Author Topic: Windows 11 Mic Input for Wx Radio  (Read 2228 times)

Offline colonieweather

• Contributor
    • Colonie Weather Online
Windows 11 Mic Input for Wx Radio
« on: December 21, 2022, 07:36:39 PM »
Hi.

I just purchased a PC with Windows 11.  I noticed that this PC doesn't have the pink microphone jack in the back. It is just green.

So, I went and purchased an audio cable with both a headphone and microphone jack in one (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DMCZQF?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details).  Unfortunately, my PC still did not recognize it as a microphone, so I am unable to share my NOAA Weather Radio feed via the WR-300 model. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Chris
WXL-34 Albany
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 01:32:59 PM by colonieweather »
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
WeatherLink v6.0.5
colonieweatheronline.com
Wx Underground - KNYCOLON3
APRS/CWOP - EW0288

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Windows 11 Mic Input
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 08:32:10 PM »
What is the computer manufacturer and model ?

Offline colonieweather

• Contributor
    • Colonie Weather Online
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 08:38:01 PM »
Dell - Inspiron Compact Desktop - Intel Core i7-12700 - 16GB Memory - 512GB SSD - Mist Blue

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-compact-desktop-intel-core-i7-12700-16gb-memory-512gb-ssd-mist-blue/6501298.p?skuId=6501298
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
WeatherLink v6.0.5
colonieweatheronline.com
APRS/CWOP - EW0288

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 05:59:13 AM »
Hi.

I just purchased a PC with Windows 11.  I noticed that this PC doesn't have the pink microphone jack in the back. It is just green.

So, I went and purchased an audio cable with both a headphone and microphone jack in one (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DMCZQF?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details).  Unfortunately, my PC still did not recognize it as a microphone, so I am unable to share my NOAA Weather Radio feed via the WR-300 model. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Chris
WXL-34 Albany
usually this is either a driver problem or privacy settings but it's worth checking your set up with something you know is working just to check it isn't hardware

Go into privacy settings and ensure microphone is enabled for any apps you are using and check device manager to ensure microphone is enabled

I have had issues like this in the recent past after using a wide range of headsets etc during lockdown and use this checklist this seems to be the most recent version

https://win10faq.com/fix-microphone-settings/

Offline colonieweather

• Contributor
    • Colonie Weather Online
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2022, 06:32:47 AM »
I think it might be a driver problem?  The splitter I purchased from Amazon is not being recognized.  My privacy settings look good.  I don't see anything in device manager. I just see the default audio that came with the PC under sounds, video and game controllers and that's enabled.

Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
WeatherLink v6.0.5
colonieweatheronline.com
APRS/CWOP - EW0288

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2022, 09:42:54 AM »
I think it might be a driver problem?  The splitter I purchased from Amazon is not being recognized.  My privacy settings look good.  I don't see anything in device manager. I just see the default audio that came with the PC under sounds, video and game controllers and that's enabled.
Is there an alternative to audio cable? Usb tends to be less finicky , I am not familiar with the things you are linking

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2022, 09:59:43 AM »
Just a thought, maybe it all needs to be connected before the system sees it.. 

Offline colonieweather

• Contributor
    • Colonie Weather Online
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2022, 10:10:18 AM »
I did find a USB to microphone adapter that has its own sound card.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RS11M1T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Maybe this will help?  I have no idea.  I'm so used to plug-and-play, and things work.  No sure why PC would come without a mic jack.

My NOAA stream may be forced into retirement.

Thank you for your help and suggestions!
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
WeatherLink v6.0.5
colonieweatheronline.com
APRS/CWOP - EW0288

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2022, 10:39:35 AM »
Go to Dell.com and look up the manual. The jack in the back (Green) is for speakers. That has always been the standard color. Your mic/headphone jack is on the front. That splitter you bought won't work. Dell did have some Optiplex models that had the rear jack as an either/or....plug in speakers and the Dell would detect speakers...plug in the mic and the Dell would detect a mic. Same for the front jack. Originally the speaker (green) and Mic (Red) were in the rear.

Yours is a Speaker rear and Mic/Headphone front jacks. Go to the link below and click on Front, Back and Back Panel.

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/inspiron-3910-desktop/inspiron-3910-setup-and-specifications/front?guid=guid-8eb71770-2108-414b-8b3a-a17dba540d1a&lang=en-us

« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 10:47:10 AM by Garth Bock »

Offline colonieweather

• Contributor
    • Colonie Weather Online
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 11:18:33 AM »
Thanks for the info.  So, I would need to plug in the weather radio's earphone jack to the front of the PC. 

Using a TRRS Aux cable that has mic capabilities. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RB17ZY1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I'm using a TRS cable... for some reason it worked with my old PC. 

Also, would that USB to mic adapter that I provided in a previous post work?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 12:24:34 PM by colonieweather »
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
WeatherLink v6.0.5
colonieweatheronline.com
APRS/CWOP - EW0288

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2022, 12:16:01 PM »
That USB adapter seems like it would be a four connection unit.  That may be problematic.  I'd recommend something like this.  Simple microphone input.  Should act like your previous headphone jack.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3UWATBAC4QKSO&keywords=usb+adapter+audio&qid=1671729254&sr=8-3
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline colonieweather

• Contributor
    • Colonie Weather Online
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2022, 12:25:48 PM »
That USB adapter seems like it would be a four connection unit.  That may be problematic.  I'd recommend something like this.  Simple microphone input.  Should act like your previous headphone jack.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3UWATBAC4QKSO&keywords=usb+adapter+audio&qid=1671729254&sr=8-3

Thank you!  I'll give this one a try.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
WeatherLink v6.0.5
colonieweatheronline.com
APRS/CWOP - EW0288

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2022, 12:27:53 PM »
That 4 pole TRRS cord or plug you posted from Amazon is not a good idea. It is 4 pole and might short out a standard 3 pole jack. Just get a standard Mono or Stereo 1/8" Male to Male cord to plug in at Walmart. If it isn't detected properly go into your Audio setting and specify it is a mic jack if you have to.

