Author Topic: Rant  (Read 433 times)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Rant
« on: June 16, 2009, 12:59:28 PM »
Most of you can see from my avatar that I am a Browns fan.
Recently you may have heard of Donte Stallworth, a member of the Browns, was arrested for killing a pedestrian with car in Miami while driving drunk.
Well I guess it pays to an athlete because all he did was plead guilty and got  30 days in jail and probation.
Man this makes me want to scream. Vick gets a year for dog fighting and this guy gets 30 days for killing someone.
Someone explain that rational.
Justice my butt! Money bought him his freedom. I hope he chokes on his millions.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4262751

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
Re: Rant
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 01:21:49 PM »
At least vehicular manslaughter! It is very sad the state of our union......

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 01:52:49 PM »
It has since been brought to my attention by a lawyer over at the Browns forum that since the pedestrian was jaywalking at the time, at night, his death was partly his own fault even though Stallworth was drunk at the time. In order for him to be convicted of DUI Manslaughter he had to be completely 100% at fault in the man's death. If it had went to trial the state would have had to prove that the pedestrians death was completely Stallworth's fault. Apparently they didn't feel confident of a conviction. Hence the plea deal.

Even though it was explained to me I still disagree. It's like no one even died here. Just a slap on the wrist and away you go.

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 03:54:29 PM »
I agree it is kind of BS, and I the reason I don't trust our justice system. Completely innocent people get convicted or have to plea bargain on cases who have no money for an attorney and the court says they make to much which might not be true. Then you have guilty people walking without any harm because they have millions.

Not to play devils advocate now, but I know here in Texas the law reads pedestrians have right a way at all times regardless if they are jaywalking or not.  For this very reason, and I know two wrongs don't make a right but and I have never agreed with this that the operator of the vehicle is held responsible for someone else's action of walking out into a busy street.  Just like I don't agree with anyone can file charges on anyone for anything based on hear say, then you and back to square one with what I said above where innocent people get into legal mess because of others vindictive intentions. Yes I speak from experience.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 10:49:05 PM »
   I guess it should not be suprising when you learn that there is nothing called the "truth".  It is all relative (according to the mavens of the day)!  So, if there is no truth, there can be no responsibility.  :shock: Sad Sad Sad!!!  Thank goodness for the weather.

Mark

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 06:02:36 AM »
After the NFL plays their heavy-hand and suspends him for maybe 2 or 4 games, you can hope he may have done steroids because then the cr@p will REALLY hit the fan... don't want little kids emulating THAT, now do we?

{shaking head with disgust and disbelief...}

Throw these clowns out of sports. Period. I'm a Giants fan - even with Plax I was saying it - throw them out.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 08:24:19 AM »
It boils down to a warped set of rules - not normal with true reality. They live in a fantasy world and expect that the world's rule does not apply to them. Reminds me of that Brad Pasiley song "Celebrity". Funny song but lots of truth to it....

Jim

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »
The NFL passed down an indefinite suspension. Whoopdeedoo. Pacman Jones had one of those. It lasted 6 weeks, IIRC.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 04:45:50 PM »

The problem is that the rules aren't being applied to celebrities and politicians. Much of it is our fault for allowing this. For starters, the populace needs to elect judges who will make judgments---based on the evidence and the laws---uniformly and without bias. We don't hear the saying justice is blind ("equal justice under law") any more. We all hear about celebrities (actors and athletes) and politicians who commit crimes and get off with a mere slap on the wrist or less.

When someone is running for a judge's seat in our district, how many of us (myself included) actually read about the person's past judgments or positions before we vote? Probably very few of us do.

The current nominee for Justice of the Supreme Court is a relevant current example. The issue is about things she has said and what she believes. Whether you do or do not want her appointed to the Supreme Court, write your U.S. senators and tell them. They represent you whether you voted for them or not.

" Equal Justice Under Law "
  The U.S. Supreme Court Building

(BTW, I only recently started writing to my representatives.)
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 06:34:58 PM »
May I inquire how much money you have to put in the envelope to get the Politician and not the aid to read your letter?  ;)

The problem is that the rules aren't being applied to celebrities and politicians. Much of it is our fault for allowing this. For starters, the populace needs to elect judges who will make judgments---based on the evidence and the laws---uniformly and without bias. We don't hear the saying justice is blind ("equal justice under law") any more. We all hear about celebrities (actors and athletes) and politicians who commit crimes and get off with a mere slap on the wrist or less.

When someone is running for a judge's seat in our district, how many of us (myself included) actually read about the person's past judgments or positions before we vote? Probably very few of us do.

The current nominee for Justice of the Supreme Court is a relevant current example. The issue is about things she has said and what she believes. Whether you do or do not want her appointed to the Supreme Court, write your U.S. senators and tell them. They represent you whether you voted for them or not.

" Equal Justice Under Law "
  The U.S. Supreme Court Building

(BTW, I only recently started writing to my representatives.)
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 07:31:51 PM »

May I inquire how much money you have to put in the envelope to get the Politician and not the aid to read your letter?  ;)

I know. They don't read them personally... unless, of course, I'm a celebrity.
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 01:34:05 AM »

I know. They don't read them personally... unless, of course, I'm a celebrity.

That's the sad part about the whole mess.... You never get taken seriously unless you are a celebrity or have gobs of money to contribute toward a political campaign or the like..   The working people which are the backbone of the country are used for just that...backbone and income!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 03:22:31 AM »
We have the best government that money can buy!   :shock:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 10:26:58 PM »
We have the best government that money can buy!   :shock:

Ain't that the truth ;)

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

anything