Author Topic: Lingering Umbrella icon  (Read 400 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Lingering Umbrella icon
« on: September 21, 2018, 04:51:42 PM »
Today, well after an hour after a rain event, all of my Davis consoles were showing the "umbrella" icon.

The sun was shining. It was (and still is) quite windy so I thought that there may be a false tip problem. I checked the data plots and the last indication was almost an hour in the past.

It finally cleared itself. This must be an "ISS thing" since multiple consoles were showing the icon, and they all cleared simultaneously.

Since owning Davis since 2011, I have never seen this.

I guess that I will just shrug it off as a glitch. Anyone else ever see this happen?

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
Re: Lingering Umbrella icon
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 08:26:43 AM »
I understand the umbrella is meant to mean there has been a tip within the last 15 minutes. I have never noticed it to be inaccurate. I think the only influence the ISS has over the umbrella is sending tip indication. What plot did you check? My personal guess is that you indeed had a tip later than you thought reasonable.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Lingering Umbrella icon
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 08:31:51 AM »
I understand the umbrella is meant to mean there has been a tip within the last 15 minutes. I have never noticed it to be inaccurate. I think the only influence the ISS has over the umbrella is sending tip indication. What plot did you check? My personal guess is that you indeed had a tip later than you thought reasonable.

I agree that this is how it normally behaves, but this was a fluke occurrence.

I checked the plot function in the old PC-Program Weatherlink. I also have plots generated by meteohub and meteobridge. They all agreed. There was no recent tip for the past hour (almost) yet the umbrella was showing.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF