Author Topic: Climatronics 100108 Wind Mark III, help pairing to TWI WR-25  (Read 4846 times)

Offline WX4GPS

• North Elkhorn Creek Weather Station
Re: Climatronics 100108 Wind Mark III, help pairing to TWI WR-25
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2019, 05:28:49 PM »
Thank you!  yes it is the sensor in the pagoda shield
<B>North Elkhorn Creek Weather Station</B><P>
Looking for vintage weather station documentation, available parts, and photographs for stations that are not produced anymore.   Please upload at groups.io/g/Weather.  Thank you!

Offline WX4GPS

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2019, 05:43:45 PM »
I realized its a 8 pin connector and the outer connectors is the rain so pins pins 2 to 7 that are used
Looking for vintage weather station documentation, available parts, and photographs for stations that are not produced anymore.   Please upload at groups.io/g/Weather.  Thank you!

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2019, 10:08:51 PM »
OK, here are some notes I've kept for the pagoda, taken over the years, both from the docs that were (are still?) on line and from talking with the techs at TWI when they were in business and answering the phone.

I also have a non-working pagoda that I looked at on the bench.  I somewhere had some notes on a replacement humidity sensor and how to wire it that was discussed here a few weeks or a month ago.  I have yet to order a sensor to wire in.  I also thought someone was going to tell what the temperature sensor was so a complete rebuild of a non-functioning pagoda could be done, but that's for later I guess.

Oh, and a note on wire color, colors of wires inside the bundle and all.  I have pagodas with a grey wire coming out of it (the one I'm fixing now) and the wire colors inside it are:  Black (temp -), White (temp +) which I have a note is about 7.5 v but haven't checked it for sure.

The other wires in the grey cable bundle (not flat ribbon cable) are Red (RH Power), Blue (RH signal output), Green (RH Reference), and Brown (RH Ground).  Note that one diagram I have a yellow wire with RH Ground also noted but no Brown wire, so it must be some wire is made coded with a Brown or Yellow, not both.

The pin connections that I have written down are:

Pin 6 -  Black -- Temp (-)
Pin 7 - White -- Temp (+)

Pin 5 - Red  -- RH Power
Pin 2 - Blue -- RH Signal output
Pin 4 - Green - RH Reference
Pin 3 - Brown - RH Ground

I'm not sure what the sensor in the pagoda does with the RH Reference voltage, and I have not checked the voltage on this pin, and I do not know how much voltage is on the RH Power pin, either.

So my RJ-45  8 pin plug has

1 -  NC (or rain)
2 - Blue
3- Yellow (or Brown)
4 - Green
5 - Red
6 - Black
7 - White
8- NC (or rain)

The final listing I'll give is the incoming cables to the station, from the junction box.  I found initially that to be a pain, but with the later stations with ribbon or cat 5 black coated cable, it was better than the old Molex connectors by a lot!

The box also allows the Blue connections (temp, humidity and rain) to have a separate two wire line from the tipping bucket rain gauge to combine into the outgoing wire carrying the six pagoda signals.

Anyway, there is the Flat type of cable, sort of that used with some of the pagodas rather than the grey round wire, but also connecting in on some stations.  On most of the newer stations, everything was the black sunlight resistance coating CAT 5 4 twisted pair cable, with a shrink wrap of blue, or yellow to identify the otherwise identical cable as it runs to the station to plug in.

I got confused when the tech would say the black or grey or flat cable, and once I got that through my thick skull, it also made the wire colors inside make more sense.

Here goes:
                              Wire Color In Cable
Pin    Function     Flat Cable      Cat 5 wire color

1      Rain (-)      Brown            Blue
2      RH signal    Blue               Blue/White (stripe)
3      RH Ground  Yellow            Green
4      RH Ref       Green             Green/white (stripe)
5      RH Power   Red                Brown
6      Temp (-)   Black              Brown/white (stripe)
7      Temp (+)   Orange           Orange
8      Rain (+)    Gray               Orange/white (stripe)

I hope this helps and it comes from the stuff in their doc files when it was on line, and talking with them.  I've not verified any of it with a working pagoda, but it all seems to add up and other than having some cables with yellow wire in them, no other collisions.

