Author Topic: GPS  (Read 941 times)

Offline vinesweather

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vines Weather
GPS
« on: March 07, 2020, 03:34:13 AM »
Hi All
My GPS was working fine, then it stopped. I did unplug it from the box to tidy up the cables. Now nothing. Any suggestions?
Many thanks
Chris

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: GPS
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 07:51:53 AM »
I had one situation couple of years ago.... I found the barrel part of the onboard connector had broken loose *threaded shield* from the housing. Took a pair of side cutters, and gently 'creased' the barrel part a couplle of times.  Used pliers to press the two parts together.... no more issues... hope you can viisualize that:

If you've NOT done a complete, cold (power removed) restart of the controller, and allowed time for the system to completely stabilize with full GPS availability, you might want to do so.. 
This particular attached example took an extremely long time to completely stabilize, (unusual) though It did start 1PPS at about 65% ... may ot start 1PPS untial a995% or higher.... so be patient!

Also we have this generic info here:  http://sferics.us/GPSinfDat.html
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 08:23:26 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline vinesweather

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vines Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 09:30:53 PM »
Thanks mate. I did a cold reboot as you said and left it overnight. GPS kicked in but now no reception. I guess its because of where I live.
I've attached screenshots and a pi of the antenna I'm using.
Cheers

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 10:38:45 PM »
That "GPS" image would appear to be an actual GPS as opposed to a GPS antenna, one would connect via coax, one would connect via something like a 5 core cable. As the other images mention a baudrate (115200) then I m suspected your GPS is cable connected, not coax connected? Yes or No?

If cable connected then the first thing to eliminate/check is the power supply to the GPS, "unplugging it from the box", what box?, what cables? Is there a fuse somewhere?, Is there a power supply somewhere? Did any cables, like data cables get somehow crossed over?

If it was working before you "unplugged" it then it sounds like it has not been plugged back together correctly?     

Offline vinesweather

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vines Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 01:28:39 AM »
That "GPS" image would appear to be an actual GPS as opposed to a GPS antenna, one would connect via coax, one would connect via something like a 5 core cable. As the other images mention a baudrate (115200) then I m suspected your GPS is cable connected, not coax connected? Yes or No?

If cable connected then the first thing to eliminate/check is the power supply to the GPS, "unplugging it from the box", what box?, what cables? Is there a fuse somewhere?, Is there a power supply somewhere? Did any cables, like data cables get somehow crossed over?

If it was working before you "unplugged" it then it sounds like it has not been plugged back together correctly?   
The GPS is now working 100% Thanks for your help
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 01:34:42 AM by vinesweather »