Author Topic: WU embed code?  (Read 1373 times)

Offline rhodesengr

WU embed code?
« on: December 07, 2022, 01:42:12 PM »
I have a station on WU. Here is the link
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IVALLE160

I have a website running Wordpress  (casa-tequila.com) and I would like to ceate a weather page on that site. I could just post the link but I am trying to figure out if WU has embed code that would work better.

I used to manage a station that had a weatherlink account and Davis made it pretty easy to get embed code. I have done some searching but I don't see how to get embed code from WU. Any ideas?

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: WU embed code?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 03:46:56 PM »
Wunderground used to offer weather stickers for your website.. they've discontinued that so it is no longer available.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline rhodesengr

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 04:23:23 PM »
bummer

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 08:03:20 PM »
Perhaps try using an iframe?

Rich K.
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline rhodesengr

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 10:16:44 PM »
Perhaps try using an iframe?

Well that would be great if I knew how. Will WU work in an iframe?  Also, see below. Its not that simple as far as I could tell.

I made some progress since I first posted. I knew from the past that Weatherlink supplied emded code. So I enabled WL in my Wifilogger and then worked to get their emded code to work on my site. It used work simply and easily. Not any longer. My website is in Wordpress and the URL that WL supplies would not work in a standard embed block now or in an HTML block. It is in fact an iframe syntax and there is some problem with that in Wordpress. I eventually got it to work but I had to use an Iframe plugin. You can see the results here:
https://casa-tequila.com/weather/

Even if I used my WU station URL for the source in an Iframe, it would be much too long. I just wanted a simple display of the current data. The Davis embeds do that. I have the full WU feed linked for those that want to see the charts and all. I don't think WU has a simple display like the Davis embed.

I posted on the Wordpress forum asking why the embed URL doesn't work in their embed block but no one has replied.

Offline Apollux

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 06:36:17 AM »
I'm looking to place a public viewable link on a short temp rental property site, so that possible guess could look up past and present conditions and better decide on dates... well, while checking WU terms of usage I found this:

PERMITTED USE. You may use the Site and the features, information, pictures and other data contained therein (collectively, the "Data") only for personal, non-commercial purposes. You may access, view and make copies of the Data in the Site for your personal, non-commercial use and will not publish or otherwise distribute the Data for any other purpose. Without limiting the foregoing, you may not utilize the Site to sell a product or service, to advertise or direct activity to other websites or for similar commercial activities without our express written consent. You may not modify, publish, transmit, display, participate in the transfer or sale, create derivative works, or in any way exploit, any of the Data, in whole or in part. Further restrictions on the use of this Site and its Data are provided in Sections 2, 6 and 9 of these Terms and in the Photo Gallery Agreement (where applicable).

So... all that and the fact they take immediate ownership of the data the moment you send it maybe means WU isn't the best choice for our use case.

Offline jwreynoldson

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2023, 12:10:25 AM »
Just FYI, Weather Underground recently restricted API requests to https only, making designing your own widget a little harder.  I've used the secure API on a ESP32 to retrieve station data and could perhaps post the data on one of the freebie IOT dashboard hosts, which in turn might be able to be imbedded in a WordPress or other hosted page. Worth a look.

Offline rhodesengr

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2023, 11:20:53 AM »
I never heard back from anyone on the Wordpress forum. Since I had previous luck with with the Davis embed code and they still have that available, I activated weatherlink on my station's wifilogger. I still had to use a plugin (iframe) to get the Davis embed code to work. I guess they changed WP at some point so that iframe urls can't simply be put in a block. The result is here for anyone interested

https://casa-tequila.com/weather/

Offline royalflush

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2023, 03:25:42 PM »
Iframe works on Wordpress by default. You don't need to use a plugin or a block to make it work. You probably need to contact the theme developer for that if you're having issues with iframe.

Offline rhodesengr

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2023, 09:29:29 PM »
Iframe works on Wordpress by default.

I think that was true at one time because I had Davis code on a different site a few years ago. I was very frustrated that it didn't work as simply this time. It didn't work for me this time until I got the plugin. If it had worked, I would not have bothered getting the plugin. Have you actually tried it recently?

Offline royalflush

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2023, 03:50:45 PM »
I have an iframe (RainViwer) embed on a regular page. I also tested WL iframe embed & it works by default. Not using any blocks or theme builder plugin, just a simple copy & paste on a regular page.

anything