Author Topic: DIY Radiation shield  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Ra1nman

• Senior Contributor
DIY Radiation shield
« on: December 16, 2022, 11:36:33 AM »
Originally posted these elsewhere but it wasn't really on topic, this was built several years ago, can't say how technically great it is but I got carried away at the time!!

Nothing too exciting but might be inspiration for someone else...or maybe not  :grin:

Ecowitt WS90 ׀ GW2000 ׀ WH51 ׀ WH32EP ׀ WH40

Offline Ra1nman

• Senior Contributor
Re: DIY Radiation shield
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 05:14:38 PM »
Was it that bad :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 09:57:53 PM »
Looks great to me and certainly far better than my 1st attempt, boy was that a mess, but then i rush things and try to get it all done in one sitting lol

I did make an insulated tube version with a fan in the top and bottom and that tracked quite well, still going 6 years later :)
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Ra1nman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 07:42:35 AM »
Looks great to me and certainly far better than my 1st attempt, boy was that a mess, but then i rush things and try to get it all done in one sitting lol

I did make an insulated tube version with a fan in the top and bottom and that tracked quite well, still going 6 years later :)

Appreciated, recommissioned this yesterday after many years retirement! now has a WH32EP (SHT35) sensor probe installed, temperatures here don't get really high but hopefully this setup will serve me well.

Will try and get some images at some point, was dark when I finished! enclosure used for WH32EP was a Wiska 1010, shown in image, using a M32 gland. Highly recommended enclosures, been using them for years, IP67.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 07:55:41 AM by Ra1nman »

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 05:18:07 PM »
Basically what I did several years ago with my first LaCrosse station. Had a computer fan with 12v solar panel and a resistor to slow it down. Worked when sun came up till about noon. Then the whole unit was in the shade.

By no means perfect but for the siting I had available it sure took out the wild temperature spikes.

Offline Ra1nman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 04:33:26 AM »
Basically what I did several years ago with my first LaCrosse station. Had a computer fan with 12v solar panel and a resistor to slow it down. Worked when sun came up till about noon. Then the whole unit was in the shade.

By no means perfect but for the siting I had available it sure took out the wild temperature spikes.

Interestingly the first 24 hours showed a big improvement in even small spikes, plot is smooth now and these were both days with very low radiation.