Author Topic: VP2+ with WeatherLink Live and Meteobridge Pro  (Read 3625 times)

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
Re: VP2+ with WeatherLink Live and Meteobridge Pro
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2020, 04:55:49 AM »
Here's how I ended up using WeatherLink Live and Meteobridge Pro.

With WeatherLink I ended up subscribing to the Pro Plan. This gives me charts that I can slice and dice better than anywhere else I've found. And with the Pro plan I have data backup and data exporting. I'm fine with that for $47.40/yr.

I did attach my Meteobridge Pro to the WLL for a few days but I was very used to having 5 second updates to Weather Underground and if I used the WeatherLink Live connection I was slowed down to 5 minute updates. I was also previously doing 1 minute updates to AWEKAS and Windy. So I ended up changing my Meteobridge Pro back to downloading RF directly from my VP2+ thus allowing me to do my 5 second updates to WU and 1 minute updates to AWEKAS and Windy.

I did call Davis and they said that they were aware of complaints that the apps weren't taking advantage of the speed delivered by the VP2+ ISS. Davis support said that they were currently working on making both the Android and browser apps deliver at the full speed of the VP2+. I'm looking forward to that.

I'm quite pleased with how everything is working now. I love the WeatherLink Live Android app on my Pixel 3 XL and the browser app on my PC. I'll like them better when Davis updates both the PC and Android apps to take full advantage of the speed of my VP2+ RF feed as my Meteobridge Pro already does.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 05:45:44 AM by TraderGary »
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2020, 07:35:08 AM »
You should be able to continue to upload to all the Meteobridge supported services while connected to the WLL. The WLL will supply live 5 second data to the Meteobridge and allow you to continue to send 5 second updates to WU.

Therefore the WLL should be set to upload to Weatherlink.com and to nowhere else.

Then the Meteobridge gets live data from the WLL and uploads everywhere it supports with the most frequent upload that you desire to each service.

The Meteobridge can also have internal backup. The Meteobridge can also do external local backup to a mySQL database. You can also have other types of local backup with other software like Cumulus MX, Weather-Display or WeeWX which can all get data simultaneously from WLL. Just saying that there are many options for backup.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2020, 08:11:26 AM »
Yep plenty of ways to use these devices. I have my Meteobridge NanoSD feeding from data from the Davis Console, my MB database backs up on a daily basis. Services wise It reports a forecast every 3 hours and hourly data updates on twitter.  it also grabs local AQI Airlink data too and a couple of charts etc.

My WLL on the other hand reports to Weatherlink.com and then Cumulus gets its data from the WLL, processes data for the website (realtime, gauges, NOAA etc) and sends data to relevant weather sites like PWS, CWOP, WU, weathercloud, etc, etc.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2020, 08:21:49 AM »
You should be able to continue to upload to all the Meteobridge supported services while connected to the WLL. The WLL will supply live 5 second data to the Meteobridge and allow you to continue to send 5 second updates to WU.

Therefore the WLL should be set to upload to Weatherlink.com and to nowhere else.

Then the Meteobridge gets live data from the WLL and uploads everywhere it supports with the most frequent upload that you desire to each service.

The Meteobridge can also have internal backup. The Meteobridge can also do external local backup to a mySQL database. You can also have other types of local backup with other software like Cumulus MX, Weather-Display or WeeWX which can all get data simultaneously from WLL. Just saying that there are many options for backup.

My experience was that when Meteobridge Pro was connected to the WLL my WU was getting very slow 5 minute updates. I was using the built-in MBP option to connect. I waited and it never got faster.

Yes, the WLL is set to only upload to weatherlink.com and nowhere else. On my WLL Android app I get 2.5 second wind updates and 10 second rain updates. I really like that.

Yes, my MBP is automagically storing my data on its local ssd by default. I have yet to experiment downloading or doing anything with it.

My Comcast fiber Internet connection is a consistent, solid 240 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up. I have my Comcast cable modem, NetGear Orbi mesh router, WLL, and MB Pro all on their own separate APC UPS.

George, I don't know what I might have been doing wrong, but with MBP connected to WLL using the MBP option, I had turtle speed uploading to WU. That's why I separated them and now they are running totally independent of each other. I wish we were neighbors so you could look at what I might be doing wrong.

When running separately I also like seeing the RF light blink on the MBP every 2.5 seconds!   :lol:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 08:23:37 AM by TraderGary »
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2020, 03:10:39 PM »
Well on the Internet we are all neighbors. Check your PM.
Tele-Pole

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2020, 03:24:56 AM »
Based on the feedback from everyone, I figured that, as usual, I must be doing something wrong.

So I started over with making my WLL the Station Connection for the Meteobridge Pro. And you're right, I'm now getting 5 second updates on WU. I have no idea what I was doing wrong previously, but whatever it was, starting over again corrected it.

And it is refreshing to have Barometric Pressure, indoor Temperature and indoor Humidity all "accurately" coming from the same place. I put accurately in quotes because I assume that Davis is true to their word and part of the higher price of Davis equipment is that they check and calibrate everything before it is sent out.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2020, 04:14:40 AM »
...because I assume that Davis is true to their word and part of the higher price of Davis equipment is that they check and calibrate everything before it is sent out.

