Author Topic: PSA: Don't use Acurite Solar Radiation Shield with 604M lightning detctor.  (Read 1249 times)

Offline rct

• W2RCT
I've now lost two Acurite 6045M lighting sensors that were in Acurite Solar Radiation Shields

The plastic spring clip that is supposed to hold the "tower" sensor inside isn't strong enough for the 6045m so it eventually falls out.

Note: The lightning sensor uses 4 x AA batteries so it is considerably heavier than the 592TXR that the shield was designed for, as it only uses 2 x AA batteries.

What happened in both cases was the lightning sensor fell out, landed on it's back and eventually got rained on. There are openings for the humidity sensor/piezo beeper on the front. I stupidly thought after the first one that it was my fault that I must not have gotten the sensor correctly attached inside the shield. So I stupidly put another lightning sensor in only to have the same thing happen a few months later.

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
  • AcuRite Atlas (wind ext. & lightning detector)
Re: PSA: Don't use Acurite Solar Radiation Shield with 604M lightning detctor.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 08:36:14 AM »
Sometimes what I have done with using their radiation shield is I attached a wire tie at the bottom through the holes diagonally if I thought a sensor could fall out. Just an idea. I have never owned their lightning detector. Just an idea.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 09:10:55 AM »
Maybe they have redesigned the solar shield from the one I have, but I have the exact opposite problem in that its hard to pull the lightning sensor out to change the batteries. Mine is very snugged and secured.

I always make sure to push the lighting sensor all the way into the solar shield until the two center plastic tabs click over the sensors handle.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 12:24:11 PM »
Interestingly, I use the Acurite shield to house two of my Ambient Weather sensors ... the WH31L lightning sensor and a WH31E temp humidity sensor. Both of these sensors are light weight with only 2 AA batteries each. I have the temp/humidity sensor hanging from the center hook of the enclosure and the lightning sensor attached to one of the side vanes with a small zip tie. So far it has worked well for me. I got the Acurite shield instead of an Ambient shield because it is inexpensive and its shape allowed me to fit both sensors. This thread shows some pictures of the installed sensors: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=42649
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline rct

• W2RCT
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 02:52:17 PM »
Maybe they have redesigned the solar shield from the one I have, but I have the exact opposite problem in that its hard to pull the lightning sensor out to change the batteries. Mine is very snugged and secured.

I felt that way when I first installed it.

I always make sure to push the lighting sensor all the way into the solar shield until the two center plastic tabs click over the sensors handle.

When it happened the first time I didn't think I had gotten it securely attached after the last battery change.

When I put the replacement sensor in, I took extra care to make sure it seemed like the tabs engaged.

I live in an area with high winds, Even though the assembly is protected from some directions, wind is probably a factor.

Sometimes what I have done with using their radiation shield is I attached a wire tie at the bottom through the holes diagonally if I thought a sensor could fall out. Just an idea. I have never owned their lightning detector. Just an idea.

Yes, after the first fall out I should have done this.

Interestingly, I use the Acurite shield to house two of my Ambient Weather sensors ... the WH31L lightning sensor and a WH31E temp humidity sensor. Both of these sensors are light weight with only 2 AA batteries each. I have the temp/humidity sensor hanging from the center hook of the enclosure and the lightning sensor attached to one of the side vanes with a small zip tie. So far it has worked well for me. I got the Acurite shield instead of an Ambient shield because it is inexpensive and its shape allowed me to fit both sensors. This thread shows some pictures of the installed sensors: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=42649

That's interesting.  I also use a bunch of Ambient Weather 433mhz sensors the F007TH (and the indoor FT012TH). They are relatively inexpensive and have 8 "channel" settings.

I had looked into the Ambient shield because of how difficult the F007th is to mount -- it doesn't have a hanger, only a tiny/shallow hole.  I was surprised how expensive the Ambient shields were at the time. The Acurite shield seemed like a pretty good value.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 11:41:33 AM »
I would contact the company and explain their RS is defective for this sensor, long shot but maybe they would send you a new one.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

anything