Author Topic: Taylor Weatherscope 3108C wiring  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Deacon1969

Taylor Weatherscope 3108C wiring
« on: March 26, 2017, 07:21:28 PM »
Hello all,
    Well I just came home from a Ham Radio Swap Meet.  And I brought home a Taylor Weatherscope 3108C as best as I can tell.
This is based on pictures I have found on the internet.  I have no manual of course but this unit appears to be complete.
I was told it once was installed at a fire station, but I don't know if that is true or not.
Well people here is my problem   There is a 5 wire ribbon cable coming of of the panel display. The anemometer and wind direction have a total of 7 wires.
Not sure how this unit hooks up.  Does anyone have a wiring diagram or pictures or something that will give me a clue one as how to hook this up.  oh the temperature probe is intact so
this should be a functional unit.  I did find the battery pack under the name plate, and I changed the battery.

Thanks in advance
Deacon

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Taylor Weatherscope 3108C wiring
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 04:05:25 AM »
Hi Deacon. I do not own this station so no help there, sorry. I have Googled for hours for information on this and there's not much out there. If nobody chimes in with an answer to get you going I do have some thoughts that may help. Things like some pictures, disassembling the wind sensors to trace out the 7 wires to identify the cable leads. Measuring the wind cup output with a meter to see if it produces power. With things like this known we may be able to piece it all together but hopefully someone on here has one and helps out.  ;)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 08:00:34 AM »
I may have a manual to check, but it will be a day or less before I could get to it.

Please rattle my cage with a Personal Message if you don't see something here by Monday night. 
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 09:49:30 PM »
I have a 3105 in a box, but no manual, and another type of box and a little different display, but says 3105 on outside, too.

The ability to do pictures back then seems limited, but there is a description on page three. A nice photo with positions listed would be less confusing.

Remember that the output of the anemometer is an AC voltage, so you can measure that if you can't figure this out otherwise.  And the battery sends a voltage (which you calibrate with the potentiometer as explained) to get full scale reading. As the battery ages you recalibrate.

I know one that my brother had on his farm back in mid 1960s had a multicolored ribbon cable and the one I have is a gray cable with no easy to identify markings.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 09:51:26 PM »
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 09:51:52 PM »
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline tfurgeson

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2023, 07:07:18 PM »
I have been searching for this wiring diagram for the past 2 years as I moved into a house and have been determined to get this working.  If I'm reading this correctly, the lineup from top to bottom is:

1 - Copper
2 - Tin
3 - Copper
4 - Copper
5 - Tin

Now of course we have zero wind as I'm trying to test this out... but that is extremely rare in these parts.  Many thanks for posting these images, I didn't realize I couldn't see them until I was registered and logged in.  =D>

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2023, 07:53:37 PM »
Considering the age of these units, there is a great possibility of a broken wire in the 5 conductor (rotator type ) cable, or even a bad coil up in the unit.

PLEASE, my curiosity is killing me so let us know how things turn out. I assume the sensor is not easily accessable where someone can spin it and rotate the direction vane.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline tfurgeson

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2023, 08:29:12 PM »
My fumbling around on the roof in the dark would not surprise my neighbors or my wife... but I think I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to do some testing. 

I'll absolutely keep you posted and attach some pics if I have success or failure.

Offline tfurgeson

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2023, 08:28:34 AM »
Happy to report I appear to have wind speed, but the direction is still flakey... we have a big storm coming in the next 24 to 48... so much tweaking and testing to do.  Keep you posted.

Offline tfurgeson

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2023, 03:18:25 PM »
***Update****

Ignore the marking (someone previously did that) and color coding the wires are only for me to keep them straight.

See attached... the wind is indeed around 8 MPH right now.  I'm not a rocket surgeon... but is there any way with a multimeter to see what is occurring with the other three wires? (bottom three, in theory, COPPER, COPPER and TIN)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 05:29:29 PM by tfurgeson »

anything