All console/WLL pressure sensors benefit from being checked/calibrated against a good online reference source during initial set-up (assuming you want to follow the international norm of reporting estimated sea-level pressure). The console has no way of knowing in advance what height it will be located at or how accurately you might know that height or whether eg you might have the console situated on an upper floor of a large house (which could potentially make eg 1mb or 0.03" difference to the recorded pressure).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2020, 05:57:12 AM »
...because I assume that Davis is true to their word and part of the higher price of Davis equipment is that they check and calibrate everything before it is sent out.

All console/WLL pressure sensors benefit from being checked/calibrated against a good online reference source during initial set-up (assuming you want to follow the international norm of reporting estimated sea-level pressure). The console has no way of knowing in advance what height it will be located at or how accurately you might know that height or whether eg you might have the console situated on an upper floor of a large house (which could potentially make eg 1mb or 0.03" difference to the recorded pressure).

I've looked under the wrench icon for device configuration and I can find settings for just about everything but height above sea level. I recall setting that when I first installed my WLL, but how do I check to see what it is and change it if necessary?

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2020, 06:30:07 AM »
Just Edit Settings for the WLL device itself (ie the box at the top of the screen) - not for any of the individual transmitters.

But I'd still recommend calibrating vs an accurate online source and entering the value in the 'Last Barometer Reading' box. Having an accurate height will help the accuracy of the pressure tracking thereafter, but still better to set/check the actual pressure once in a while.)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 06:52:04 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2020, 07:14:23 AM »
Thank You John!
I've looked at that page a dozen times and for some reason that box just registered as only a topic header and not something I could click on.
I really do appreciate your patience.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2020, 07:34:32 AM »
Step 1
This is my favorite online tool to determine elevation. Take the number you get and add to it the height of your WLL above ground to determine your total elevation above sea level. Enter this total for your elevation then click Save button in Weatherlink before doing Step 2.

https://www.freemaptools.com/elevation-finder.htm

Step 2
Calibrate against local METAR for final fine tuning adjustment. Adjust the barometric pressure as needed.

* Do not do both of these steps at the same time. You must click Save after Step 1. You may even need to back out and get back to this settings screen before Step 2 fine tuning barometric pressure.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 07:42:49 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2020, 04:51:10 PM »
Thanks George, excellent tool, bookmarked and put in my Weather Station folder.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2020, 05:03:07 PM »
I've found that merely entering my elevation correctly on my VP2 and two Vue consoles will suffice. In other words, don't sweat the load if you don't have a neighboring ASOS to compare to.

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2020, 02:30:45 AM »
I'm confident that I'm very close with my elevation now.

However my VP2 Console is reading +0.03 high and I've entered the same exact elevation in both my WLL and my VP2 Console.

I'm primarily looking at my PC, my Android phone and weather sites and they all feed from the WLL barometer.

So I solved the disparity problem by taking the batteries out of the VP2 Console and relegating it to a storage drawer.  :lol:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2020, 02:54:29 AM »
However my VP2 Console is reading +0.03 high and I've entered the same exact elevation in both my WLL and my VP2 Console.

So I solved the disparity problem by taking the batteries out of the VP2 Console and relegating it to a storage drawer.  :lol:
I don't have WLL, so I'm shooting in the dark. Being that you're new at this, you'll probably not know (I'm relying on those that do to satisfy us both), but I'm wondering if your WLL is set to display the altimeter setting vs SLP since the VP2 console can't, it's only capable of SLP.
Regardless, put that console somewhere you can use it. A complete waste otherwise.

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2020, 04:05:02 AM »
That's an interesting point because it's quite possible to order a VP2 or VP2+ without a console and with a WLL utilizing only PC and Android apps.

When I ordered my VP2+ I didn't know you could order one without a Console, otherwise I would have. That primitive LCD screen and array of push buttons with button combinations for different screens is certainly technically very dated.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2020, 04:12:56 AM »
?..... is certainly technically very dated.

I love the console.

Wanna sell it?

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2020, 04:51:07 AM »
One thing you have to understand about the (wireless) VP2 console is that it's designed to be portable, ie no need for mains power. Three C cells will power the unit for 6-9 months, assuming that you're not using a power-hungry logger type (eg IP/WFL/Nano), though USB is fine as of course is no logger at all. But battery power immediately limits the display and processing technology quite severely.

I suspect that if the console were being redesigned today then Davis might look at using an E-Ink display instead, assuming that the cost differential wasn't too great. Or maybe they might accept mains-power as mandatory, which would be a major change in design philosophy but which would also open up the display/processing options considerably.