I have a deal for you that might solve all this. I have a Plantronics Mic and Speaker Usb dongle that has individual jacks. I will mail it to you for free if you want. I just tested it and it self installed and worked on my Dell Optiplex 7050 with Win10.

Offline colonieweather

• Contributor
    • Colonie Weather Online
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2022, 12:43:48 PM »
That 4 pole TRRS cord or plug you posted from Amazon is not a good idea. It is 4 pole and might short out a standard 3 pole jack. Just get a standard Mono or Stereo 1/8" Male to Male cord to plug in at Walmart. If it isn't detected properly go into your Audio setting and specify it is a mic jack if you have to.

I have a deal for you that might solve all this. I have a Plantronics Mic and Speaker Usb dongle that has individual jacks. I will mail it to you for free if you want. I just tested it and it self installed and worked on my Dell Optiplex 7050 with Win10.

Thanks.  I cancelled that order.  I had been using a standard 3.5mm audio cord that went from earphone on the radio to the pink mic jack on my old windows 10d PC.  Thanks for the offer for the dongle.  I'll take you up on it.  I'll send you a private message. 

Also, how do I specify that it is s a mic jack in settings?   I've been trying and looking, but unsuccessful.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
WeatherLink v6.0.5
colonieweatheronline.com
APRS/CWOP - EW0288

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2022, 01:14:19 PM »
I think this is what you need. The device has to plugged in before you can do any changes...

Select Start > Settings > System > Sound.
    In Input, go to Choose a device for speaking or recording, and select the device you want.
    To test your microphone, speak into it. In Volume, make sure the blue bar moves to make sure Windows hears you.

Hope this helps. Also....you bought it at BB ? I hope the Kiddies didn't force you to buy their Extended Warranty. Waste of money. I am not really welcome at BB because last year I over heard one of the BB Kiddies tell an older couple that they needed a Microsoft login to make Win10 work.....I interrupted (yeah couldn't help myself) and showed how Win10 works just fine without a logon. Later the couple had me come by their house and tune up the computer by turning off all the reporting crap and removing the bloatware that you can't deinstall from the app menu using Powershell. They paid me $200. Then back in the summer I was looking at Laser Printers there and overheard again a BB Kiddie trying to oversell a couple on a new printer. They told him they would think about it and he walked away. I went over and asked what was wrong with their old printer. First they needed to have a fax ability which most AIO's have and second the printer quit printing.....but still made copies. (yeah..what?). I told them it was probably a printer driver problem. Once again I got invited over to a very huge house. Took me about 5 minutes to reinstall the printer drivers and then set it up to print from their laptop wirelessly. Saved them from blowing money on a printer. They paid me $100 in cash. There are a lot of very wealthy people living around Branson that need computer help.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 01:16:37 PM by Garth Bock »

Offline colonieweather

• Contributor
    • Colonie Weather Online
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2022, 01:31:20 PM »
I think this is what you need. The device has to plugged in before you can do any changes...

Select Start > Settings > System > Sound.
    In Input, go to Choose a device for speaking or recording, and select the device you want.
    To test your microphone, speak into it. In Volume, make sure the blue bar moves to make sure Windows hears you.

Hope this helps. Also....you bought it at BB ? I hope the Kiddies didn't force you to buy their Extended Warranty. Waste of money. I am not really welcome at BB because last year I over heard one of the BB Kiddies tell an older couple that they needed a Microsoft login to make Win10 work.....I interrupted (yeah couldn't help myself) and showed how Win10 works just fine without a logon. Later the couple had me come by their house and tune up the computer by turning off all the reporting crap and removing the bloatware that you can't deinstall from the app menu using Powershell. They paid me $200. Then back in the summer I was looking at Laser Printers there and overheard again a BB Kiddie trying to oversell a couple on a new printer. They told him they would think about it and he walked away. I went over and asked what was wrong with their old printer. First they needed to have a fax ability which most AIO's have and second the printer quit printing.....but still made copies. (yeah..what?). I told them it was probably a printer driver problem. Once again I got invited over to a very huge house. Took me about 5 minutes to reinstall the printer drivers and then set it up to print from their laptop wirelessly. Saved them from blowing money on a printer. They paid me $100 in cash. There are a lot of very wealthy people living around Branson that need computer help.

No, no. No extended warranties for me either. Bought it online, picked it up and walked out.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
WeatherLink v6.0.5
colonieweatheronline.com
APRS/CWOP - EW0288

Offline mikev

Re: Windows 11 Mic Input for Wx Radio
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2023, 10:02:18 AM »
If the front jack is a "headset" jack (headset = headphones + mic), there are splitters that can go from separate TRS mic + headphones connections to the single TRRS connector of the headset jack.

Additionally, you might need to have the Waves MaxxAudio Pro (or other Dell audio software as listed on their Downloads page for your computer) installed from Dell. That software will usually prompt when something is plugged into the jack, asking what you connected. It will then adjust settings as needed to accommodate what you connected.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 10:32:21 AM by mikev »