Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109417 times)

Offline mzac

Re: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi
« Reply #800 on: January 19, 2019, 04:55:59 PM »
Hi, I had a bit of time today while the kids were watching tv so I got some more data points entered into Homeassistant.  While I was doing that I came up with a few questions, notes:

- Does the wifi logger set the time of the console with SETTIME?
- Is there any way to clear monthly rain?  I tried with clear highs but it didn't work as my console went nuts with a dead battery in the transmitter and shows 2000+mm of rain!
- Under the wifi setup, there is a tcp port setting of 22222, what is the purpose of this port?  Telnetting to it doesn't give anything
- The json output seems to have the version sent twice, looks like a bug?
   {"stnmod":17,"ver":2.12,"ver":2.12,"loctime":1547916190,"utctime":1547934190
- You mentioned about sending more info in the json, here are some ideas:
  - station name
  - mac address
  - ip address
  - SSID connected
  - Wifi RSSI
  - Wifi Mode (b/g/n)
  - Last boot (utc time?)
  - Uptime (in seconds?)
  - wifi logger firmware
  - type/model of console (I have vantage vue)
  - lat/long of station

Thanks, again awesome what you've done :)

BTW you've done a really good job on this product!  I'm very happy! :D

There is nothing like a happy client. :)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #801 on: January 19, 2019, 05:09:13 PM »
Port 22222 is a pass-thru; at least it is on a Davis
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #802 on: January 19, 2019, 05:10:27 PM »
That port 22222 just replicates the port that other weather software would use to talk to the logger.  Same port weather link would use via the Davis IP product.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #803 on: January 19, 2019, 05:33:10 PM »
Hi, I had a bit of time today while the kids were watching tv so I got some more data points entered into Homeassistant.  While I was doing that I came up with a few questions, notes:

- Does the wifi logger set the time of the console with SETTIME?
- Is there any way to clear monthly rain?  I tried with clear highs but it didn't work as my console went nuts with a dead battery in the transmitter and shows 2000+mm of rain!
- Under the wifi setup, there is a tcp port setting of 22222, what is the purpose of this port?  Telnetting to it doesn't give anything
- The json output seems to have the version sent twice, looks like a bug?
   {"stnmod":17,"ver":2.12,"ver":2.12,"loctime":1547916190,"utctime":1547934190
- You mentioned about sending more info in the json, here are some ideas:
  - station name
  - mac address
  - ip address
  - SSID connected
  - Wifi RSSI
  - Wifi Mode (b/g/n)
  - Last boot (utc time?)
  - Uptime (in seconds?)
  - wifi logger firmware
  - type/model of console (I have vantage vue)
  - lat/long of station

- station name -absolutely
  - mac address -  absolutely + second MAC of access point mode
  - ip address - absolutely
  - SSID connected - can do
  - Wifi RSSI - why not
  - Wifi Mode (b/g/n) - why not
  - Last boot (utc time?) can do
  - Uptime (in seconds?) can do
  - wifi logger firmware obviously
  - type/model of console (I have vantage vue) model =16 means VP2, model=17 means Vue this is done
  - lat/long of station why not

+ some settings like units, rain calibration 2mm, or 0.1 inch + some other settings.

Offline gbothwell

« Reply #804 on: January 20, 2019, 03:02:32 PM »
To move forward with WiFiLogger firmware and new features we need to do one hard thing.
I have chosen bad partition table on the beginning. Firmware can be only 512kB. Now it's bigger, so partition table has to be changed.
Problem is, this operation will clear whole memory and your settings will be wiped out.

I need to find volunteers. Computer super users, who will check my procedure and help to improve manual for other great WFLs users.
You have only this: https://wifilogger.net/files/WFL_Update_200.zip

On the other hand if you don't mind that your WFL after migration to version 2.00 will be restored to factory settings. Then procedure is very simple. Just update your WFL to 2.00 and wait for max 5 min.

Please write suggestion here, or send me via email wifilogger@qq.com

Thank you
Wojtek

The process worked for me no problem.  I am now on 2.08.  The only setting that didn't come over (this is expected) was the date seperator and I manually updated in index.html. 

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #805 on: January 20, 2019, 04:36:20 PM »
Updated to v2.08 following the included instructions. Update went fine & transfer of config files went fine as well. All working great.
Davis Vantage Vue ISS & Console with WiFi Logger 2
2nd Davis Vantage Vue Console with WiFi Logger 2
Davis Vantage Pro2 Console with Meteobridge Nano SD
Davis Weather Envoy with USB Logger connected to RPi 3B+ running WEEWX
WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station

Offline tchirles

« Reply #806 on: January 22, 2019, 08:35:15 AM »
I’m very new to the Forum and new to weather stations.  I have a Davis VantageVue.  How does the WIFI Logger compare to the NANO SD?  on the surface they appear to be similar except for the price!
Thanks.

