Author Topic: WeatherLink Console 6313 has arrived!  (Read 38055 times)

Offline lurk

WeatherLink Console 6313 has arrived!
« on: February 06, 2023, 05:24:25 PM »
Hey everyone, the new console just came in. Here's some photos. It's been about 10 minutes and I'm still waiting for the update to complete. Will be uploading more photos.

Let me know if you have any questions or photo of anything specific and I can upload it!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline lurk

Re: WeatherLink Console 6313 has arrived!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 08:06:12 PM »
After an hour, it seemed to hang up on the update even though the animation was still running. I couldn't find a way to restart it from this screen and there are no obvious physical buttons, so I attempted to reboot it by taking it off power. It didn't turn off due to the battery backup.

I noticed 3 pinhole buttons on the back behind the mounting point labeled (P, R, and U). There doesn't appear to be anything about those buttons in the documentation. I decided to try pressing the "R" button to see if it meant "restart." It restarted immediately after pressing it and the update installed fine.

Upon reboot, I did notice there was some screen burn-in from the updating screen, as pictured. This is a little concerning considering the unit was only on for a little over an hour.

Offline tandy1000

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 09:47:00 PM »
Congrats! Do you have a VP2 console? Would be great to see a pic of it next to that, and maybe a video of how the realtime updates look? I’m assuming that burn-in was very temporary… I hope!

Offline lurk

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 12:44:02 AM »
Thank you! Here's some side-by-sides with a VP2 console.

Some initial notes and impressions:
- The home button at the top is the only touchable object on the front screen
- The console doesn't download or sync any existing data from weatherlink.com. Connecting this to weatherlink.com sets it up as its own console and station.
- There doesn't appear to be a way to view AirLink data in the settings
- Live data updates as quickly as the original VP2 console. Wind speed and direction are in sync while side-by-side.
- Charts are limited to displaying 2 parameters
- Viewing angle is pretty good. Text is legible from any angle you can see it, and the colors don't appear washed out at extreme angles
- Screen DPI is good especially at about an arm's length away. You can start to notice the pixels at about a foot away from the screen

I'll try to get some videos within the next couple of days to show live updates and screen/menu responsiveness.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 12:18:19 AM by lurk »

Offline Chiky33

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 04:40:44 AM »
Good morning,

Beautiful, you are in luck!!!! [tup]
If you don't mind, can you tell us which supplier did you order it from and which country do you live in? :-P

Thank you so much.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 12:24:11 PM »

It seems that if the internet connection goes out, it probably stops working, but the original console  works?

The original console only has past data if it also has a logger.  If it is like the Weatherlink Live, which I think it is if connected to the local network, then it sends data to Weatherlink.com and if no internet then it is logged and sent when internet is restored.  WLL works great this way.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline lurk

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 01:00:24 PM »
I ordered directly from davisinstruments.com. I'm in Southern California, USA

The only port on the unit is the USB-C port; there is no logger port.

The new console does work without an internet connection. I'd describe the new unit as a new Console + WeatherLink Live 6100 combined into one unit. When the internet is cut off, it stores the data locally and then uploads it when the connection is restored, just like the 6100 or console+logger.

Quote from: Davis Instruments 6313 Manual
Can I power my console from a USB port on my computer?
No. The computer USB port will not supply sufficient power. Use the included 2A AC adapter.
I tried plugging it into my PC and the power light turned green, and surprisingly it even showed up on the PC as a device. Upon plugging it in, it prompts for syncing media or viewing files in a folder. There are no contents of the folder.

It comes up as a device named "6313-WB801" with "DavisInstruments" as the manufacturer. The battery is also visible from this screen.

At 25% brightness with WiFi turned on, the power consumption alternates between about 3 and 5 watts every second. My guess is that it jumps to about 5 watts when it receives data from the sensors and/or transmits the data over the network for WeatherLink Live and the app.

I'll test over time to see if my PC can keep the battery charged.

Interestingly, there is a micro SD port on the side of the console. This isn't mentioned in the manual.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 01:07:11 PM by lurk »

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 03:44:04 PM »
- The console doesn't download or sync any existing data from weatherlink.com. Connecting this to weatherlink.com sets it up as its own console and station.

