Author Topic: WeatherLink Console 6313 has arrived!  (Read 40283 times)

Offline cmelby76

Re: WeatherLink Console 6313 has arrived!
« Reply #200 on: March 30, 2023, 03:49:29 PM »
I have noticed my signals are weaker compared to my WLL. It looks like
Davis can update the radio so maybe they can increase the sensitivity a little?

Offline Frischluft

« Reply #201 on: March 30, 2023, 04:44:55 PM »
So thanks for the creative solution but that ties up one of the VP2 consoles for the far away station - but its creative - ill have to look ans see how to do that interim

Offline Frischluft

« Reply #202 on: March 30, 2023, 04:47:34 PM »
yes - i hope they can turn up sensitivity. Without that its a repeater situation for me and thats not why I spent $400 to add another $375 or so in transmission due to internal anten.  Hope they find a fix or I'll be looking to modify my approach

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #203 on: March 30, 2023, 08:02:35 PM »
I'm not sure re-transmitting from a VP2 console is a creative solution, it may be a temporary adhoc interim solution but the 6313 range spec (on paper) appears to be same as the Vue or VP2 console, up to 1000 feet (300m) line of sight or 200-400 feet (75 to 120m) through walls. One would expect if the VP2 or Vue console has no issues then the 6313 should not either?   

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #204 on: March 30, 2023, 09:00:44 PM »
yes - i hope they can turn up sensitivity. Without that its a repeater situation for me and thats not why I spent $400 to add another $375 or so in transmission due to internal anten.  Hope they find a fix or I'll be looking to modify my approach

Doesn’t sound fixable via a firmware update. Hopefully I am wrong.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Mchd17

« Reply #205 on: March 30, 2023, 09:55:21 PM »
I have notice less reception with the 6313. Ive had my vp2 console in the same spot for years. Replaced it with the 6313 and kept losing connection to wind repeater. Had to move console to gain a stable good connection. My anemometer is 1/4 mile away, solar repeater is about 300 feet away from house and mounted about 25 feet high. My setup has always worked well. Not with the 6313. I even had to set the 6313 close to a window. It's aggravating for sure. Might daisy chain another repeater up next to the house.

Edit - I also have a WLL and have this setup further inside the house, zero issues with that.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 09:57:10 PM by Mchd17 »

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #206 on: March 30, 2023, 10:04:45 PM »
I have notice less reception with the 6313. Ive had my vp2 console in the same spot for years. Replaced it with the 6313 and kept losing connection to wind repeater. Had to move console to gain a stable good connection. My anemometer is 1/4 mile away, solar repeater is about 300 feet away from house and mounted about 25 feet high. My setup has always worked well. Not with the 6313. I even had to set the 6313 close to a window. It's aggravating for sure. Might daisy chain another repeater up next to the house.

Edit - I also have a WLL and have this setup further inside the house, zero issues with that.

Sounds like the perfect issue for Davis support. If you live inside the US, call them. Email is too slow.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Mchd17

« Reply #207 on: March 30, 2023, 10:09:17 PM »
Sounds like the perfect issue for Davis support. If you live inside the US, call them. Email is too slow.

I was actually considering that, but dreading the reaponse

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #208 on: March 30, 2023, 10:37:27 PM »
Without an exterior console antenna and no change to the power output of the ISS, why is this surprising? One thing that made Davis a "go to" PWS. More "progress" I guess... :roll:

Offline dshipes68

« Reply #209 on: March 30, 2023, 11:22:24 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm stuck on the Downloading files.  This is my second unit as my first unit got bricked.  I've restarted a few times but no dice.

Offline Frischluft

« Reply #210 on: March 31, 2023, 12:19:01 AM »
Guys -
Im in the same place. The work around is not good - the point of my new unit was to clean up the arch. of multiple stations or to multiple receivers for me in a simple single solution. Based on my "walk around" non-scientific experimentation its not even close. My actual experience with range is 50% and I am not an advocate of spending another $400 in repeaters to use this $400 new console - that makes it an $800 expense. I did call them and they said they wanted to learn more but did not call me back as promised. I think service wanted engineering to chime in - I will call again tomorrow and be polite but this is a non-starter for me. There are other software things that make me nuts but those are fixable over time - I believe this is hardware and the lack of external antenna. They should have disclosed the limitation. BTW with no real way to keep the screen on while on battery its really hard to do field calibration for things like anemometer orientation.. another to be fixed item, but range - thats concerning to me - we will see.

