Author Topic: Anemometer Questions  (Read 502 times)

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
Anemometer Questions
« on: August 26, 2019, 04:26:30 PM »
I am attempting to resurrect an anemometer which had stopped working in situ, but which I thought had only done so because a bird or squirrel had severed the wire (the wire was, indeed, severed when it was taken down). Initial testing suggested, however, that, although the direction potentiometer and the wiring to/from it seem to be intact, the anemometer output was not 'pulsing' when the anemometer vanes were rotated. This is the newer 'wasp waist' anemometer, so the sensor is presumably a Hall effect device, and I initially thought that it might need to be powered (via the yellow and red wires) to pulse properly, but after applying 5V DC (which I believe is correct) across these I still see no change in the state of the black wire at any position of the rotor. If it is otherwise disconnected, it sits at just below the V+ voltage. Is there anything that I am missing?

Thinking that I might have a 'real' rotation sensor problem, and thinking that a replacement cartridge might fix this, I had ordered one, but after taking the old one off, I see that while it includes what I take to be the magnet for the Hall effect sensor, it does not include the Hall effect device, itself (the cartridge is not electrically connected to the anemometer cable in any way). Except in the extremely unlikely event that the magnet in the old cartridge has become demagnetized, the replacement will presumably not help me (or anyone else with an electronic failure of this component), and it would have been good to know that!

Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
Re: Anemometer Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 04:37:36 PM »
An update: it looks as if I was correct about the anemometer needing to be powered for the wind sensor to pulse but it appears that the pulse produced when the Hall effect sensor is activated is very short. It is actually impossible to position the rotor so that you can see a closed circuit, as you presumably can with the reed switch design (which is why I thought that the sensor had failed), but if you connect up a LED so that the sense wire completes a circuit to ground for it, you can see it flash once for each rotation of the rotor. This may represent deliberate design to avoid a battery drain if the rotor happened to stop with the magnet opposite the sensor.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

anything