Author Topic: Cumulus 1 stopped updating NOAA to server on May 21st.  (Read 1351 times)

Offline rlee171

• Contributor
Cumulus 1 stopped updating NOAA to server on May 21st.
« on: June 24, 2019, 12:36:05 AM »
I noticed today checking my "Station Status" that the Cumulus NOAA entry is gone. Looked at my /Reports directory and there is no NOAAM0619 at all. Checked the NOAAM0519 and it ends on the 21st. Everything is complete in Cumulus monthly through 6/22.  I did have to change my ftp login and password, but it is working because all of my other Cumulus data is uploading fine. I also have no clue why the Cumulus NOAA report vanished from my status. Does anyone have any ideas on where to look?

hsnpar.com/wxstatus.php

Thanks
Ralph
Davis VP2 
Blitzortung Stations: 1387  1445  2315
Cumulus
GRLevel3

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Cumulus 1 stopped updating NOAA to server on May 21st.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 10:09:01 AM »
Hi Ralph,
I presume the reports are current in your \Cumulus\Reports folder?
If your standard updates are working then make sure your NOAA Setup FTP settings are the same.  You could turn on FTP logging around the midnight update to see what is happening.

Enjoy,
Paul
https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17337&p=133839&hilit=NOAA+report#p133839

Offline rlee171

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 01:14:32 PM »
Good Morning Paul,

You are correct that my local reports are in the \Cumulus\Reports folder and are complete. I believe I may have found the problem. On the Internet settings page -> Sites/Options -> Web Site, there are entries for - Host name - FTP Port - Directory - Username - Password. On the NOAA Setup page the only two options I see that would affect my problem are - Site name and FTP Directory. On the Internet settings page my Directory is public_html. That needed to be changed when I upgraded my hosting service to get PHP 7. This also allows to have multiple domains (not interested in that feature, it just is an added feature with the upgrade). In the past my root directory on the server was the common ./   That it not the case now, the host is using cPanel and when I logged in the first time there were about a dozen directories and no ./  The public_html is now the root. Had to make several changes, Cumulus of course the most important. Everything began updating as normal. I assumed the internet setting changes "picked up" the NOAA reports, the FTP Directory there is /Reports. It may need to be changed to public_html/Reports. I am going to make that change and then turn on the FTP logging tonight and we'll see what happens. Thanks for your reply, I'll let you know how it goes.

Sincerely,
Ralph
Davis VP2 
Cumulus
GRLevel3

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 03:28:25 PM »
Great to hear.  When I upgraded to cPanel a couple of years ago I also had to make the change to public_html/... in both the Internet settings and the NOAA reports settings and that is why I mentioned for both to be the same.

And from reading the linked Cumulus discussion, you can FTP your missed reports from your \Cumulus\Reports to your webserver.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline rlee171

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 05:09:27 PM »
I feel pretty confident we got this one. Based on your comment to start the ftp log around midnight, I'm assuming the NOAA update happens just once at the end of the day. If I start the log around 11:55 how long should I let it run? Maybe 00:10? I ran it earlier and it grows in size rather quickly.
Davis VP2 
Cumulus
GRLevel3

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 05:21:53 PM »
Yes, the file can grow pretty quickly...  Just checked the date/time on last nights NOAA report on my webserver and they are at 12:00:20 and 12:00:22 so just a few minutes should capture the FTP activity.

Enjoy,
P{aul

Offline rlee171

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 10:19:26 PM »
Alrighty, thanks again Paul...   
Davis VP2 
Cumulus
GRLevel3

Offline rlee171

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 04:23:10 AM »
Hate to say it - no luck...  and the odd thing is there is no bad data in the realtimeftplog. No data regarding even attempting the NOAA file transfer, no error codes or anything...  lots of "good data" for other ftp files. That would lead me to believe that Cumulus is not even attempting. I changed and double checked my NOAA ftp info.
It's 3:20 am…   I've got to get some sleep...
Davis VP2 
Cumulus
GRLevel3

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 09:20:06 AM »
That is disappointing to hear.
I presume, like the realtimeftplog.txt, the ftplog.txt also did not indicate any FTP errors?
One other thing I missed mentioning is to turn on Debug Log in addition to FTP Logging as that prompts quite a bit of additional information.

The Cumulus support forum https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/search.php?keywords=NOAA+FTP may have some better suggestions and likely they would ask for you to zip up the Debug and FTP logs.

Just as an FYI I have attached my NOAA Setup.  My Cumulus files are in public_html/weather and my reports are in /reports (not capitalized) http://www.komokaweather.com/weather/reports/NOAAMO0619.txt

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline rlee171

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 03:02:25 PM »
Thanks for the screen shot. I see two differences...  1) I have a leading slash /public_html/Reports where yours does not. Although looking at snips from my 2013 original setup (once it was up and running) it has been that way - /Reports. I have no recollection of why I separated it from the /weather subdirectory on the server. 2) The columns of monthly data are blank, always have been. I've always wondered why, but since all the data was populating in the Reports directory on the PC I never thought much of it. I am wondering if I should move the Reports directory to the /weather directory on the server just to tidy things up. I'm not sure if that would "break" anything, any scripts that may look for that directory where it is. Until making the change to the Username and Password for the server upgrade I have never touched a thing in Cumulus. For 6+ years it has been running without one hiccup. The one change I'll make for sure is removing the leading slash in the NOAA ftp field. I'm going to look at the Cumulus forum and see if there is something we missed. I'll clear out the logs and be prepared for tonight. Paul, thanks for your continued help with this issue.

Have a great day

Davis VP2 
Cumulus
GRLevel3

Offline rlee171

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 11:39:24 AM »
Ok Paul...    Success!  ./public_html/Reports  did it. I was looking at the Cumulus.ini file and all the other Cumulus FTP files are set that way. So I thought I would try it for the heck of it. It sent the entire month (so far) of June, so all I have to do is add the 7 or 8 missing days of May. I never would have thought to try that, but after reading the Cumulus forum, no one gave a definitive answer. However the references to the Cumulus ini sent me looking in that direction. Anyway, it's working and I'm glad to not have to stay up till midnight to enable and disable the logs. The realtimeftplog was  400KB after running only 6 min.  Thanks for your help.

Ralph
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 02:46:55 PM by rlee171 »
Davis VP2 
Cumulus
GRLevel3

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 05:14:52 PM »
Great... and another lesson learned by both of us.

Enjoy,
Paul

anything