I'm hoping someone knows what the temperature sensor part number is, and perhaps if they have made a working substitute for the Honeywell (I think) sensor that was mentioned some time ago how they went about that.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2019, 10:14:52 PM »
Kev, I have made some progress in getting to the part of the storage shed with all the cups and stuff for the climatronics you're rebuilding.  I hope to make more progress in the next couple days.  We had, of course, Mother's Day this weekend, and along with our 40th wedding anniversary, had other competing items for my limited time along with getting the winter crud washed off the cars. 

Did you make note of the Texas Instruments diode part number for the temp sensor?  And which cathode/anode end went to witch colored wire after you un-taped the rodent chew?
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2019, 10:19:35 PM »
looney2ns:

I looked again at the Honeywell humidity sensor, and it is a three terminal chip, which makes perfect sense.

I'm curious as to how the TWI uses FOUR wires, as noted. The +, ground and signal out are naturals, but I wonder what the RH Ref voltage is and where it goes?

Did you say you were the one who was able to open the pagoda sensor, or had the history of using one of these to re-create a working humidity sensor for the TWI?  I wonder if we can find out why the four wires and where they go?

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline WX4GPS

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2019, 12:05:32 AM »
Thank you for the pin out on the temp humidity, the sensor I have is working fine.  Just a little background, I bought a TX Wx Report back in 92 when I lived in Illinois, now in Kentucky at some point around 2007-2011 I donated it to our emergency management...   They began having problems 6 to 8 months ago and was getting no where with the company, they came to ask me what they should buy they needed to replace it...  I recommended and they did purchase a Campbell Scientific CR310 with Vaisala temp/humidity, I donated a RM wind Monitor, and they bought a TE525 rain gauge.  but when they took the old station down they noticed the junction box was full of water, but they hacked all the cables and asked if I wanted it back they thought it might still work...

So today was my play day, and the sensor only had 3 inches of wire on it, so I wanted to crimp a connector on to it to see if the temp and humidity worked... While I was waiting for your response, I had less then one inch of wire coming out of the boom for wind, so I unscrewed housing for the wind and checked that all out, the bearings move freely but one of them is noisy.  That may be my next investigation is to pull the bearings out with a caliper and see if I can find good replacements that would be of equal or better quality. but the sensor is 100 percent acceptable in how its functioning as is.  I took a Cat cable and ran it from the wind to the wind input on the unit and it worked with no modification of the cable so I know I could just buy a 100 ft cable for that. I have the TWI Rain bucket as well that is actually decent quality in my experience with it previously it registered well.

I have to aux temp or indoor temp which I wish I had cause I enjoyed a soil temp on the Aux when I had it. the humidity dialed in nicely to what my in room hydrometer showed and pressure is all working great.  I was planning to sell it, and now that everything is working in above satisfaction condition I am trying to determine if I am partial to it or not.  I think I would prefer to some how determine how I can cut away that white think dipped coating they have the pagoda temp/humidity sensor in, so I could wire right to the board for the outdoor humidity/thermometer sensor.   But you have been a great help and I appreciate it..

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2019, 01:31:52 AM »
Campbell Scientific CR1000 with Thermometris PRT / HMP35C/LI200X/RM Young 05305/ PTB101B/TB4 // HOBO Weather Station / Davis VP 2 FARS / Peet Bros U-100 / Davis Vantage Vue / Texas Weather Report WR-25 / Heath ID-5001 / Heath ID-4001 / Rainwise WindLog / NovaLynx 8"  SRG / 4" CoCoRaHS (KY-SC-1)

Your "stable" is very impressive. =D&gt;

Offline Kev

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2019, 02:43:05 AM »
Goodness, lots of new posts!  I’ve been so busy, I apologize for being absent.

BTW Kev, I have the name numbers showing up on power up on my WR-25 it uses the standard TWI Wind sensor.

Thank you WX4, yes, Dale assisted me with the version codes a while back.  The massive challenge now is I need to locate a TWI wind sensor assembly. The other issue is I do not have the outdoor humidity/temp circuit board (or the TWI pagoda to house it).  I need to either build a circuit board, (which I would need a full schematic for) or find an existing one.  Problem with a schematic being drawn, as you and Dale have mentioned, is the opaque circuit board sealant they used to waterproof.  If that could be peeled off, it could eaily be reverse-engineered and a schematic made.  Not having seen one, I don’t know how easy it would be to remove the sealant.  If you’re lucky it may just lift right off in one sheet.

