Author Topic: Davis Vantage Pro 2 and Davis Vantage Vue  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Irish Hills Live

Davis Vantage Pro 2 and Davis Vantage Vue
« on: March 01, 2023, 03:29:41 PM »
I have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 and Davis Vantage Vue.  They are approximately 100’ apart, both 6’ off the ground with no obstruction from tree’s or anything else.  I clean both units twice a year. The temperature, humidity, barometer readings are identical.  When it comes to rain fall amounts are significantly different.  After the last rain event my Vantage  Pro 2 showed it received 0.88 inches of rain and the Vantage Vue showed it received 1.25 inches of rain.
I contacted Davis and they said it’s normal for rainfall amounts to differ even 10’ apart and the excessive difference in rainfall amounts doesn’t surprise them.
Anyone else with two or more units experience this type of rainfall differential?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Davis Vantage Pro 2 and Davis Vantage Vue
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 04:26:03 PM »
Yes rainfall can be variable, rainfall can differ for many reasons over short distances but to clarify you would need to have a manual gauge in the mix and/or check the rain calibration of both systems.

How old is the VP2 and does it have original tipping buckets or newer tipping spoon. The readings don't really surprise me 

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 10:29:48 PM »
I contacted Davis and they said it’s normal for rainfall amounts to differ even 10’ apart and the excessive difference in rainfall amounts doesn’t surprise them.

I have a friend who claimed that something might be wrong with my weather station because my rain differed from his cheap garden gauge. He lives 5 miles from me.  Had to explain that rain is not uniform like water out of a shower head. He still thinks our amounts should be similar. (Facepalm!)🤦‍♂️

Offline Stetson1

• Cordera Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Cordera Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 04:35:45 PM »
Likely the difference in the rain "buckets" size for one, plus the wind can affect each differently.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 04:44:29 PM »
Are you 100% sure that the gauge increments are correctly set for both gauges. I'm guessing that you are reading from the console read-out but the increments need to be correctly and separately set for both console and software.

Also, if the rainfall occurs across midnight and the time on the two consoles is not synchronised then this can cause discrepancies too (since the daily rainfall resets at midnight).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Robin

• Nanaimo Kilpatrick Road Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2023, 12:39:40 PM »
Tipping bucket/spoon rain gauges were never intended to replace standard gauges but when unmanned sites began popping up there were few other options. The best one should expect is +/- 10%. I use an Environment Canada Type B standard gauge to cross check, these gauges are accurate to 0.2mm (.01in). If I find my Davis tipping spoon is drifting too far from the Type B I’ll adjust it accordingly, I never do this because of a single event however as these discrepancies can be real.

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 02:28:23 PM »
Have you tried testing both?  Pour the same amount of water into each.

anything