Author Topic: Tornadic Debris; distance and height question  (Read 1070 times)

Offline GaleSorcerer

Tornadic Debris; distance and height question
« on: December 16, 2021, 03:58:02 AM »
Hi all,

I have a real passion for severe weather, especially tornadoes. I'm eager to try and learn more about these storms and was wondering if anyone could provide some insight for me.

It never ceases to amaze me that personal objects can be lofted into these maelstroms and never be seen again.

It's been reported that jackets have been swept up by these powerful winds and transported many miles downwind but realistically how far and high could something like a jacket travel in a tornado and / or the supercell?

Would a lightweight waterproof jacket travel further and higher than say a heavier coat?

Also, I've read reports that some debris can be blown right up to the anvil of a supercell, and, in some cases, ejected up and out the top of the storm. Coming back to a jacket, would this occur or is the debris being talked about something lighter like leaves or paper?

Finally, if a jacket were to reach these astonishing altitudes and meet a powerful jet-stream there, how far could it be blown? In these horizontal winds would a jacket be blown sideways while slowing falling back to earth or would it continue to be blown until the winds weaken?

I have read a few articles online regarding this but they seem to be few and far between and, at times, contradictory.

Kind regards
Jason

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: Tornadic Debris; distance and height question
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 09:48:47 AM »
Come to the us. visit, Iowa, Illinois, Kentucky and get your belly full of your passion. See real lives gone, everything they had blown away, maybe you can go with storm chases and actually see a tornado,  stand outside the vehicle and embrace all that stuff you seem to relish.

for those of us who have to deal with that daily, oh well

anything