Author Topic: My WS-2902A is not reporting til Ambient Weather or WHU  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Pvest

My WS-2902A is not reporting til Ambient Weather or WHU
« on: September 16, 2019, 10:38:04 AM »
I have some strange problem with my WS 2902A station.
It stopped reporting to Ambient Weather 10 days ago.

Tried to set it up again several times, using Ambient Console and Awnet app, without any result.

Going to Ambient Weather app, under My device I can see my station with correct MAC and time zone location is shown, but saying: not reporting…
In Dashboard , showing “There is no real-time data yet. Give us a sec…"
Waiting for data to load….

Have tried to delete both ambient weather apps on my android and reinstalled again.
But the same result every time.
When open Ambient Tool app, I can see my device, under  Device list, AMBWeather-WIFI2EEF with correct MAC, IP address. Only strange reading is the firmware reading
Firmware: 4.0.2
Upgrade Firmware: 3.0.3
If my device have firmware 4.0.2, why am I given option to upgrade (downgrade) to 3.0.3??

Reading user manual setup and Troubleshooting Guide, gives me no answer. Just repeating Pres Wind-Pressure etc….. (which I have tried 4-5 times now)

Can anyone give me another good tip on “how to make my devise reporting again”? Can’t find my problem in the user manual or on the net?

Kindly Pvest

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: My WS-2902A is not reporting til Ambient Weather or WHU
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 12:46:59 PM »
Seems like you have a WS-2902A and not a WS-2902.

WS-2902 = firmware 3.x.x
WS-2902A = firmware 4.x.x

The Ambient Weather Osprey Tool app is only for the WS-2902.

The mobile app you should be using is awnet for the WS-2902A.

There are some things to check. Some routers can affect the ability of the WS-2902A to properly work because they have the wrong time zone set. Check your router that is has the correct time zone configured.

Some troubleshooting links to try:
https://ambientweather.net/help/will-not-report-to-ambientweather-net-and-wunderground-com-but-wifi-icon-is-on/
https://ambientweather.net/help/wunderground-com-not-reporting-ambientweather-net-works-fine/
https://ambientweather.net/help/ambientweather-net-stopped-reporting-weather-underground-com-works-fine-ws-2902/
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Pvest

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 01:44:50 PM »
Hi and thanks for your reply.

You wrote that I have to use awnet for my WS-2902A.
The problem is when I search for awnet in Google Play on my Huawei Mobil, I only get Ambient Weather Osprey Tool and Ambient Weather apps. Do not find any app named awnet.

If I’m searching for awnet in google and try to open with Google Play, I’m getting “This is not available in your country”.
My country is Norway and it is very odd if my WS-2902A have to use awnet for to work proper, and I’m not able to get it because I live in a great little country like Norway. :-(
What a strange way dealing with customers!!!! 

My station have been working okey for the last 12 months, and I have as far as I remember uses the same app, when installed the first time. !!!!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 02:02:08 PM »
If you are in Norway you likely do not have a Ambient branded station. You likely have some other brand with some other model number. It may look like a WS-2902A but it isn't. They are all made by Fine Offset.

Therefore the correct app for your station is WS View app from Fine Offset.
Tele-Pole

Offline Pvest

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 05:05:09 PM »
Not sure why you are meaning this?
I bought this ws-2902A on Ebay from a New Jersey dealer i 2018 and it's marked WA5WH2902 Model WS-2902A.

So if this dosent suppose to be a real Ambient branded station, I don't know how Ebay can advertise it as one!!??

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 05:36:19 PM »
Well you are in a pickle. Ambient branded stations are not available for purchase outside of the US through authorized sellers. The fact that you bought it through eBay says everything.

The pickle is that you need awnet to manage Ambient stations. And you can't get it because it is blocked by your country. You can somewhat use WS View instead but I think that only works after the station is online and configured. I also don't know if you'll be able to do firmware updates with WS View.

An option is to try and get awnet via some other source and side load it on your Android device. This is something that you should only do at your own risk as sideoading apps and bypassing the Play Store is a security concern.

All three mobile apps: awnet and WS View and the Ambient Osprey Tool all look the same. They all come from the same place...Fine Offset. But they are different enough that they were designed for particular versions of their stations that are running slightly modified firmware. That is why you can't just use any one of these apps with any station.

WS View - is for all non-Ambient branded stations (like Ecowitt, Froggit, and many others).
awnet - is for Ambient new branded stations (WS-2902A, WS-2000) with an exception that it won't work with original WS-2902 (non-A version)
Ambient Osprey Tool - is only for Ambient original WS-2902 (non-A version)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 05:46:05 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 05:53:54 PM »
If you still have an option to return to the eBay seller I would. You may have recourse through eBay if they won't take it back through their Buyer Protection if it applies. Lastly you can also find out if you have any protections from your Credit Card company if you used that to fund the purchase.

What that seller is doing on eBay is not right if they are selling it as a new product and they are selling many of these. If it was just a one off seller that was just getting rid of their used station then I can understand the mistake.

What you should have purchased is an Ecowitt station.
An equivalent Ecowitt model would have been the WH2910C but I would highly recommend instead the WH2551 which is much easier to configure and get online and doesn't require the WS View app and has more features.

Ecowitt WH2910C is like an Ambient WS-2902A
Ecowitt WH2551 is like an Ambient WS-2000

« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 05:56:55 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Pvest

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 05:16:31 PM »
Will like to say thanks to all of you.

I did manage to find a direct awnet download link which enabled me to sett up my WS-2902 again and even upgraded my firmware.

Now it's reporting like before.
Crossing fingers, that it will do so until end of "station-time".

Thanks. :-)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 06:12:33 PM »
You are welcome. Glad you got it going and found a source for awnet app.

Tele-Pole