Author Topic: Looking to buy an Atlas system  (Read 1532 times)

Offline hypoxic

Looking to buy an Atlas system
« on: May 15, 2021, 07:45:10 AM »
Hello Everyone,
I’m looking to replace my 5 in 1 sensor setup for a new Atlas. Just wondering if the display screen freezing issue has be fixed? Is there a firmware version that I should check?
Thanks

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: Looking to buy an Atlas system
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 09:49:35 AM »
Not sure if the display problem has been fixed, but I haven't seen people post anything about their dead Atlas HD display lately.

I've had two Atlas HD displays (Model 06061M) replaced under warranty and both are still working. Not sure which firmware versions they were (maybe version v.04o).

Replacement Dates:
05/04/2019
06/04/2019

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline hypoxic

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 05:37:17 PM »
Not sure if the display problem has been fixed, but I haven't seen people post anything about their dead Atlas HD display lately.

I've had two Atlas HD displays (Model 06061M) replaced under warranty and both are still working. Not sure which firmware versions they were (maybe version v.04o).

Replacement Dates:
05/04/2019
06/04/2019

Thanks! I bought an Atlas system and the display version is .04r. So far so good.

Offline Will_Astle

• WV Eastern Panhandle Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 10:33:17 PM »
Hello Everyone,
I’m looking to replace my 5 in 1 sensor setup for a new Atlas. Just wondering if the display screen freezing issue has be fixed? Is there a firmware version that I should check?
Thanks

I just got my new Atlas up and running today. No problem with the HD display.

Offline NHSA

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 01:13:21 PM »
Hi,

I set up an Atlas a week ago and HD Display has been working troublefree.

Offline NHSA

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 01:17:15 PM »
Hi,

I set up an Atlas on May 11th and HD Display has been working troublefree.

Offline aspexin91

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 05:18:33 PM »
We've had our Atlas system since 2019 and it has worked tirelessly both in Central Indianapolis and now in Central Illinois. We only just bought the HD display which I'm sorry I didn't get sooner. It is loaded with a lot of info. And can alert on high wind speeds.

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 01:42:42 AM »
Go for the Ambient ws2000, better display, can add extra sensors. The atlas is hugh, so more likely to get battered around in high winds. The WZ2000 has a much smaller, lower footprint

Offline aspexin91

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2021, 10:09:40 AM »
I don't know about any high wind issues with our Atlas. The nice thing about the Atlas is we have the wind extension which lets me place the wind sensors up much higher than the Atlas. It is recommended to have the wind sensors at least 30' AGL. See https://photos.app.goo.gl/86sGRnE13FS3h3Rf9 the top of the tower is at 10'.

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 02:43:57 PM »
Unless your a professional, at 30 feet does not matter. Have heard a lot of problems with the Atlas searching on here, bug ridden, freezing displays. If you could go even one better. Go for the WS5000, the ultra sonic wind sensor and comes with speprate rain gauge, so can put wind up higher if you want. Also no moving parts in wind sensor, so no bearings to fail.

Ambient stations constantly rate higher than Acurite, and that lcd screen on the Ambient shows more data onscreen and better. Also connects to internet, and think offhand the Atlas does not, need a sperate wifi sender? Also if you got ws5000 can add more sensor and don't need a wind extension to buy as mount the wind gauge up high and place rain bucket down low as it meant to be to get more accurate rain. Also can get a lighting detector if you wish.

Inside temp not built into screen is a sperate sensor for more accurate inside temps.

You can have up to 8 of these sensors to view different temps inside the house or elsewhere.

The Atlas being big have read the odd posts here and elsewhere, being big can shake the pole and give false readings. Not so with the ws2000 or 5000.

I would if I were you go for the ws5000, and can mount it high for wind and place rain gauge at a low hight.

The WS5000 is the far more expandable system. Can add soil sensors, extra temp sensors, pool sensors, can use IFFT to set up routines, use voice assistance. And expandability is better than the Altas

Offline aspexin91

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2021, 04:17:15 PM »
Well, I'm no professional but I am an amateur radio operator so wind speed is something I like to keep an eye on. There is a big difference between near ground wind speeds and 30' up where my antennas live in the 30-60' height range. And the lightning detector on the Atlas is spot on. It was a separate add on but only about $15 IIRC and worth every penny.

We got our Atlas in May of 2019 and it has been working no problems. I get it has bearings but those are easy enough to clean off. Or if I'm lazy just buy another wind sensor extension for $30 and swap it out. I've heard a lot of complaints of the ultrasonic wind sensors (not just Ambient but also Tempest) in amateur radio forums. Sometimes mechanicals are just a more reliable option.

We haven't had an HD screen until recently. We've been using an Android tablet to watch the data in the android app (which I personally prefer over the HD screen we just got). But the HD screen can sit on its own in the ensuite bathroom and I don't have to worry about periodic Android updates when I'm out of town on business. Our Atlas sends out data just fine to wunderground. It has the base station, yes. It uses the 433Mhz frequency which is probably a lot less crowded than the Wifi spectrum so definitely little to no interference between the Atlas and the base. Also seen reviews about Ambients unable to connect the the house WiFi. I don't need soil or pool sensors as the grass grows and there is no pool here.

I don't need IFFT as I have no routines to execute based on weather. I manually have to disconnect my radios and the SMS and email alerts when lightning is around are enough for me. Even with all the lightning protection on the tower and the antenna feed points into the house I'm still old school that way and disconnect everything when lightning is near. Just an old habit I started developing when I was licensed in 1976. I was dirt poor back then and could not risk lightning destroying my equipment that I had to build out myself.

And it seems you can't get the ws-5000 today even from Ambient. https://ambientweather.com/amws5000.html

Offline aspexin91

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2021, 05:36:59 PM »
I'm not the one looking for a new unit. I have an Atlas and it works just fine.