Author Topic: Davis VP2+ - Siting Solar/UV sensors with Remote Anemometer  (Read 629 times)

Offline K6GKM

• CamWX.com
  • Contributor
    • CamWX
Davis VP2+ - Siting Solar/UV sensors with Remote Anemometer
« on: February 26, 2023, 02:05:02 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm a current Davis Vantage Vue owner who has never really been happy with how I've been forced to place my sensor suite.  The siting sucks, I'm having sensor failures, and it's not in an easily serviceable spot.  I'm finally gearing up for a replacement and I'm spec'ing out a Davis Vantage Pro2+ with remote anemometer/sensor transmitter kit.   The plan so far is to site the rain gauge and thermo/hygro sensors down low and the anemometer up high on a mast off my roofline.

Here's where I'm looking for guidance: I don't want to site my solar and UV sensors where they're designed to sit with my rain gauge and thermo/hygro sensor pack.  They'd get shaded in the morning and late afternoon.  I'd much rather mount them up high with my anemometer assembly, so they're completely clear of the shadows thrown by my house and nearby trees.  I can't seem to find a ready-made mounting solution, though, to securely mount the UV and solar sensors with my anemometer assembly. 

Has anyone attempted this kind of setup?  If so, how did you mount the solar and UV sensors?

Thanks,
Grant Miles
Camarillo, CA, USA
Owner/Admin - CamWX.com
SKYWARN Spotter
Station Hardware: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24hr FARS
Station Software: Weather Display, Weather Message, FWI Calculator, StartWatch, with social media & messaging automation using Make.com, Twilio, and Brevo.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
Re: Davis VP2+ - Siting Solar/UV sensors with Remote Anemometer
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 02:12:47 PM »
Yes, but solar only. I just used a piece of bent aluminium sheet to knock up a bracket to clamp to the pole.

If you aren't already, be aware though that a VP2 console will not receive solar/UV data from your anemometer transmitter. A WeatherLink Live will though.

* It is possible to get the solar/UV on the VP2 console, but you would have to makeup your own bit of hardware to do it. I created such a relay - it has run for years without even being power cycled
Mark

Offline K6GKM

• CamWX.com
  • Contributor
    • CamWX
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 02:19:46 PM »
If you aren't already, be aware though that a VP2 console will not receive solar/UV data from your anemometer transmitter. A WeatherLink Live will though.

Ah, I wasn't aware of this critical piece of information.  Thanks for that.  I'll be looking into a WLL as well.  I've been following along with the other discussion about the new 6313 Consoles - they sound great in theory, but I'm very hesitant to buy up the very first version of brand new hardware.  If WLL is truly the only way to receive Solar/UV sensor data sent on the second transmitter, it looks like I'm adding a 6100 to my list.
Grant Miles
Camarillo, CA, USA
Owner/Admin - CamWX.com
SKYWARN Spotter
Station Hardware: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24hr FARS
Station Software: Weather Display, Weather Message, FWI Calculator, StartWatch, with social media & messaging automation using Make.com, Twilio, and Brevo.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 06:06:31 AM »
The 6313 WLC will also display the solar/UV from the wind transmitter, but at present does not have the capability to interface to local PWS programs like Cumulus MX, Weather Display, Weewx etc.
Mark