Author Topic: Thinking about getting the WS-2902B  (Read 772 times)

Offline gquiring

Thinking about getting the WS-2902B
« on: June 28, 2020, 08:51:32 PM »
I am thinking about getting the WS-2902B for our radio controlled airplane club.  My concern is I will be installing this in a home near the flying field.  The owner is very friendly with the club and gave us the green light that we can use his Wifi connection and power.  He's not computer savvy at all.  I confirmed he has a router with Wifi and also open ports for a hardwire connection which I know this model cannot do. 

How complicated is the setup for the Internet?  Do I need to configure/open ports on his firewall for this to work?  Would it be better to configure it in my home and get it working and then move it to his network?  Is this entirely independent of needing a PC or mobile device once it's working  (the owner of the home uses a flip phone!).

Our primary interest is wind speed/direction and outdoor temperature.   

Offline Platokidd

• top side land of Lincoln
  • Forecaster
Re: Thinking about getting the WS-2902B
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 09:13:16 PM »
Just my take, I would set the ws-2902b up at home and then connect to his internet.
Ambient
1-WS-5000 1-WS-2902A 2-WS40/RAIN 1-WH31L 
1-METEOBRIDGE 1-PM2.5 (WH41B) 3-WH31 1-SRX100LX

ECOWITT
2-HP2550 2-HP2560 2-GW2000 2-GW1100
2-WS68 1-WS80 1-WH32EP 10-WH31 1-WH40
1-HP10 2-WH45 4-WH55 5-WH51
1-WN30 1-WH41

1-DAVIS 7714
1-STRATUS
1-Fisher Barometer 1436R-22
PWS at 2 locations.
1- Storm Sensor-Zelda the dog ;)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 09:19:02 PM »
Our primary interest is wind speed/direction
Maybe not as fun..but certainly instantaneous, accurate, and can be located on the airport itself where it needs to optimally be.

http://www.weather.gov.dm/images/weather_instruments/wind_sock.jpg

Offline gquiring

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 09:39:50 PM »
Our primary interest is wind speed/direction
Maybe not as fun..but certainly instantaneous, accurate, and can be located on the airport itself where it needs to optimally be.

http://www.weather.gov.dm/images/weather_instruments/wind_sock.jpg
We have a wind sock.  The whole idea of the weather station is to see if the weather is worth packing the car and taking an hours drive to find out the winds are blowing like crazy. 

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 09:42:44 PM »
How complicated is the setup for the Internet?
It is pretty straight forward. You need a mobile device (Android or iOS) temporary just for initial connection setup. You use Ambients awnet app to set it up.

Do I need to configure/open ports on his firewall for this to work?
No

Would it be better to configure it in my home and get it working and then move it to his network?
No. Unless you go through the trouble of configuring your home WiFi to be exactly his wireless SSID name and password Key. I mean exactly! Case sensitive and spaces and all. Then you can power down and move the console and just plug it in at his place and it should see the same SSID network and with the same wireless password key and just connect to the Internet. But there is more to the configuration than just Internet. You'll likely want to also configure Weather Underground, Ambientweather.net and maybe even WeatherCloud as a backup so that it sends data to all of them. Remember that every few months you may want to do a firmware update, so you'll need your mobile device to be there at the home location to update it. Remember to do physical maintenance of the station especially the rain gauge cleaning...etc.

Is this entirely independent of needing a PC or mobile device once it's working  (the owner of the home uses a flip phone!).
Nope doesn't need anything running at the location but for the WiFi router to be running and have service. And the console needs AC power (batteries only backup data and are not used to run WiFi connection). If brownouts or power outages are a concern then consider a battery backup (UPS) for the console and router.

Our primary interest is wind speed/direction and outdoor temperature.
Then make sure you get a good siting.
Good guide to follow even if you don't plan on uploading to CWOP:
https://www.weather.gov/media/epz/mesonet/CWOP-Siting.pdf
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 09:45:27 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 09:50:28 PM »
Almost forgot....If you do set it up at your home that will just save you the WiFi and Internet online services setup, but you'll still need to calibrate the barometer at his home. You can't do that at your home that is miles away.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 09:53:13 PM »
Well I take that back. You could calibrate the barometer at your home. But it will be more trouble and require some added math to make elevation adjustments. But it might not be perfect. It will still need fine tuning at the final location most likely.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 09:54:51 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 10:14:38 PM »
Well I take that back. You could calibrate the barometer at your home. But it will be more trouble and require some added math to make elevation adjustments. But it might not be perfect. It will still need fine tuning at the final location most likely.
Not that it wouldn't be nice, but r/c's don't require the pressure.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 10:20:33 PM »

Yeah but if the data is going to end up online on a public service this is going to be something that many people could potentially see and use. It would not be a nice thing to not have it right. The person hosting the station might start to get knocks on his door (or notes) that say, "hey do you know that your barometer is not calibrated." And that would irritate the person at that home and ask for the station to be removed if it isn't fixed.
Tele-Pole

Offline gquiring

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 07:35:23 AM »

Yeah but if the data is going to end up online on a public service this is going to be something that many people could potentially see and use. It would not be a nice thing to not have it right. The person hosting the station might start to get knocks on his door (or notes) that say, "hey do you know that your barometer is not calibrated." And that would irritate the person at that home and ask for the station to be removed if it isn't fixed.
How would they possibly get his home address? 

Offline gquiring

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 08:21:31 AM »
This is really informing.  I had no idea they showed detailed locations of the weather stations.  It turns out a farmer right next to our flying field has a weather station!  So we don't need to buy anything.

Thank you all for your help.

anything