Author Topic: Reporting bad weather stations to WeatherUnderground  (Read 962 times)

Offline gyrex

Reporting bad weather stations to WeatherUnderground
« on: November 07, 2019, 07:14:03 PM »
There used to be the ability to report bad weather stations to WeatherUnderground but I can't find this facility anymore. Did Wunderground remove this?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Reporting bad weather stations to WeatherUnderground
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 07:27:58 PM »
Yup.

When it was around it didn't do much good anyway.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 09:05:08 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline gyrex

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 08:54:53 PM »
Yup.

When it was around it didn't much good anyway.
That's true. It's a shame wunderground doesn't have some kind of algorithm which automatically sends the owner of a station an email if their station is reporting figures outside other stations nearby. Did wunderground get rid of the irritating Netatmo stations?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 09:09:38 PM »
Yup.

It's a shame wunderground doesn't have some kind of algorithm which automatically sends the owner of a station an email if their station is reporting figures outside other stations nearby.
I think, without question, WU got waaaay too big for their own britches. To think that they could process a literal several hundred thousand PWS across the entire planet ...and devise and algorithm that alerts a bad seed, even remotely, is utterly ridiculous. What's even more ridiculous...they said they could. :roll:

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 09:19:20 PM »
Yes Netatmo stations were kicked out. Because originally every single Netatmo showed up without the owner doing anything. But I think there was some way that they were able to come back but I think it required owner action and thus not many ever came back.

There are just so many weather stations on WU that it would be a difficult thing to manage regarding kicking bad stations out. Most users would probably not get the message or understand what they need to do to improve their station. Most haven't got a clue and they've never heard of wxforum.net. I know neighbors that have their crappy station show up on WU and they are delighted and many don't realize that other people even care about the quality of their data and many have no clue that their data is available to everyone.

I think if you want a better network of stations then go to CWOP. But even then although there are fewer stations and most are better quality stations some good ones are not maintained. I make an effort to reach out in my area to find the bad stations and I email the CWOP stations that degrade the neighbor data and I offer help. Most of the time they just don't know that their station has gone bad. Most common problem is Davis stations with bad humidity sensors that need replacing (well most of them are all Davis anyway, not that others are better). In this case CWOP station do affect each other in the Gladstonefamily quality analysis website. It used to work better. Unfortunately as of a couple months ago Gladstonefamily has deteriorated and it is just lack of maintenance and partly part of the fragile dynamics of all the pieces that make up CWOP with different people and different organizations and getting them to each do their part.  But it still works somewhat.  You can also get some good station analysis from Mesowest and from MADIS Surface Map.

Then there is AWEKAS which I wish more people would join. They do neighbor comparisons too.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:37:36 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline gyrex

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 09:32:44 PM »
Yup.

It's a shame wunderground doesn't have some kind of algorithm which automatically sends the owner of a station an email if their station is reporting figures outside other stations nearby.
I think, without question, WU got waaaay too big for their own britches. To think that they could process a literal several hundred thousand PWS across the entire planet ...and devise and algorithm that alerts a bad seed, even remotely, is utterly ridiculous. What's even more ridiculous...they said they could. :roll:
It would be pretty easy to write an algorithm which automatically compares stations, finds anomalies, emails the station owner and takes the station offline temporarily until the issue is fixed. It wouldn't require too much database CPU/time either.

Anyway, it appears that wunderground data is pretty spoilt at the moment.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 09:36:45 PM »
Yup.

It would be pretty easy to write an algorithm which automatically compares stations, finds anomalies, emails the station owner and takes the station offline temporarily until the issue is fixed. It wouldn't require too much database CPU/time either.
Well have at it....

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 10:26:13 PM »
If it ever happens, I hope it’s more accurate than their coveted “Gold Badge”.