Weather Station Hardware > AcuRite Weather Stations

When does the rain totals reset on the 5 in 1?

(1/2) > >>

damageddolphin:
Aloha,

I've hacked together a station to report to wunderground with a 5 in 1, a Raspberry Pi, rtl_433, and some Python code. One thing I found is the sensor continues to report the rain totals for days and sometimes weeks after the rain event. I thought this was a daily total and should reset every 24 hours at midnight, but after yesterday's rain it is still reporting the same total accumulation:

{"time" : "2020-02-11 08:32:34", "model" : "Acurite 5n1 sensor", "message_type" : 49, "sensor_id" : 711, "channel" : "A", "sequence_num" : 0, "battery" : "OK", "wind_speed_kph" : 5.139, "wind_dir_deg" : 337.500, "rain_inch" : 0.520}
{"time" : "2020-02-11 08:32:34", "model" : "Acurite 5n1 sensor", "message_type" : 49, "sensor_id" : 711, "channel" : "A", "sequence_num" : 1, "battery" : "OK", "wind_speed_kph" : 5.139, "wind_dir_deg" : 337.500, "rain_inch" : 0.520}
{"time" : "2020-02-11 08:32:34", "model" : "Acurite 5n1 sensor", "message_type" : 49, "sensor_id" : 711, "channel" : "A", "sequence_num" : 2, "battery" : "OK", "wind_speed_kph" : 5.139, "wind_dir_deg" : 337.500, "rain_inch" : 0.520}

The only other thing I could think is maybe it's 24 hours from the last detected rain? That was about 15 hours ago.

galfert:
Acurite uses a rolling rain total that lasts a few days.

I'm sure someone else will jump in and explain this further.

nincehelser:
The rain counter on the 5n1 is transmitted every 36 seconds, rain or no rain.

To get the rainfall for a given period, you first need to record the value of the current counter.  When it changes, that means that rain has been recorded for that time period.

The 5n1 sensor itself keeps no record of rainfall other than this.  In other words, it doesn't reset at midnight or any other time period.  It's up to the receiving station to keep track of rainfall totals and reset them when appropriate.

daman:
On my 5n1 the rain resets every 24hr's(midnight)display model 01512 on the "today rainfall"

galfert:
Okay thank you. I now have more clarity. What the sensor itself does is just send rain event data for the period of 36 seconds. It's up to the console to keep totals. When using SDR you need to make your software count and reset at the interval that you want.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version