Offline Frischluft

« Reply #211 on: March 31, 2023, 12:29:23 AM »
By the way - Mchd17 - thanks for confirming my experience - also there are other users on Facebook saying the same - so its not a one-off anomaly for you or I - it seems to be a limitation - we will see what the team at Davis do .... 

Offline tom899

« Reply #212 on: March 31, 2023, 07:10:38 AM »
Hello! I have a new 6313 on the way!
If someone would be so kind to tell me how long the power cable is?
I appreciate it!
Tom
-Tom

Offline Frischluft

« Reply #213 on: March 31, 2023, 07:12:51 AM »
Its a USB-C - from traditional, so about 5 foot but Im sure a standard after market would work

Offline tom899

« Reply #214 on: March 31, 2023, 07:36:57 AM »
Its a USB-C - from traditional, so about 5 foot but Im sure a standard after market would work
Thank you, I need about 8', will order one
-Tom

Offline Frischluft

« Reply #215 on: March 31, 2023, 07:41:28 AM »
Tom - Actually got off my ass from my coffee and measured - 6' is what I have from the box. Standard wide type A to Type C

Hope that helps

mark

Offline tom899

« Reply #216 on: March 31, 2023, 07:43:27 AM »
Tom - Actually got off my ass from my coffee and measured - 6' is what I have from the box. Standard wide type A to Type C

Hope that helps

mark
Yes, thank you Mark!
-Tom

Offline scubaboy

« Reply #217 on: April 01, 2023, 12:29:21 AM »
During the initial set up process, the WiFi setup went well and connected with no issues. It took quite a while to update, but the screen warned about that. My real problem was that the map screen where you touch your location was going bonkers and jumping around. I finally just picked a spot on the map (Nebraska or something that it could land on), and went on to the station configuration screens.  ](*,)

I ran into the same kind of problems there, with station configuration and selection. The choices would not "take" and I just set an ISS and Wind, but couldn't get stable screens to make any detailed configuration settings. Very weird and disturbing.

Received mine yesterday, the touch screen is behaving exactly like yours, but I cannot get though the setup process due to the touch screen problems.

I know it is not a hardware problem with the touch screen, as it works perfectly on all areas of the screen until I get to the weatherlink account login - then the entire right side of the screen stops responding to touch usually, but sometimes it starts entering its own period character, repeated, and the only way to stop it is to reset the console. I've reset the console and gone through the setup 5 times, same problem each time. Yes I did remove the screen protective plastic sheet.

So I think it is a software bug, and it sounds like a bug fixing firmware update is weeks away. Until then I've got a $355 paper weight!

Offline scubaboy

« Reply #218 on: April 01, 2023, 01:53:25 AM »

I tried to use their support contact form, it indicates I cannot get support by this method as I have "opted out of ALL communications"! Well I have not, I get Davis emails regularly. They use "AEM" to manage email communications, which does NOT show me opted out. What a crap show!

I will not be giving Davis any more of my money!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 02:08:24 AM by scubaboy »

Offline Andy1210

« Reply #219 on: April 01, 2023, 05:34:03 AM »
I raised my question about the ticker tape forecast not working when you go online to Weatherlink with Davis support, and received this terse and pretty unhelpful response:

Andrew,
Offline mode gives you forecast data on the ticker that is just not available in Online mode.  To use a different Wifi, tap on the house, then the guy in the top right, then under "Console Configuration" tap on "Network".

Bit of a shame really in the age of advanced technology - that kind of detail in the forecast and being able to see all your detailed info and charts would have been great.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #220 on: April 01, 2023, 05:47:53 AM »
@Andy1210 Hmm, I wonder if this means that that when offline the console reverts to the traditional Zambretti-type pressure-based forecast. So maybe the code for this is still built into the console. That would make sense if the console is truly offline because obviously it wouldn't be able to receive the more accurate model-based forecast.

