Author Topic: Switching for Davis Pro Vantage 2  (Read 1409 times)

Offline KTMer

Switching for Davis Pro Vantage 2
« on: July 23, 2019, 03:10:16 PM »
I would like to switch on a pump when the wind reaches a certain speed. How can I accomplish this with my Pro Vantage 2?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Switching for Davis Pro Vantage 2
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 03:21:15 PM »
See if you can still find a 6544 Weatherlink for Alarm Output. They're discontinued but still some in the supply chain I suspect. You'll need to work out exactly out to wire it up (eg the onboard solid state switches won't switch a large pump on and off - it would need some sort of intermediate relay and power supply) and programming, but it's the sort of thing that will do what you're after.

Also you need a console to put it in, but it might be able to substitute for an existing logger, depending what type it is.

There are other solutions but the 6544 is probably the best bet.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 03:56:42 PM »
What is the Vantage 2 currently doing? i.e. is it connected to a computer via a logger and/or uploading data to a weather site? Depending on the answer to these questions you may have an easier way of triggering an external device based on specified climatic conditions. It might also be useful if you were to give a slightly more detailed description of your application - e.g. what is the pump doing, and what 'flavor' of wind speed (peak gust, 1 min average, 5 min average, whatever) should it be controlled by?
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 04:53:58 PM »
Easy:

• Get a Meteobridge or an Ambient WeatherBridge - Standard or Nano. The Standard will use your existing Weatherlink Logger (IP or USB both will work).
  • Add Ambientweather.net license ($150) to the Meteobridge, you don't need this license if you buy a WeatherBridge as it's already in there. A WeatherBridge is a Meteobridge by another name sold by Ambient already loaded and ready to use and fully licensed.
    * UPDATE - March 2020 - Ambientweather.net license for Meteobridge has new lower price, now just $100
  • Now your VP2 will be able to publish data to Ambientweather.net and to a bunch of other online weather services.
  • Get a Samsung Smartthings hub
  • Connect the pump to a Smartthings compatible light switch if it controls an outlet. Or get a Smartthings outlet or plug in outlet that the pump will use
  • Configure the following Smart app in Smartthings to be able to read weather data from Ambientweather.net and create a routine to trigger and power on the pump. Be sure to use Smartthings Classic app to do this.
    https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-2-7-2019-ambient-weather-station-integration-of-a-network-connected-ambient-weather-station/145788

PWS --> Logger USB or IP --> Meteobridge* Standard --> Ambientweather.net --> Smartthings Smart App --> Smartthings Switch or Outlet --> Pump
or
PWS --> Meteobridge* Nano --> Ambientweather.net --> Smartthings Smart App --> Smartthings Switch or Outlet --> Pump

* Meteobridge can be a DIY with Ambient license or it can be an Ambient WeatherBridge (already fully licensed)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:43:28 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 05:08:28 PM »
See if you can still find a 6544 Weatherlink for Alarm Output. They're discontinued but still some in the supply chain I suspect. You'll need to work out exactly out to wire it up (eg the onboard solid state switches won't switch a large pump on and off - it would need some sort of intermediate relay and power supply) and programming, but it's the sort of thing that will do what you're after.

Also you need a console to put it in, but it might be able to substitute for an existing logger, depending what type it is.

There are other solutions but the 6544 is probably the best bet.

Like https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/davis-6544-weatherlink-for-alarm-output/
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 05:15:34 PM »
This will do it, too.  https://www.controlbyweb.com/webrelay/partnumbers.html   Just  need to send some commands.  I have a couple of these devices but have not played with them for a while. 
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline KTMer

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 06:00:10 PM »
Thank you everyone for the quick and detailed responses
Looks like I have a fair amount of research to do but am encouraged by the many options posted
I also have to say that as much as I am impressed by the knowledge of those who posted, I am disappointed in Davis tech support
I called this morning with the same question and was told that what I am trying to accomplish is not possible
They need to hire better people

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 08:47:44 AM »
This will do it, too.  https://www.controlbyweb.com/webrelay/partnumbers.html   Just  need to send some commands.  I have a couple of these devices but have not played with them for a while.

Interesting stuff. The X-MDA-1 and X-320M especially so.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline KTMer

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 05:02:46 PM »
Update

I did some research and in trying to find the easiest and cheapest solution to my problem have narrowed down the options to two

The first option is johnd's suggestion of purchasing a 6544. Because I already have a WeatherlinkIP plugged into the port in the battery compartment of my console, it seem I will also have to purchase an Envoy (6316). It does appear that I will be able to program the device for both wind speed and direction which I like. Cost is about $250

The second option is galfert's very detailed and thorough recommendation of going with Meteobridge and Samsung Smarththings devices. I'm not sure I could program this setup to switch on the pump for both wind speed and direction. Cost is about $300

If previous posters would please comment on the pros and cons of both of these options I would be very grateful. In fact I already am grateful to this community of experts. Thank you!

