Author Topic: Very slow to load website - SOLVED  (Read 576 times)

Offline Ian.

• Forecaster
    • Chatteris Weather
Very slow to load website - SOLVED
« on: November 14, 2023, 03:41:49 AM »
I changed to Hostgator a couple of years ago and my sites loading speed was fine, however, I have recently noted that it takes forever to load.

Contacting Hostgator they say everything is fine at there end and that the issue is with my site and suggested I look at caching - www.chatteris.biz, a good friend pointed me to Gtmetrix and I've attached the report after I have made a couple of very minor suggested changes, its the bigger stuff that I've not much of a clue about, including caching.

Probably a daft question, but from my electrical fault finding days we used to disconnect circuits and reconnect individually until the fault presented itself, is there anything like this in the world of websites I can try or is it not as simple as that?

Thanks for your considerations
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 11:27:24 AM by Ian. »
CWOP - DW3371
PWS - ICAMBRID16
https://www.chatteris.biz

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: Very slow to load website
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 09:36:36 AM »
Sure.. here's what I do when diagnosing slow site issues with the template.

1) first test the loading of the included-by-settings scripts that access external data by running check-fetch-times.php
    if it returns data fast and shows no caching issues, then try:
2) load wxnewpage.php in your browser, if it's fast, then some script being included in your index.php page is likely the cause,
   if it is also slow, then run check-fetch-times.php?show=structure and look for include/include_once/require/require_once for
  scripts added.
Doing this, I found the following extra scripts added:
in header.php there is include ('wrnWarningv3.php'); and include_once("crtest.php");
in menubar.php there is include_once("ukextremes.php");

3) I'd try commenting out those extra scripts one at a time and see if the removing one causes the pages to speed up.  If so, you've found your culprit.

Hope this helps...

Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Ian.

• Forecaster
    • Chatteris Weather
Re: Very slow to load website
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 11:27:11 AM »
Hi Ken

This was the rascal causing me a big headache - 'wrnWarningv3.php', I've deleted it and the site loads brilliantly.

Many thanks for your help...yet again :-)
CWOP - DW3371
PWS - ICAMBRID16
https://www.chatteris.biz

anything