It should be able to connect to your existing weatherlink account though?! So you are able to view your data..

5. The next screen will allow you to create or log into your
WeatherLink account. Either create your account, log in to
an existing account
, or skip this section.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 03:46:28 PM by Mapantz »

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2023, 03:52:35 PM »

It should be able to connect to your existing weatherlink account though?! So you are able to view your data..

WeatherLink.com doesn't work like that, if you want to view your data then it's either via the App or login into WeatherLink.com?

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2023, 04:01:58 PM »
WeatherLink.com doesn't work like that, if you want to view your data then it's either via the App or login into WeatherLink.com?

Well, Davis has missed a huge trick with that, if it's correct?!

An Android-based touchscreen tablet with Wi-Fi access.. they could've implemented their website as a PWA or something, in to the console, so that you could view your already stored - and currently storing - data.

That's cack.

There doesn't appear to be a way to view AirLink data in the settings

That's also cack, with a capital C

It's ridiculous that they cannot provide a way to view AirLink data, when it's one of their devices. Proper facepalm.

I was contemplating one of these, but not anymore.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 04:07:42 PM by Mapantz »

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2023, 04:22:18 PM »
Does this support the wifi logger?
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2023, 04:42:02 PM »
I asked Ryan at Scaled Instruments about notification of shipping and he replied...

"Yes indeed I will.  I am very anxious to get the shipment but to be honest with you I don't think it will be mid February as they have indicated.  My gut (based upon nothing really) leads me to believe end of the month.  I put an order in for 75 units the instant the units were announced so I am hoping to be one of the first to get some."

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2023, 05:27:24 PM »
Lurk, thanks for the unboxing and all the other photos!

I ordered mine from Scaled Instruments. I ordered the WLL directly from Davis when it came out and I sort of regretted paying full price.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2023, 05:42:37 PM »
Does this support the wifi logger?

Oh no, doesn't support any installable logger (as such) 

Offline lurk

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2023, 08:50:17 PM »
Lurk, thanks for the unboxing and all the other photos!

I ordered mine from Scaled Instruments. I ordered the WLL directly from Davis when it came out and I sort of regretted paying full price.

Greg H.
My pleasure! I hope you get your unit soon! I couldn't contain my excitement and ordered direct from Davis for the best chance at getting this ASAP. I got my VP2+ at the end of 2022 and a new console was really the only thing on my wishlist.

5. The next screen will allow you to create or log into your
WeatherLink account. Either create your account, log in to
an existing account
, or skip this section.
Yeah it does connect to an existing weatherlink account, but there is no way to to sync or even view data from an existing station on that account. Synchronizing with weatherlink.com sets this up an entirely separate console and station. I now have both the new console and WeatherLink 6100, as well as duplicate entries for my VP2+, on my weatherlink.com account.

I really wish it would allow syncing (or at least viewing) the data from my existing 6100+station. I just wanted a more modern screen to view my live data and to have easier, more intuitive access to my existing data uploaded from the 6100.

After more testing, I will be removing the weatherlink.com upload from the new console and using wifi only for system upgrades and syncing time. The 6100 would have a more reliable uptime due to lower power consumption and the fact that it doesn't run android, which requires occasional updates and has more potential to freeze and lock up. According to the manuals, the 6100 can run on battery backup for up to 13 days while the new 6313 can only run for "less than a day" on battery backup.

Another thing to note is that the interface can be a little sluggish. Sometimes it takes a second for the screen to react to actions and load data when switching between tabs and navigating the options menus. This makes changing chart parameters a not-so-quick thing to do.

I think the new console would be more appropriately priced at the $200-300 USD price point. For $400, I would have liked having sync/view features for existing data on weatherlink.com, a snappy interface/viewing experience, and the ability to view AirLink data. I'm hoping that they will add weatherlink.com sync/viewing features and viewing of AirLink data at a later point via system updates.

Offline ChrisB

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2023, 05:11:22 AM »
Thanks for the pictures, they're great.

