Author Topic: Fall/Winter 2022  (Read 11886 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Fall/Winter 2022
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2022, 05:43:32 PM »
Wow, very busy map. While just about everyone east of the Rockies will freeze for the Christmas weekend, we'll actually have a ridge over us and our first above average temps in weeks. Stay safe y'all!

https://www.weather.gov/

Offline Jason Helmowski

« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2022, 08:57:21 PM »
Current Windchills

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2022, 02:07:41 AM »
 Passage of Siberian cold front here caused the temp here to plunge from 40 to 20 degrees in an hour early Thursday morning.  From there the temp dropped to .7 degrees before stopping.  It snowed a bit under an inch.  For Friday morning we'll see if it will be able to drop below zero. The wind is still blowing some, so maybe it won't.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2022, 08:51:15 AM »
Most of the country is under some brutal temperature swings overnite and today. Chicago's Chiberia extreme was a drop of about 40° in the past 24 hours.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Continued cold and wind for the next several days. Yikes!
Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2022, 11:33:16 AM »
Even far South in Houston we went from 57.4F @ 1:42pm yesterday, to 15.1F @ 6:50am this morning. A 42.3F drop. But it was the feels like of 3.8F that makes it much worse.
A bit better now with 23F, 12.4F feel like.  Wind is still gusting up to 17mph.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2022, 04:12:22 PM »
I went out to pick up a package this afternoon when our temp had risen to 9°F.  My car had been sitting in my unheated garage for two days so it was quite cold as well.  The snowmelt treatment the city uses has worked, but the streets are wet.  After I pulled back into my garage the errand having been completed, I tried to use the windshield washer to clean the front and rear windows.  It was a no-go!  The washer fluid has apparently frozen solid.  Now that's cold!
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #106 on: December 25, 2022, 04:02:12 PM »
40 degree difference for the fropa here. High of 66 on Friday and a low of 26 on Saturday morning.
What impressed me most was the dewpoint. It got to 12 here with single digits just to my north. That's unheard of around here. Still around 15 as of this writing.
By next weekend our temps are back into the low 80's.
Guess La Nina took a break this weekend.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2023, 09:35:49 AM »
had about 5 inches of snow yesterday

working on another 5 now.

Virtual school day today.

Not working on the driveway until it quits snowing.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2023, 09:57:16 AM »
had about 5 inches of snow yesterday

working on another 5 now.

Virtual school day today.

Not working on the driveway until it quits snowing.

We got 13" out of it. It settles fast down to about 11"  https://www.valentinenebraska.net/snowcam.jpg
This winter has been something else. 36.8" already. 
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2023, 11:21:04 AM »
Drought continues. Only .18" and none of it snow.

I was afraid of that, not everyone's getting hit. North Platte where the forecast office is located 130 miles south got  5.9".  They reported 15" at our airport I only measured 13" though. 
Randy

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2023, 01:58:43 PM »
If my memory is correct, the NWS seasonal had forecast a better chance for wetter and colder weather for your area the N Plains.  It is going to take a major weather pattern change for us to break out of this drought. I am a big believer in the power of El Nino and La Nina to affect our weather here.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2023, 02:53:05 AM »
Good grief!  It's only Jan. 6, and 5 tornadoes for Oklahoma sets a record for the most tornadoes ever in the month of January.  One of them was only two counties away from me!  January for the next 7 days doesn't look very stormy with no unusually cold days.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2023, 03:25:41 AM »
If my memory is correct, the NWS seasonal had forecast a better chance for wetter and colder weather for your area the N Plains.  It is going to take a major weather pattern change for us to break out of this drought. I am a big believer in the power of El Nino and La Nina to affect our weather here.