I did order the humidity sensor and the temperature sensing diode.  I have them sitting here still sealed in the boxes.  The replacement Honeywell humidity sensor has been confirmed as compatible by member looney2ns, but is unusable I am guessing unless I can find a board as I mentioned. The temp diode I will be able to wire and test, since I can connect that direct to the indoor temp input.

Yes, that was me Dale, I was the one who mentioned testing the temp diode.  I may have time to try it tomorrow.  I’ll take my multimeter and test the voltages that you haven’t done yet as well.  I did test the wind supply voltage, that is 8.06 if I remember correctly.

On the TWI temp diode, the center ground leg is snipped off. The cathode is hooked to black and anode is hooked to red as would be expected for color coding. However, it’s interesting that they have the indoor probe wired to the auxillary circuit. For the regular indoor temp circuit it would be cathode to yellow and anode to green. Also, the two diodes are not legged the same. On the old one, with the flat facing you, legs down, it’s +Vs in, GND, V-out. The diode I ended up ordering was the Texas Instruments LM34CAZ/NOPB-ND, on that one, with the flat facing you, legs down, it’s GND, V-out, +Vs. Photo of the original TWI temp diode (still functions fine)-

Not to worry Dale, as I mentioned I’ve been completely busy as well. Congratulations on your anniversary! Before you get too far along with the Climatronics parts, I am now seriously considering selling on the Wind Mark III boom, as I will more than likely never be able to interface it with the WR-25.  A conversion on the console is now most likely impossible since TWI has completely closed at this point. The only option is to track down one of their former techs personally.  I do have LinkedIn, so that may be an option. I do have the wind boom pretty much completely refurbished, I still have to install a cable on it but then it will be an excellent boom for someone who can actually use it.  Oh, that was another interesting development. Apparently Climatronics is also completely out of business.  I tried to contact tech support and never heard back.  Their website copyright is also out of date by two years.

In new exciting news, I acquired the latest Heathkit that was on eBay, I got a 1990 ID-5001-C, with all the sensors except rain.  A bit pricey, but I couldn’t resist, I’ve wanted one since I was a kid, plus probably a good price considering all the sensors included. I have it up and running now after a few weeks of restoration work on it (not the electronics, they all work perfectly) re-calibration, and getting everything I needed to mount it on the roof safely.  Operates without a single flaw, even the humidity tracks fine.  True WX dream machine. Definitely the most advanced WX console to date. I’ll do a seperate thread on that soon.

I am still fully committed to also getting the TWI functioning, but it is a challenge for sure.

Here’s all the pin connections for the TWI (click to enlarge)-

Dale, would you have a spare tipping rain gauge you’d be willing to part with by any chance?  Not picky about make, just need one that works or is repairable.
Heath ID-5001-C Advanced Weather Computer (1990)
Texas Weather Instruments WR-25 (1998)

Offline looney2ns

• http://members.sigecom.net/looney2ns/
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2019, 12:00:30 PM »
Goodness, lots of new posts!  I’ve been so busy, I apologize for being absent.

BTW Kev, I have the name numbers showing up on power up on my WR-25 it uses the standard TWI Wind sensor.

Thank you WX4, yes, Dale assisted me with the version codes a while back.  The massive challenge now is I need to locate a TWI wind sensor assembly. The other issue is I do not have the outdoor humidity/temp circuit board (or the TWI pagoda to house it).  I need to either build a circuit board, (which I would need a full schematic for) or find an existing one.  Problem with a schematic being drawn, as you and Dale have mentioned, is the opaque circuit board sealant they used to waterproof.  If that could be peeled off, it could eaily be reverse-engineered and a schematic made.  Not having seen one, I don’t know how easy it would be to remove the sealant.  If you’re lucky it may just lift right off in one sheet.

I did order the humidity sensor and the temperature sensing diode.  I have them sitting here still sealed in the boxes.  The replacement Honeywell humidity sensor has been confirmed as compatible by member looney2ns, but is unusable I am guessing unless I can find a board as I mentioned. The temp diode I will be able to wire and test, since I can connect that direct to the indoor temp input.

Yes, that was me Dale, I was the one who mentioned testing the temp diode.  I may have time to try it tomorrow.  I’ll take my multimeter and test the voltages that you haven’t done yet as well.  I did test the wind supply voltage, that is 8.06 if I remember correctly.