Offline rockncola

« Reply #807 on: January 22, 2019, 09:27:41 AM »
A question; when I upload my data from WifiLogger to the likes of Wunderground and PWSweather, I notice that rainfall is calculated in 0.1mm increments (both sites report 0.5mm to have fallen). Thing is, I did change the setting to enable 0.2mm increments in WifiLogger which works and reports the correct 0.4mm on the main Wifilogger page. My question is why am I getting the correct output on WifiLogger page but incorrect 0.1mm increments to PWS / Wunderground? Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:31:37 AM by rockncola »

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #808 on: January 22, 2019, 11:45:18 AM »
A question; when I upload my data from WifiLogger to the likes of Wunderground and PWSweather, I notice that rainfall is calculated in 0.1mm increments (both sites report 0.5mm to have fallen). Thing is, I did change the setting to enable 0.2mm increments in WifiLogger which works and reports the correct 0.4mm on the main Wifilogger page. My question is why am I getting the correct output on WifiLogger page but incorrect 0.1mm increments to PWS / Wunderground? Thank you in advance.
Don't use 0.1mm this exist probably only in Davis manual. I should erase this from WFL.
I can see this problem.
- Davis not measure rain, but counts clicks from rain gauge.
- If you have regular Davis then 1 click = 0.01 inch = 0.254mm
- If you have 2mm weight adapter, then 1 click = 0.2mm = 0.007874015748 inch
WU takes rain in inches.
I have made 3 clicks = 0.6mm = 0.023622047244inch. WFL and console shows 0.02inch. This value goes to WU 0.02inch * 25.4 = 0.508, but WU shows 0.51mm

I will examine this. Maybe WU will take better precision than 0.01 inch. This will solve problem. US customers should not have such problem. Measure in inches, send in inches.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #809 on: January 22, 2019, 12:13:50 PM »
I’m very new to the Forum and new to weather stations.  I have a Davis VantageVue.  How does the WIFI Logger compare to the NANO SD?  on the surface they appear to be similar except for the price!
Thanks.

There are three standalone devices:
1. WeatherLink IP
2. WiFiLogger
3. MB Nano and MB Nano SD

1. WeatherLink IP
- Sending data through ethernet.
- Sending data to WeatherLink.com ONLY
- Working with WeatherLInk PC/Cumulus etc.

2. WiFiLogger
- is enchanced WeatherLink IP
- Using WiFi only
- Sending data to WeatherLink.com
- Working with WeatherLInk PC/Cumulus etc.
- Allow to send data to services like WU, PWS, WOW etc.
- Allow to export data to custom server FTP/HTTP/MQTT

3. MB Nano and MB Nano SD
I have never used this, but it has plenty of functions.
SD version allows to store archive data on SD card + SD can contain HTML website.
For sure it allows to send data to custom servers.
Nano is based on minimized Linux router/board

What has WiFiLogger which Nano don't have?
WiFiLogger is compatible with WeatherLink.com.
WFL has similar power consumption like original WeatherLinkIP. Nano needs 3x power.

If you know what to do with all Nano's functions and you need them, then probably that would be good choice for you.
If you are looking for 500% enhanced WeatherLinkIP(which is very good device) with WiFi to send data to WU, PWS etc. Then WiFilogger is absolutely good choice.
WiFiLogger was designed to be simple to use and setup. I hope that was done properly, but for this topic, users needs to say about.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #810 on: January 22, 2019, 12:37:58 PM »
4.  Meteobridge with a clone logger (or Davis if you like to pay a lot). 

I know it is not truly standalone, but it does essentially do what WIFI Logger (great product!) and some of the Meteobrdige series do.  For example, in MB, you can  annotate a webcam with weather data.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline tchirles

« Reply #811 on: January 22, 2019, 03:13:03 PM »
Thanks for the info. Looks like WFL is the way to go.

Offline Muzz

« Reply #812 on: January 22, 2019, 03:17:04 PM »
I've just gone to download WiFiLogger124.zip using the link in the first post but received a 404 - Not found error.

Offline rockncola

« Reply #813 on: January 22, 2019, 03:24:57 PM »
Don't use 0.1mm this exist probably only in Davis manual. I should erase this from WFL.
I can see this problem.
- Davis not measure rain, but counts clicks from rain gauge.
- If you have regular Davis then 1 click = 0.01 inch = 0.254mm
- If you have 2mm weight adapter, then 1 click = 0.2mm = 0.007874015748 inch
WU takes rain in inches.
I have made 3 clicks = 0.6mm = 0.023622047244inch. WFL and console shows 0.02inch. This value goes to WU 0.02inch * 25.4 = 0.508, but WU shows 0.51mm

I will examine this. Maybe WU will take better precision than 0.01 inch. This will solve problem. US customers should not have such problem. Measure in inches, send in inches.

That's interesting. I have a 0.2mm metric adapter in my VP2 and have console also set to 0.2mm. What about PWSweather?  It is showing the same 0.5mm as well. Do I wait for a fix from your end?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 03:27:41 PM by rockncola »

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #814 on: January 22, 2019, 03:34:13 PM »
Muzz, if you go to this link, it has both 1.24S, and 2.00 with directions.

https://wifilogger.net/files/WFL_Update_200.zip

If you are at a version 1.X on your logger, you'll follow the manual to update to 1.24S.  Then you'll back up 2 config files.