Think you are right. I'm loving the deep snowpack reminds me of my mountain home. This is actually my birthplace and I decided to retire here because it was so much like the mountains I loved. Ponderosa pines and blue spruce grow naturally along the rivers around here.
Randy

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2023, 02:47:58 AM »
A warm January, so far, in Oklahoma City probably reflects that much of the country has been warm in early 2023.  With nothing record setting, during the first 11 days of January, Oklahoma City has had above average highs every day.  There will be cold fronts during the next ten days, but nothing unusually cold.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2023, 08:54:43 AM »
Ended up getting another 8" yesterday. I'm rethinking this snow thing mainly because the roads are always bad and inside the garage is always wet. Some areas SE picked up a couple of feet yesterday. North Platte set an all-time daily snowfall mark (13.9") which dates back to March of 1894. Here in Northern Nebraska sitting at 45" total so far and this isn't our snowiest period which comes in late February and March. What a way to break the drought we were in.
Welp time to fire up the snow blower again.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 08:56:29 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2023, 09:00:18 AM »
I was on the southern fringe of the snowfall.  If the 0.71" of rain/freezing rain had been snow, the total would have been impressive.  As it is we received just a dusting of snow atop the sleet and freezing rain.

The Weather Channel camped out in Omaha and were disappointed that the snowfall there was so meager.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2023, 09:38:06 AM »
 :lol: derives them right. Ended up with (.75") moisture here with the 8" of snow. Spoke with one of the North Platte forecasters this morning he's been there for 21 years and said he's never seen a winter like this. By that he meant heavy snow in December and January. We've had spring blizzards in the 14" range even since I've been here but those spring blizzards are gone the same week. Different when it's mid-winter and it sticks around.
Randy

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2023, 10:52:39 AM »
I was on the southern fringe of the snowfall.  If the 0.71" of rain/freezing rain had been snow, the total would have been impressive.  As it is we received just a dusting of snow atop the sleet and freezing rain.

The Weather Channel camped out in Omaha and were disappointed that the snowfall there was so meager.

Like you, we were on the southern edge here in northern KS. Sharp drop off in snow amounts north to south. I measured core on snowboard at .73" water equivalent and CoCoRaHS gauge catch was .64". We had some freezing rain, lots of sleet, and snow over 24 hrs. Snow depth 3" on top of about 1/2" of ice/sleet.

I was very surprised at the liquid equivalent based on what was on the snow board. Cannot explain why it is so much. 3.5" to .73" water is a heck of a ratio, isn't it? No nearby stations I can check amounts with either.

We welcome the moisture. Very dry here in last year.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2023, 12:49:51 PM »

Like you, we were on the southern edge here in northern KS. Sharp drop off in snow amounts north to south. I measured core on snowboard at .73" water equivalent and CoCoRaHS gauge catch was .64". We had some freezing rain, lots of sleet, and snow over 24 hrs. Snow depth 3" on top of about 1/2" of ice/sleet.

I was very surprised at the liquid equivalent based on what was on the snow board. Cannot explain why it is so much. 3.5" to .73" water is a heck of a ratio, isn't it? No nearby stations I can check amounts with either.

We welcome the moisture. Very dry here in last year.

Truthfully that's why I stopped doing cores was some of the ridiculous high readings I would occasionally get.
I don't even own a Cocorahs gauge anymore, gave all mine away. For snowfall they just don't work like an 8" diameter gauge. I have 2 cans in the 8" size so just switch them out. The reason I do that during an all-day storm is to update the website. The heating tipping bucket gets way behind if the temps are under say about 25° which it usually is here.
Randy

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2023, 09:14:56 PM »
?????
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2023, 07:16:23 PM »
Guess what. It is cold.

But NBC is acting like it is the next ice age.

"Generational cold"  Lord god almighty-talk about inflation of the news.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #122 on: February 05, 2023, 01:35:26 AM »
First definitive ridge in three months. Bout time.  :roll:  Should push 80F fairly easily, albeit short-lived.

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=regional-southwest-09-24-1-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #123 on: February 05, 2023, 09:39:20 AM »
Quite a whiplash taking the dog out first thing in the morning last two days. Saturday: -10°F and windy. Sunday: 25°F and calm. As the saying goes in so many places, including New England, if you don't like the weather, just wait a few hours.
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2023, 05:57:59 PM »
Mid 20F's progged for Wed. morning, which if comes to fruition, would be the coldest temps of the year. Spent practically the entire season with below average temps. Don't know about you guys, but I'm ready for winter to take a hike.  :roll:

anything