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 05:59:34 PM »
Update

I did some research and in trying to find the easiest and cheapest solution to my problem have narrowed down the options to two

The first option is johnd's suggestion of purchasing a 6544. Because I already have a WeatherlinkIP plugged into the port in the battery compartment of my console, it seem I will also have to purchase an Envoy (6316). It does appear that I will be able to program the device for both wind speed and direction which I like. Cost is about $250

The second option is galfert's very detailed and thorough recommendation of going with Meteobridge and Samsung Smarththings devices. I'm not sure I could program this setup to switch on the pump for both wind speed and direction. Cost is about $300

If previous posters would please comment on the pros and cons of both of these options I would be very grateful. In fact I already am grateful to this community of experts. Thank you!
Both of those options seem like an awful lot of money to spend, though the SmartThings approach would give you a setup that you could add more capabilities to at relatively small incremental costs. My VP 2+ is hooked up (currently via a USB logger) to a Raspberry Pi, running weewx. If I wanted to do what you want to do, I would probably use weewx's alarm capability to toggle one of the Pi's I/O pins and hook this up to appropriate circuitry to switch the pump. My additional hardware cost would be between 0 and $20, depending on what sort of pump it is (12 V DC, mains, whatever). Even starting from where you are and needing to buy the Pi and the USB logger, the hardware cost would probably not be more than half of that of your first approach. But (and it is a big but) I have enough experience with programming and Pis that I would not anticipate the software side being a problem. If you want a 'plug and play' solution and/or are not somewhat comfortable with Unix and/or Python programming, my approach would not work for you. Whether this approach makes any sense at all for you, therefore, depends critically on your level of comfort in this realm.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline KTMer

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 06:21:30 PM »
Thank you pfletch101
You are correct
It is a fair amount of money
But I am looking for a plug and play option

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 07:37:38 PM »
Do the 6544

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 11:26:27 PM »
You want pros and cons.... No problem coming right up....

The advantages I see of my Meteobridge - -> Ambientweather.net - - > Samsung SmartThings is that you are expanding the capabilities of not just your existing weather station but you are also gaining the infrastructure to do a whole lot more with home automation with SmartThings. The Davis 6544 is a one trick pony. That is the only negative thing I'll say about that solution. A pro for the Davis 6544 is that it doesn't require the Internet.

The Meteobridge is incredibly powerful, fully featured and very easy to use as all is web menu driven. You'll be able to upload to many more weather services than you have now with just Weatherlink. Like PWSweather, AWEKAS, MetOffice, Windguru and more including your own website. Although you currently have access to CWOP it will be better with the Meteobridge because you can upload every 5 minutes. Granted you could upload to these other services without the Meteobridge if you ran another weather software like Weather Display or WeeWx. But only the Meteobridge has the capability to upload to Ambientweather.net. Obviously the missing piece of the puzzle is the API that Ambientweather.net has where someone has developed a simple SmartThings app to easily create routines for home automation. You'll also gain Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant voice control for your weather data with Ambientweather.net.

Investing in the Meteobridge and SmartThings is not just for the sole purpose of activating your pump but is a great solution for all that you gain from those systems. I'm not needing to activate a pump and I'm not even using any weather data to do any home automation with SmartThings but I have invested in both Meteobridge and SmartThings for separate purposes as I see value in these systems individually with all that they can do. I currently do have my weather station feeding data to my irrigation controller but that is a Hunter Hydrawise and it doesn't need SmartThings. But I could change things up any time if I wanted. Just having these systems means that I have the building blocks to create even more solutions and integrations. I enjoy being able to turn lights on and off by talking to Alexa and some lights are routines. I can operate my garage door with SmartThings too and many more things as I have motion sensors to alert me of different things like for example when the mailman puts the mail in the mailbox a colored light turns on in the house. The best part of home automation is that it's like Legos for adults as you just keep building and adding things and ideas. Start small just with one thing and then add things and routines and sensors as you come up with ideas or read about them. The best part is that it is all easy and getting the required pieces is not expensive because you do little at a time. It's not like building a car where you need all the pieces or you have nothing to enjoy.

As far as cons of the Meteobridge and SmartThings.... Well it might be a bit more initial investment. It might require some technical aptitude to understanding how these home automation things fit together. There is no programing required though as it is all done with apps that others have written. The other con is that if Internet goes out then SmartThings is limited in what it can do. I don't see any other cons to the Meteobridge though as it is just expanding the places of where you can send weather data and making your weather station more fun and way more useful. Everyone should have a Meteobridge or WeeWx or Weather Display regardless to expand their weather upload capability. In this case though for you only the Meteobridge has the Ambientweather.net API for SmartThings....that I know of. It is possible that someone wrote a SmartThings app for some other weather service and I've just not stumbled on it yet.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 11:37:49 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

anything