On the TWI temp diode, the center ground leg is snipped off. The cathode is hooked to black and anode is hooked to red as would be expected for color coding. However, it’s interesting that they have the indoor probe wired to the auxillary circuit. For the regular indoor temp circuit it would be cathode to yellow and anode to green. Also, the two diodes are not legged the same. On the old one, with the flat facing you, legs down, it’s +Vs in, GND, V-out. The diode I ended up ordering was the Texas Instruments LM34CAZ/NOPB-ND, on that one, with the flat facing you, legs down, it’s GND, V-out, +Vs. Photo of the original TWI temp diode (still functions fine)-

Not to worry Dale, as I mentioned I’ve been completely busy as well. Congratulations on your anniversary! Before you get too far along with the Climatronics parts, I am now seriously considering selling on the Wind Mark III boom, as I will more than likely never be able to interface it with the WR-25.  A conversion on the console is now most likely impossible since TWI has completely closed at this point. The only option is to track down one of their former techs personally.  I do have LinkedIn, so that may be an option. I do have the wind boom pretty much completely refurbished, I still have to install a cable on it but then it will be an excellent boom for someone who can actually use it.  Oh, that was another interesting development. Apparently Climatronics is also completely out of business.  I tried to contact tech support and never heard back.  Their website copyright is also out of date by two years.

In new exciting news, I acquired the latest Heathkit that was on eBay, I got a 1990 ID-5001-C, with all the sensors except rain.  A bit pricey, but I couldn’t resist, I’ve wanted one since I was a kid, plus probably a good price considering all the sensors included. I have it up and running now after a few weeks of restoration work on it (not the electronics, they all work perfectly) re-calibration, and getting everything I needed to mount it on the roof safely.  Operates without a single flaw, even the humidity tracks fine.  True WX dream machine. Definitely the most advanced WX console to date. I’ll do a seperate thread on that soon.

I am still fully committed to also getting the TWI functioning, but it is a challenge for sure.

Here’s all the pin connections for the TWI (click to enlarge)-

Dale, would you have a spare tipping rain gauge you’d be willing to part with by any chance?  Not picky about make, just need one that works or is repairable.

I would recommend the Rainwise. It works well.

Offline Kev

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2019, 11:38:03 PM »
I would recommend the Rainwise. It works well.

I've heard good things about the Rainwise, I assume you mean the Rainwise Rainew 111?  I assume this works fine with these consoles even though it ships with the digital counter.  I was considering a surplus Teledyne ISCO 674, but the prices are a bit high for me and probably that is a bit of industrial overkill for a home weather station.

So the good news!!!  I finally got to wire the diode today, and it is a total success! Texas Electronics LM34CAZ/NOPB, found here https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/texas-instruments/LM34CAZ-NOPB/LM34CAZ-NOPB-ND/117873 Anyone who needs some temp probes or to replace the outdoor sensor on their TWI consoles can do it now.

I however found out through hooking it up, that it is NOT wired as you would think.  It turns out it does get wired exactly the same as the original.  GND on the diode as I discovered is used as the cathode for the TWI.

So, revised indoor/aux circuit:
Diode, flat side facing you, legs down, from left to right: Leg 1 is Anode (to red + or green +) Leg 2, volts out (not used) Leg 3 GND/Cathode (to black - or yellow -).

As I said, on my TWI WR-25, the indoor temp probe is wired to red and black, which would normally be the aux temp, according to TWIs wiring schematic. Green and yellow are supposedly the normal indoor temp probe circuit, but are unused on my console.  So when you do a temp diode replacement, just verify what color pair wires are serving what reading.

Voltage out on the temp circuit fluctuates up and down, but tops out at 7.7 volts max.

Does anyone have a photo of the outdoor humidity/temp board?  Is it just a mounting surface for the sensors, ie wired straight through to the console, or does it have circuitry on it that is required to run the outdoor sensors?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 11:42:41 PM by Kev »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2019, 11:22:55 AM »
Kev,
Thanks for doing the testing and verification of the type of component and correct wiring for the temperature sensor.  That is great news, and the write up helps for me rather than someone saying "wire in a compatible device and you'll be good."  Your step by step and description helps foolproof it for us.