The debate nowadays is whether you need the console at all, given that large phones and tablet displays are readily available to most users, especially when used with WLL. As long as you're happy with eg the Bulletin display on the wl.com browser app then this is a pretty good solution. But really we're still waiting for a wider choice of eg good tablet/browser apps to be launched by third-party software houses.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2020, 05:57:06 AM »
I'm very pleased with the WLL. I was not  interested in it when I first ordered my VP2+ when I saw there were ongoing subscription charges. So I decided to buy a Meteobridge Pro to talk to the ISS and to WU. Understand that I was coming from an old Ambient Weather station and I thought that WU was the only way to see data and WU was actually part of a weather station. I didn't know what I was doing and I had ordered the Ambient station without a console. Anyway, my only objective at first with my VP2+ was to get data to WU so I could see it like I was used to doing.  ](*,) I've certainly learned a lot in the last couple of months here.

After I saw how the WLL could be used with the Meteobridge Pro, I ordered it. I'm very glad I did. The total cost of a MB Pro and WLL is undoubtedly a little more than most would want to spend after already buying a VP2+, but I'm attacking this probably backwards as a complete novice. But heck, I'm retired and I'm having fun. I love the WLL Android app. It's very well done. The PC browser app could use a bit of work though. I called Davis a while back and they said that they were working on updates to both apps and they wanted to make all sensor data "Live", not just the Wind and Rain sensors as it is now. Do you know anything about that, John?

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2020, 06:59:44 AM »
TBH I think there's some confusion about terminology here:

'LIVE' is a bit of a vague term, though I know Davis use it. But exactly what timeframe is it meant to refer to? VP2 stations update their sensors at different intervals, ie:

Wind: every 2.5 secs (approximately)
Temp: every 10 secs
Other sensors: out to every 60 secs or so

These timings are baked into how the ISS firmware works and are unlikely to change I would have thought. And there's no point in a display updating more often than new readings might be available.  The other aspect is that weather parameters really don't change that much from one minute to the next, with the single exception of wind gust data. (Rainfall is debatable, but Davis have obviously decided to include in the fast-updating WLL UDP broadcasts, despite the reading only updating every 20 secs, but which still provides for rainfall rates of up to 1.8"/hr as individual tips).

So with WLL as the data source the Weatherlink browser 'app' and the phone app away from home update every minute, which I would argue is fine for everything apart from wind (and maybe rain during a downpour).

The smartphone app at home should give genuinely live wind (and FWIW rain) with updates every 2.5 secs. But the browser 'app' (and AFAIAA) does not yet give live wind in this same sense. This is the bit that I suspect that Davis are referring to, ie bringing live wind (and rain) to the browser 'app' (when used in the local network).

(To repeat, wind and rain are the only 'live' readings that are pushed from WLL, all other readings are pushed to wl.com once a minute or can be pulled locally from the WLL on demand within reason, but the 1-minute rule still applies here AFAIK and I wouldn't expect that to change.)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 07:57:24 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2020, 08:14:47 AM »
John, my apologies, I should have been more specific when I said "Live".

What I had called Davis for was that I had placed my phone on my charger stand next to my computer to watch the rain accumulate during a rain storm while I worked. What I noticed was that the phone app updates "Live" the wind and rain just as you said. But on the phone app all else never gets updated. Pressure, Temperature, Humidity, Solar and UV will never update unless you force the update by back-arrow and then back to the app again. Davis said they were aware of complaints and they were working to fix it.

At the same time the Davis rep said that they were working to have the PC Browser app do "Live" Wind and Rain updates which it doesn't do now.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2020, 08:45:28 AM »
Yes, I think we're on the same page. There does seem to have been some recent bug with the phone app that has interfered with automatic updates. And the browser app doesn't currently do LIVE but otherwise works fine. (I hesitate to call it the PC app because there's no reason not to use it in a browser on tablet or phone. It's the browser rather than the device that's the distinguishing feature.)
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2020, 09:19:19 AM »
There is a simple procedure to fine tune calibrate the barometer on both the VP2 display console and on the WLL. It is simply easier on the WLL as you just change the number you see, after first setting your elevation. To do the same on the VP2 display console you simply follow the instructions on page 27 of the user manual. I've copy/pasted these instructions below.

[VP2] Calibrating Barometric Pressure
Before calibrating the barometric pressure, be sure the station is set to the correct elevation. See “Screen 10: Elevation” on page 16 for more information.
1. Press BAR to select barometric pressure.
2. Press and release 2ND, then press and hold SET. The pressure variable blinks.
3. Continue holding the key until the ticker reads “set barometer . . . ”.
4. Press the < and > keys to select digits in the variable.
5. Press + and - keys to add to or subtract from the digit’s value.
6. Press DONE to exit calibration.

You get better precision if you calibrate while using hPa. Then after calibration is completed you can flip back to show inHg if you prefer and the two devices should pretty much stay lock step with each other.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 04:30:15 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2020, 12:29:00 PM »
?..... is certainly technically very dated.

I love the console.

Wanna sell it?

I'd rather keep it and if I ever want to use it, it's there in the drawer.

BTW, I clicked on your IONOTTAW14 and it was off-line at 12:27 PM ET Sep 28, 2020

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2020, 06:51:27 PM »
Ahhhhhh. The wonders of Wunderground. Now you see me, now you don't.

Musnt have been long, it doesn't show on the graph.