After you have those two files, then you'd upgrade to 2.0.  Let it update itself to 2.08.  Then upload the configs.  But it's all in the manual in that ZIP file.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #815 on: January 22, 2019, 04:04:38 PM »
I've just gone to download WiFiLogger124.zip using the link in the first post but received a 404 - Not found error.

Sorry I forgot to change link. I am trying to force all users to update to version 2.00.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #816 on: January 22, 2019, 04:10:55 PM »
That's interesting. I have a 0.2mm metric adapter in my VP2 and have console also set to 0.2mm. What about PWSweather?  It is showing the same 0.5mm as well. Do I wait for a fix from your end?

Console has to settings
- units inch, or mm,
- rain collector size 0.01 inch, or 0.2mm

You have 0.2mm like me.
When you change units to inches then 0.6mm become 0.02 inch, you loose some digits. 0.0236220472440945
0.02 is on console display.
WU and PWS accept rain data in inches. So 0.02 * 25.4 = 0.508 => 0.51 => 0.5

I have to check if WU and PWS will accept this form: 0.0236220472440945, not this 0.02

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #817 on: January 22, 2019, 07:50:44 PM »
Hi, Wojtek.

The firmware update got rid of the firmware version of the console, which I liked because I would periodically check to make sure Davis hadn't released a new update to my Vue console (ver. 4.30 currently). Would it be easy to bring that small feature back? Also, is there a way to pull the battery level/voltage from the ISS, considering the console gives a low battery warning when the ISS is low? Thanks, in advance. The constant improvements are intriguing.
Davis Vantage Vue (Brentwood, CA KCABRENT8 and Arnold, CA KCAARNOL99)
Davis Vantage Pro2 (Lakehead, CA KCALAKEH52)
LaCrosse 2813 (retired 1/17/2018)

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #818 on: January 23, 2019, 06:18:30 AM »
Hi, Wojtek.
The firmware update got rid of the firmware version of the console, which I liked because I would periodically check to make sure Davis hadn't released a new update to my Vue console (ver. 4.30 currently). Would it be easy to bring that small feature back? Also, is there a way to pull the battery level/voltage from the ISS, considering the console gives a low battery warning when the ISS is low? Thanks, in advance. The constant improvements are intriguing.

Hi John
Version is hided. Please let me know if that is ok for you. I had to put some more info. I wanted this page still in same size, so I hided version.
ISS and other satelites gives only info 0,1 (YES/NO) about batttery. Only console has battery measure function.

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #819 on: January 23, 2019, 01:23:55 PM »
Hi, Wojtek.

Hi John
Version is hided. Please let me know if that is ok for you. I had to put some more info. I wanted this page still in same size, so I hided version.
ISS and other satelites gives only info 0,1 (YES/NO) about batttery. Only console has battery measure function.

If it can be retrieved with a click, that would be just fine. If you are trying to save space on the real-time page, I totally understand. I would probably want to keep the clutter down, as well. I am running 2.08. Do I have to do something for this to show or this this not a feature you have made available yet?

Offline Herbaldew

« Reply #820 on: January 23, 2019, 04:40:37 PM »
If it can be retrieved with a click, that would be just fine.

I just accidently found the answer to this ... just click on "WiFiLogger" on the "Real Time Data" page and the console firmware version and other data will appear.
VP2+ Wireless - 24 hr FARS

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
    • Anthem North Parkside, AZ
« Reply #821 on: January 23, 2019, 07:03:20 PM »
My upgrade didn't go so well. I followed all the steps but am left with some undefined values. I've restarted several times including using the white reset button. It seems to be working other wise.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 07:05:21 PM by ANPweather »

Davis Vantage Vue, Davis Pro 2 Console with Wifi Logger
Weather Display software
WU: KAZNEWRI17
PWS: ANTHEMNP
CWOP: EW7526

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #822 on: January 24, 2019, 02:10:00 AM »
Look at WiFiLogger’s Reply #784. Download the index zip file from the link at the bottom of the post. Then follow the instructions for installing it as described in the post. You don’t need to follow the instructions about changing the index file to hide the forecast info unless you don’t want it. Just install the index html and that should fix your issues.
Davis Vantage Vue ISS & Console with WiFi Logger 2
2nd Davis Vantage Vue Console with WiFi Logger 2
Davis Vantage Pro2 Console with Meteobridge Nano SD
Davis Weather Envoy with USB Logger connected to RPi 3B+ running WEEWX
WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #823 on: January 24, 2019, 03:54:13 AM »
My upgrade didn't go so well. I followed all the steps but am left with some undefined values. I've restarted several times including using the white reset button. It seems to be working other wise.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Is your logger has version 2.08 after all?
Thise what you have on screen is HTML files from version 2.08 and firmware version 2.00.
In first step logger is downloading HTML files
second update firmware.

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #824 on: January 24, 2019, 10:59:02 AM »
I am now seeing the console version number. Thank you for the tip. All is good.

anything