As to your question about a pagoda board.... I have a pagoda in the house (away from the swarms of mosquitoes which came out in the last couple days, don't want to spray for fear of killing what few bees I have around here, and will 'try' to get it apart and photo the board if I can this weekend.  Way behind as usual and the better half wants to get the yard back in shape.  Oh well.  But my suspicion is from having one apart a few years ago that it is just a mounting surface for the two sensors, and no electronics on the board.  But I can be wrong.

My concern is that many years ago when the original sensors for the HeathKit ID-5001 came out, the humidity board was really bad, so much so that they came out with a new design, which you had to buy.  The interesting thing was there were components on their board, but it also came with a packet of some wild smelling stuff that you had to flood the board with, except for the sensor, to sort of seal it against the elements.  I wonder if this is common, and done to keep 100% humidity or condensing moisture from eventually doing damage to the underlying boad, even if it is fiberglas.

I'm thinking that since some temp diodes are potted in a little sleeve that it won't bother the diode, and just makes more mass to equalize with the environmental temperature.  But the humidity sensor has to expose the surface to the air, so can't be sealed.  I would think a little board with a couple pins to solder the wire to the house and the pins of each sensor would do it.  A perfboard that could stand up to humidity would work too, I'd think.

I'll let you know and thanks again for your work.

Are you still looking for a rain gauge?
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2019, 06:39:57 PM »
Kev:
Update for the T/RH board inside the TWI pagoda.

Last night I started, and will have a few pictures to update when I can.  Busy day with nice weather and was outside almost all of it.

I found a fiberglas board inside, with some sort of white elastomeric type of stuff painted over it.  I began to peel it back slowly, and found a few surprises.

The temperature sensing diode is directly connected to traces that go to the T+ and T- terminals and wire attachments.

The Humidity sensor is a bit more involved.  There are two resisters, four electrolytics and an 8 pin IC on the board and while the traces are pretty simple, I've not diagrammed them yet, nor been able to read the inscription on the IC yet to see if it is a voltage regulator or line driver or what.

From the simplicity of the traces on the board it should be relatively easy to just point to point wire up something.  I'm not sure what the Vref line does, whether it is a reference back from the board to the display console or there is some reference voltage the console sends out vs. the ground and V+.

Anyway, I was surprised to find more in there than I anticipated.

I hope to get to examine the board more tonight and at least find out the IC type which will be a big deal.

Also, I'm not sure what the white elastic stuff is that they coated it with.  Must be runny at first since it got under some of the leads for the resisters on the board and also between the three leads on the humidity sensor and took a lot of time with the magnifier and some small dental instruments and hemostats and Xacto knife to free it up with as little stress on the leads as I could.  Everything was coated, except the top of the diode as it stood up, and the front open side of the humidity sensor, so they did a pretty good job of protecting it from the dirt and water and elements.

As I said, pictures to come but for the devoted hobbyist who wants to get one of these back on line and wants to build one, I think it can be done. 

The anemometer thing is going to be tougher.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2019, 10:07:52 PM »
More updates:
I have hopefully not bothered the other components, but after another hour of snipping away at the stuff, I have confirmed that the temp sensor is only attached to the +T and -T wires, and is a three terminal Analog Devices 592ANZ temperature sensor.  The middle (terminal 2) leg is soldered to the board but not connected to anything.

The Humidity sensor has a very small number on it, and a stick on label of '433' but with my lighting and magnification haven't been able to read the number on the case, if there is even one.  It has three resisters and four capacitors in a circuit with a Texas Instruments LT1013CP Instrument Amplifier, 8 pin, DIP plastic.  The V+ and G connections are correct.  There is enough stuff casting shadows when I transilluminate the board that I haven't sketched out the circuit diagram, and verified the electrolytic capacitors and the three resister values and connections as of yet.

Slow but sure.  One complication is that when the somewhat flexible but incredibly sticky stuff was removed from one of the resisters, the color band painted on for value was removed, too.  I'm hoping when the rest of the circuit is sketched out, that a reasonable value can be guessed (x1 or x10 amplification) can be determined.

So far I am still a bit curious as to the S and Vr values might be.  S seems likely to be a variable voltage that is indicative of the humidity, but how this is used with a Vr signal is still not clear to me.  Is the Vr an offset?  Is it something that varies with supply voltage and is used in the console to improve accuracy?  Is Vr supplied FROM the console for the Op Amp to smooth things out based on the 25% and 75% humidity readings that are used to calibrate for voltages?

