Author Topic: Signal spikes riding in  (Read 800 times)

Offline JupiterJoe

• Senior Contributor
  • JupiterWX.com
    • Live Jupiter, FL Weather
Signal spikes riding in
« on: June 05, 2020, 08:27:53 PM »
Sometimes I get signal spikes riding in on my Blitzortung lightning detector signal page. Sometimes they ride in from the right, sometimes from the left. Sometimes they ride in fast, other times slow. Sometimes they hang in the middle for a little while then scoot off. Little spikes, big spikes, medium-sized spikes! 😂
What causes this? I’ve had this system blue for years now and have always done pretty good, a pretty clean signal for the most part, but have noticed it happening more often now than in the past and was just wondering what caused these meandering spikes.
Thank you for any insight!
https://youtu.be/6svbXlV_BwI

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Signal spikes riding in
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 06:53:59 AM »
Have you looked through this sticky thread?

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=20439.0

It could be anything from a dimmer, electric fence or other impulse noise generator.

You could start by eliminating everything in your residence by turning off all circuit breakers one-at-a-time to see if the noise goes away.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline JupiterJoe

• Senior Contributor
  • JupiterWX.com
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 01:37:53 PM »
Thank you, Greg. I was more curious as to why they ride in like that. I know when I have a particular noise from something like a dimmer or neon sign or whatever, it stays prevalent over the whole graph. These ones are just little spikes that ride in randomly and move on.
Just curious as to how that particular event happens.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 02:24:23 PM »
Thank you, Greg. I was more curious as to why they ride in like that. I know when I have a particular noise from something like a dimmer or neon sign or whatever, it stays prevalent over the whole graph. These ones are just little spikes that ride in randomly and move on.
Just curious as to how that particular event happens.

Look at the display the same way as a scope, with the signals below the threshold settings, it is in free running mode with no trigger. This results in those signals just wandering around on the screen.
If you lower your threshold, you will start triggering on those signals as well. Note, you will also start sending those to the servers and might even go into interference. If you want to have a look at those pesky interference signals, set the channels to "Do not Send".
When you are done, remember to raise your thresholds and turn the channels back on.

Dries

« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 02:52:50 PM by dupreezd »
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline JupiterJoe

• Senior Contributor
  • JupiterWX.com
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 03:14:38 PM »
Thank you, Dries.
I have my thresholds set to 120 mV, and set to ignore thresholds under 100%.
I will lower this and click Do Not Send and check it out closer.
I appreciate your advice.