Author Topic: GoDaddy sucking  (Read 1361 times)

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
GoDaddy sucking
« on: February 07, 2023, 03:57:31 PM »
Not really a question.  But GoDaddy is sucking today.  Just checking to see if any other GoDaddy people are having issues.

Noticed around 10 am, my site was in-accessible.  I'm able to FTP files up just fine.  But the site doesn't respond.

After spending an hour on chat, they told me "it's your content, nothing more we can do".  Server won't even serve up a simple 74 kb JPG file, but it's my content??

I'll be contacting ICDSoft when I get home.  This is crap.  (insert non-forum friendly expletives here"
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: GoDaddy sucking
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 04:10:32 PM »
Hi,
I was going to [Like] your post as very often I have issues with them, but today hasn't been as bad as some other days.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 04:59:48 PM »
I can't remember the last time ICD was really down and inaccessible.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 06:02:14 AM »
Check out Ionos, formerly 1&1. Went to them after GoDaddy. ZERO issues.

https://www.ionos.com/hosting/web-hosting
Tony

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 06:27:27 AM »
I used to use 1&1 some time ago and they were a pain in the proverbial, don't know if now as IONOS they are any better as I moved away. As I'm in the UK I use a UK based company with UK based servers.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline weatherdoc

• Senior Contributor
    • Willowsford Farm Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 07:30:22 AM »
I had used 1&1/IONOS for several years and it was great. Then one day in 2021 only about 50% of my files were being ftp'd. I stopped all ftp's except clientraw.txt. Same issue - only about half of the clientraw.txt uploads made it. IONOS said it was an issue on my end, even though I hadn't changed anything and my Internet upload speed was always >900mbps. After a couple of weeks of back-and-forth with them, I canceled my subscription and started using my own Synology NAS as my webserver. Best thing I ever did for my weather website! Very big upfront cost to buy the server ($300) and a couple of drives ($100), but no monthly cost. My return on investment should pay off in about 3 years, unless the hardware fails before then!

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 08:49:04 AM »
Well, I called GoDaddy after I got off work.  Their lovely chat system was down.  That just inspires confidence.

I at least got an American sounding tech support person.  I'm hard of hearing, so accents make it really hard for me to understand some people.

Anyhow, took me 6 minutes to speak to a person.  Had me on hold for like 2 minutes.  Asked me a couple of questions.  Put me on hold for maybe 5 minutes.  Came back and said "Yeah, we've been getting a few calls on this server.  Something is wrong with it.  Our guys are working on it.  I can't give you a good estimate of time.  But rest assured, our guys will get it back up ASAP."

So that was honest and direct.  That's all I ask.  Versus the chat support people telling me to go pound sand.

My site is back up this morning, so they obviously fixed it.  But I think I'm going to set aside some time this summer/fall and move.  No sense in paying twice as much with GoDaddy vs what ICD Soft will charge.  I just paid up for another year with GD in December, so I wasn't planning on switching just yet.  Get my money's worth for now.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline andro700

• Chuck
  • Forecaster
    • Gobles Weather Page
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2023, 12:56:48 PM »
I use ICD Soft and love it. I have used for 3+ years no issues at all. I use their online support and they get back to you in a timely manner. Most of the issues was with my permissions.

Chuck

anything