More to come. Frustrating but sort of fun at the same time.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline looney2ns

• http://members.sigecom.net/looney2ns/
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2019, 05:21:23 PM »
Pics of my backup pagoda board.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 11:25:38 AM by looney2ns »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2019, 05:42:38 PM »
Thanks for the pics, and that you've been able to keep an existing board going.  I will try to plot out where all the connections go and how the wiring is hooked up for others with more innate electronics sense than I have.

I have one board pretty well uncovered, and will get one of the Honeywell devices, and then before reassembling everything, test it out a bit on a working WRL-25.

Again, the effort to take pictures and offer advice to others here on the forum is a wonderful thing.  Thanks so much.  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Kev

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2019, 11:11:32 PM »
Well yet again I have been meaning to get back here to the board and all my time has been taken up between one thing and another.

I should also add to my previous post, for anyone new to this, that after changing the diode you will have to calibrate it as with any sensor replacement.  It will read some 300º+ when you first power the console on. Make sure you have an accurate reference device and adjust the console to the correct temperature.

Thank you for doing all your dissection work on the board Dale.  You're doing a great service. It’s great to be unlocking the secrets of this.  By the time we make it to the end of this project, we may be able to have a complete archive of information for someone to take only a TWI console and build/add all of the sensors themselves.

Those are some big breakthroughs, you’ve identified the actual temp diode they used.  Although, I think they used a variety of diodes through the years.  Mine does not have any name on it, just “Japan”, where it was made.  And some almost illegible numbers that didn’t turn up any results when I tried searching them.  It’s interesting though, that temp diode you uncovered is listed on Mouser as celsius, but it may not be the exact one, as the one they have has an “AD” prefix to the model number.

The Texas Electronics LT1013CP is still available in it’s original form. If you can successfully identify the three resistors and four caps, and work up a schematic we’ll have that sorted out perfectly.  Have you had any luck yet with identification? I’m not surprised the humidity board is similiar to the Heathkit board.  Fewer components though, which is good.  And it sounds as though the circuit layout is pretty simple.  Is the resistor color band possibly still visible on the underside of the sealant that it came off with?

Indeed the wind sensors will be a challenge.  If once you get through the temperature/humidty board you can dissect the wind sensor next, that would be wonderful.  I’d love to see pictures of the components inside that as well. If it’s optical encoders are as simple as Heathkit’s, I could recreate one from scratch I imagine.  I have also hung onto the Climatronics for now until it’s definitively ruled out as a possible sensor.

Thank you for the photos, looney2ns, much appreciated.  Boy did they apply that on thick on those boards, wow! That’s way overkill. It’s what I thought it was, what I was picturing from your descriptions.  It’s white RTV (room temperature vulcanized) silicone adhesive.  It’s normally used to secure through-hole components to a board to prevent component vibration and for thermal properties.  I believe neither of which were the uses here. It appears to be done simply to seal the board against moisture. They do make a clear RTV version, which would have been much better.  That leads me to the answer to your earlier question Dale, the reason for the board sealant is to prevent water-bridging across any of the circuits causing a short.

And yes, I do indeed still need a rain gauge.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2019, 08:32:29 AM »
For some reason my wife thinks my hobbies should not take priority to yard work, lawn, fixing car, etc.

I've still got the pagoda open, need to take more pix, post pix, trace diagrams and test what is there.  I have verified the wiring (other than some color differences in the kinds of Belden vs. other brands they used, and it all is in real life what their diagrams showed.

I'll get to it, but not sure when, maybe this weekend after the garage is straightened up.

I'm still looking for a rain gauge.  I know there is one in the shed, but haven't pawed through all the other stuff piled up on in but have faith.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Kev

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2019, 08:42:13 PM »
Not to worry Dale, I'm totally logged with work myself.  And I know all about those honey-do lists, there isn't really an option of getting out of those.  Hopefully you get time to dedicate to your hobbies though.

I just got a German Testo 511 absolute pressure and altitude meter which is a treat to have for barometer calibration on these stations. You enter your exact altitude, and it gives you the precise pressure for that exact location.  It also has lots of other bells and whistles, along with every form of pressure measurement. I didn't want to use the nearest NWS airport reading as it's more than 500' higher in elevation.

I'm really looking forward to all your findings when you have time.  Thank you for the work digging for the rain gauge, too, it sounds as though it's quite buried.