Author Topic: Monsoon 2019 was really a Nonsoon!!  (Read 985 times)

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Current weather conditions in North Phoenix, Ariz
  • Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
    • Pepper Ridge North Valley  Weather and Lightning
Monsoon 2019 was really a Nonsoon!!
« on: October 19, 2019, 04:28:08 AM »
The final stats for Monsoon 2019 are in.

For Phoenix, this year's monsoon season, was the fifth driest since record-keeping began in 1896 at Sky Harbor, with only 0.66 inches!! which (2.05) inches below the normal for that time span of 2.71 inches.
Pepperridge North Valley received 2.48 inches which is (0.95) inches below the normal of 3.43 inches and the 9th driest on record!!  You can follow this link: https://tinyurl.com/y2epx96y #Monsoon #weather #fb for all the statewide details
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 02:27:30 AM by AZmonsooncats »
"Some dreams are in the night time, And some seem like yesterday
But leaves turn brown and fade, Ships sail away
You long to say a thousand words…but Seasons Change."

CWOP:CW3794, MesoWest: C3794, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PepperRidgeNorthValleyWX/

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: Monsoon 2019 was really a Nonsoon!!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 02:38:57 PM »
Apparently, Mother Nature withheld our monsoon rain so she had enough water vapor to make the current SNOW & cyclone bomb hitting the central and eastern states: "...robbing the west to dump on the east..."
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline zeppline

• Las Vegas Weather Guy
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 04:00:28 PM »
No monsoon here 163 days and counting no rain.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 07:20:13 PM »
No monsoon here 163 days and counting no rain.

You missed out  :-(.
The airport had .24" inch in September and another .04 in July. But WOW I thought it was dry over at Lake Powell where I spent years but looks like Vegas is even drier.  Normal value for Vegas since Jan 1, is only 3.20" so way ahead on the year +1.68".

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline zeppline

• Las Vegas Weather Guy
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 08:08:19 PM »
HI I am about 15 miles northwest of the airport and about 1000 feet higher. My biggest rain was in January & February and I have 7.26 in my backyard. I am close to the mountain on the west side.  Using  Rainwise equipment which I have calibrated and clean the dirt out.    Thanks Joe

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 02:22:28 AM »
HI I am about 15 miles northwest of the airport and about 1000 feet higher. My biggest rain was in January & February and I have 7.26 in my backyard. I am close to the mountain on the west side.  Using  Rainwise equipment which I have calibrated and clean the dirt out.    Thanks Joe

Wow you did quite well in the winter months at 7.26 inches you are still 0.20 inches ahead of me here in North Phoenix despite no Monsoon which is usually drier in Vegas anyways. Your ahead of North Vegas too which is at 5.09 inches for the year and 5.17 inches is the normal average for the year for the official station.

Most of Phoenix would have been drier if we had not got the transitional event in late September which combined with the remnants of Tropical Storms  Lorenna and Mario.  In fact Yuma in western Arizona only had a trace thru Sept 22nd, when this storm dumped 0.53 inches on Yuma on September 23rd which proved to be the only measurable rain in Yuma all Summer!!

Officially Phoenix is at 3.68 inches for the year normal to-date would be 6.30 inches and just over 8.20 inches is normal for the year my normal for the year is 9.63 inches so the dry Monsoon erased all the gains made last winter

Jeanette
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 03:09:49 AM by AZmonsooncats »

CWOP:CW3794, MesoWest: C3794, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PepperRidgeNorthValleyWX/

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 09:27:05 AM »
I just added up all the months for Page Az. 4.83" and no rain since July.  August and October are normally wettest months so still on track to have a normal year but nothing so far in October. 

Randy

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 02:18:37 PM »
I just added up all the months for Page Az. 4.83" and no rain since July.  August and October are normally wettest months so still on track to have a normal year but nothing so far in October. 

Yep the total for the Monsoon I had for Page was 0.63 inches that fell in July only Traces recorded after that no benefits from the September storms.  I guess we all paid a price for the unusual May weather which delayed the Monsoon onset till late July, so I guess Page was lucky to get that one good July storm.

Jeanette

anything