Author Topic: Do I have appropriate site for WS-2902a?  (Read 612 times)

Offline 599ma

Do I have appropriate site for WS-2902a?
« on: June 23, 2019, 07:25:51 PM »
I am looking to replace an old LaCrosse weather station, and have narrowed it down to the WS-2902a. After reading the manual, I have some questions. The location is in the pictures, but here are the distances -

It is 20' high at the current position of the LaCrosse where I was considering putting the new station. It is on the mast of a 2m (144 - 148MHz) ham radio antenna. It is 60' from the house, and 20' from the closest branches of a large maple tree.

Here are my issues/questions:
1. According to the formula in the manual, it should be mounted 80' away form the (~40' high) house. It is shy of that.
2. It should be 5' away from any building - I can do that with a 5' horizontal offset from the antenna mast
3. One place says mount the sensor in direct sunlight, but another says 5' away from roof top - should I mount it above or below the peak of the garage? Below the peak would lessen the height, place it out of the direct sun (north side of garage).
4. Won't mounting in direct sunlight increase the actual temperature reading? I've always put thermometers and sensors in the shade.

Offline Chucktin

• Kathouse
Re: Do I have appropriate site for WS-2902a?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 05:41:11 AM »
Don't know that I'd be worried. Mine isn't ideally placed either, hard to do unless you've got 5 acres of cleared pasture. Also I've seen a vineyard locally had one mounted on a fence post.

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 08:07:58 AM »
Not sure how good the transmitter electronics are in RF terms. Its possible you may damage the array when you transmit with your Ham gear at that proximity.
I personally would not mount the array on an actively used transmitter mast even if the frequency range is somewhat lower.
It will still impact the array electronics unless they are very well shielded which I doubt.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 01:38:19 PM »
I suspect that being a Ham and also having had a LaCrosse station at that location he knows what to expect.  2 meter transmissions aren't usually using that much power.

anything