Of course, when online the model-based forecast is comprehensively available on the Summary/forecast screen. But I suspect that you like seeing it scroll across the ticker area. Hopefully that will come in a future firmware version.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #221 on: April 01, 2023, 08:07:48 AM »
During the initial set up process, the WiFi setup went well and connected with no issues. It took quite a while to update, but the screen warned about that. My real problem was that the map screen where you touch your location was going bonkers and jumping around. I finally just picked a spot on the map (Nebraska or something that it could land on), and went on to the station configuration screens.  ](*,)

I ran into the same kind of problems there, with station configuration and selection. The choices would not "take" and I just set an ISS and Wind, but couldn't get stable screens to make any detailed configuration settings. Very weird and disturbing.

Received mine yesterday, the touch screen is behaving exactly like yours, but I cannot get though the setup process due to the touch screen problems.

I know it is not a hardware problem with the touch screen, as it works perfectly on all areas of the screen until I get to the weatherlink account login - then the entire right side of the screen stops responding to touch usually, but sometimes it starts entering its own period character, repeated, and the only way to stop it is to reset the console. I've reset the console and gone through the setup 5 times, same problem each time. Yes I did remove the screen protective plastic sheet.

So I think it is a software bug, and it sounds like a bug fixing firmware update is weeks away. Until then I've got a $355 paper weight!

Try the Factory Reset.

At first, I tried the "R" button didn't help get communications back after I entered the location via the "Search" function on the map. Everything went OK except it wouldn't talk with the weatherlink.com mother ship.

I then did a Factory Reset from the touch screen.

After the Factory Reset, the map was stable as was everything else, including the upload. As I indicated before, I suspect that something got corrupted in memory and the reset cleared it out.

Greg H.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 08:18:18 AM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline scubaboy

« Reply #222 on: April 01, 2023, 10:07:22 AM »
Try the Factory Reset.

At first, I tried the "R" button didn't help get communications back after I entered the location via the "Search" function on the map. Everything went OK except it wouldn't talk with the weatherlink.com mother ship.

After the Factory Reset, the map was stable as was everything else, including the upload. As I indicated before, I suspect that something got corrupted in memory and the reset cleared it out.

Greg H.

Not possible to Factory Reset as the setup has to be finished to have access to the console configuration screens, which I could not do. But I did ACCIDENTALLY fix it temporarily so I could finish the setup. I left it unplugged from power until it was dead, then plugging it back in, the touch screen still worked badly, but well enough I was able to log into my account.
But after running about 30 minutes, the lower right side of the touch screen no longer responds, just like it did when I could not log on. Guess I have to contact Davis support for a replacement.

Offline tom899

« Reply #223 on: April 01, 2023, 10:35:27 AM »
Try the Factory Reset.

Greg H.

Not possible to Factory Reset as the setup has to be finished to have access to the console configuration screens, which I could not do. But I did ACCIDENTALLY fix it temporarily so I could finish the setup. I left it unplugged from power until it was dead, then plugging it back in, the touch screen still worked badly, but well enough I was able to log into my account.
But after running about 30 minutes, the lower right side of the touch screen no longer responds, just like it did when I could not log on. Guess I have to contact Davis support for a replacement.
Just wondering, where did you purchase from? I have one coming Monday, maybe a bad batch?
-Tom

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #224 on: April 01, 2023, 01:31:03 PM »
Try the Factory Reset.

Greg H.

Try the Search button on the map page, or just pick some random location and finish the installation. Once you Factory Reset, it will be stable. I clicked somewhere on the map when it was jumping around and it set that location. Since you will be wiping it out with the Factory Reset, it won't matter where it is.

I don't remember the exact sequence of events, but I did start with a random location when it was jumping around.

Factory Reset is on the Device Information screen under the "person" icon tab. The button is near the bottom of the Device Info screen.

If you can manage to get to the Factory Reset, I think that it will take care of the problem.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF