Author Topic: Which Weather Station in EU - Forggit & Bresser  (Read 2078 times)

Offline vasja

Which Weather Station in EU - Forggit & Bresser
« on: January 31, 2021, 05:16:54 AM »
Hi,

I'm looking for a weather station in EU. It should have indoor & outdoor temperature, humidity, air pressure, wind, solar, rain. And it should be connected to WiFi so I can upload data to Wu or some other site where I can see archive and charts online.

I'm looking at Froggit and Bresser.

Q1: Does anyone know differences between different Froggit models:

and

I like the history bar display on a couple of the units - the "Graphical weather trend display" (Froggit WH6000 Professional and BRESSER Professional WIFI Weather Centre 6in1 - they actually look the same to me... )

Any other recommendation for EU?

« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 07:46:37 PM by vasja »

Offline vasja

Re: Which Weather Station in EU - Forggit & Bresser
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 09:38:22 AM »
Hi, any advice? anyone?

I got this reply from Froggit on the difference between WH6000 and WH6000 pro.

"The WH6000 PRO is our newest weather station in our portfolio.
Compared to the WH6000, the WH6000 PRO has a much higher quality display and has a 7-in-1 outdoor sensor with integrated fan to reduce solar heat for the purpose of temperature measurement.
Furthermore, the weather service WeatherCloud can be connected to the WH6000 PRO in addition to Wunderground."

Anyone any other insight on what the difference with HP100SE would be. Which one is better option?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 10:19:53 AM »
A few things to understand about Froggit.

- Froggit does not manufacture any weather station. They buy and rebadge different models from different manufactures that have nothing in common, no compatibility between sensors of these different manufactures.

- Predominately Froggit sells stations from Fine Offset and some other Chinese company (I forget their name). But this other company is the same thing as Bresser. Bresser is also not the manufacture.

Out of the two manufactures my recommendation is the Fine Offset clones. There are a few significant reasons to choose the Fine Offset clone over that other Chinese brand.

Benefits of Fine Offset vs other Chinese brands:
- Fine Offset has shown willingness to listen to their customers and they have developed their station to allow integration with important 3rd party software developers; Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, Weather-Display, and WeeWX.
- Fine Offset is the manufacture and they have a subsidiary company called Ecowitt where you can purchase any model or part for their weather stations.
- If you purchase a Froggit station (Fine Offset clone) and they do not sell a particular sensor that is no problem because you can just order it from Ecowitt to complete your system the way you want.
- Fine Offset clones enjoy a much greater weather station hobbyist community because of all these benefits. You benefit by having a larger community to ask questions and benefit from all that has been developed for these stations.
- All the other things that you would expect from a good company are there with regards to Fine Offset/Ecowitt; great customer service, excellent product lineup, continued interest and working with customers for new products, fast turn around for software bugs, and great quality for the price.

Therefore around these parts (this and other weather forums) by far the Fine Offset wins. It is usually the people that do not do their research before purchase that then come into this forum asking for help to do something and then they learn that what they want to accomplish is not possible with what they purchased.

To better distinguish which Froggit stations and sensors are Fine Offset clones and which aren't I recommend that you visit Ecowitt.com and take a look at the excellent matrix chart in the following link:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40730.0

Therefore another option to consider is ordering directly from Ecowitt. Or you can also order from other Fine Offset clone sellers like Nevada Radio Watson, Misol. But just be aware that there are different frequencies that vary by seller. If you are going to want to mix and match parts they all have to be the same frequency. In the EU these frequencies are 433 and 868 MHz. Froggit is all 868 MHz and Misol is 433 MHz. I believe Nevada Radio will sell you either if you specify. There are many other Fine Offset sellers. Perhaps some other EU users can share. But I've mentioned the biggest ones. I don't know though if Nevada Radio only sells to UK though. The whole Brexit thing adds to the confusion.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 10:31:16 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline vasja

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 11:40:36 AM »
@galfert thank you for your excellent reply. This si really helpful. (assuming you are not Fine Offset sales agent :-) - just kidding)
And yes I'm doing a bit of online research before purchase - not to get stuck with wrong investment...

As I understand I'm left with the 2 options (if I look only at Froggit and look at sets with display ... , but I will research for other Fine Offset clones before purchase):

https://www.froggit.de/product_info.php?info=p475_hp1000se-pro-single-sensor-edition---hp1000se-pro-display-incl--indoor-sensor---dp40-outdoor-temperature-humidity---dp80-rain-sensor---dp300-anemometer.html or

https://www.froggit.de/product_info.php?info=p471_hp1000se-pro-ultrasonic-wi-fi-internet-wireless-weather-station.html

Any advice on the difference of those?

Best,
vasja

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 12:02:42 PM »
The difference between the two options you listed is that one uses the WS80 ultrasonic anemometer and the other uses the WS68 traditional spinning anemometer. There are pros and cons of each. You can see what users have to say about these in this forum.

A nice addition to consider when ordering is the Froggit DP1500 or WH2600 as that will enable vast software compatibility. The DP1500 and WH2600 are the same as the Ecowitt GW1000.

Tele-Pole

Offline vasja

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 02:23:07 PM »
Perfect. Thank you for help!

Offline vasja

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 02:40:53 PM »
I think I’ll get HP1000SE PRO Wi-Fi  and potentially extend it later with more sensors and DP1500...

https://www.froggit.de/product_info.php?info=p436_hp1000se-pro-wi-fi-internet-wireless-weather-station.html

Thanks for help again.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 03:14:19 PM »
Great, let us know how it goes when you get it.
Tele-Pole

Offline vasja

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 03:30:07 PM »
When you get separate components then that is always better not because the sensors are better (they are the same in this case), but because you can achieve better sensor siting. Every sensor has an optimum mounting level and you can't achieve that with an all-in-one design. Therefore the all-in-one design is always a compromise.

https://www.weather.gov/media/epz/mesonet/CWOP-Siting.pdf

But the separate components will require additional investment in a proper radiation shield or Stevenson screen. Remember, proper siting for a temperature/humidity sensor is in direct sun in a radiation shield, not in the shade of building that has mass and will radiate heat.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 03:34:15 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

anything