After initially being excited for this, the reported lack of syncing and not being able to show AirLink data is a real downer. Sounding more and more like an expensive standalone gadget to show live data on a colour screen in the home, rather than being a genuinely useful upgrade to the operation of the overall station. Hopefully I can be proved wrong.
http://www.kennfordweather.com - Devon, U.K

Davis Vantage Vue | Davis AirLink | WiFi Logger

Offline mongo

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2023, 03:14:16 PM »
Just an FYI here. Scientific Sales sent me email stating release date for entire US pushed to mid March or earlier.
FW7415
KCOCASTL611
Stella Ranch WLL

Offline scudwatcher

• Billy T. Forecaster Webmaster csraweather.net
  • Senior Contributor
  • Amateur Radio KC4SRA csraweather.net
    • CSRA Weather
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2023, 03:23:33 PM »
Yeah, just received that same email from Scientific Sales....beginning to wonder if this new tech gadget is really worth the price.  I spoke with a Davis Instruments Technical Support individual that stressed anonymity stating that he has been testing this console and, quite frankly, it performs just like the WEATHERLINK LIVE, but the WLL is nearly half the cost.  IDK, SMH, really disappointed in Davis Instruments for this log-awaited console! 

Offline colonieweather

• Contributor
    • Colonie Weather Online
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2023, 04:19:30 PM »
I'm disappointed that they left out cabled ISS users....
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
WeatherLink v6.0.5
colonieweatheronline.com
Wx Underground - KNYCOLON3
APRS/CWOP - EW0288

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2023, 05:08:56 PM »
Perhaps it is worth remembering that this is simply v1.00 of the new console. At a guess, Davis were anxious to get the new product to market at the earliest opportunity and this needed the feature set to be limited to a necessary minimum for the initial launch.

The fact that console's whole operation is firmware based means that many features can be added in future and and when development resource is available and if Davis feel that increased sales would result. So, for example, there is no reason in principle why Airlink data couldn't be added since the console has WiFi capability. Ditto better synchronisation with weatherlink.com. Obviously this isn't so easily applicable to connection of a cabled ISS, but even this might not be out of the question for a future iteration of the console.

Perhaps worth waiting for v1.1 or v1.2 of the console firmware before writing it off too completely. Yes, I know these extra features are not available right now and that will disappoint some. But I imagine that 6313 console sales will be supply limited for the next few months.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2023, 05:27:20 PM »
I am not impressed to put out almost the cost of a new weather station.   The color sucks,  blue and white, the screen is cluttered.
I use my iphone weatherlink app to see what the conditions are , anywhere I can get either a cellular or wifi connection.   Then I can use my programmable thermostat app to change the temperature, or whatever else.

I would recommend waiting to see if Davis comes out with some other attachment to the VP2  worth upgrading your console. I am content with what I have.   Good luck
https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2023, 06:23:30 PM »
Anybody who has been paying attention in recent years re the direction of Microsoft's, Google, phone OS's and Davis's ever steady direction with WeatherLink.com, WLL and their other changes will have an inclination of where this is all going  :roll:

Offline Skijackz

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2023, 10:05:58 PM »
I just received the WeatherLink Console as well. It looks like I don’t even need to use the WeatherLink live as this is re-transmitting the data to weatherlink.com. They basically do the same thing but one has a really nice screen and is more expensive. Biggest issue is that Airlink isn’t on the console where it is on WLL.

Offline Chiky33

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2023, 02:01:26 AM »
Hello,
If a WLL is already sending data from a VP2 to Weatherlink.com, what happen if the new 6313 console send the same data from VP2 to Weatherlink?
The data will be duplicated I imagine? :shock:

Is it possible to disable the WLL without losing the old data already transmitted and switch to the new one?
With the new console is it possible to connect with the mobile app (Android, iOs) at the frequency of 2.5 seconds in the same local network as the WLL did?

Thanks

Offline scudwatcher

• Billy T. Forecaster Webmaster csraweather.net
  • Senior Contributor
  • Amateur Radio KC4SRA csraweather.net
    • CSRA Weather
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2023, 06:50:51 AM »
Well, I may just tinker with the new console when it arrives between now and mid-March.  GREAT QUESTION posted by Chiky33!  I wonder if I can just utilize the new console as a RETRANSMITTED Console until Davis Instruments send out firmware updates?  Just a thought....