Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109658 times)

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Re: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi
« Reply #450 on: August 26, 2018, 01:38:14 PM »
I tried the wireless console firmware update and it worked great.  The Davis direct firmware update software was able to find the console by tcpip and the IP address.  The whole upgrade process took about 15 minutes.

No way. WeatherLink is finding WFL normally, but Davis firmware software do not want to do this. I don't know why, maybe MAC address is wrong. WL IP has pool of addresses.
I always need to write IP address manually.
Please use AUTO PAUSE option to update console, this is the safest way.
When something will go wrong, there is no problem. Console will not turn on, but there is always possibility to start from beginning. This operation is fully safe.
After correct console update, console will start to working again.

How are the plans after Brexit?
This means vat and customs fee to other countries in Europe.

There is no problem at this moment, so there is no plan to solve it.
I believe that UK will be like Norway and Switzerland. These countries have appropriate international agreements.
If not, problem will be solved when it will be occurred

Apply Occam's Razor:  FTP or HTTP

I have started with Realtime.txt, which will have same format like Cumulus has.
Not all fields will be populated, because Cumulus is making own statistics. WHL is not.

Realtime.txt via FTP will be first, but I will prepare other exports.

Problem is, I want to export all console data. Common interfaces are very nice, like this Cumulus onem there is a many tempates to read it, but these won't export extra temp, extra hum, soil moisture & temp, leaf etc. HiLow data ....

Offline Lars_Olsson

« Reply #451 on: August 26, 2018, 02:01:23 PM »
Ok. Thanks.

Offline Lars_Olsson

« Reply #452 on: August 26, 2018, 02:30:02 PM »
Question.
It says everywhere that it should be version 1.90 for it to work, but I have 4.33 in my Vantage Vue. Or is there different t ways of finding version? HW-ver and SW-ver?
I pressed Done and +.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #453 on: August 26, 2018, 03:00:40 PM »
Question.
It says everywhere that it should be version 1.90 for it to work, but I have 4.33 in my Vantage Vue. Or is there different t ways of finding version? HW-ver and SW-ver?
I pressed Done and +.

In VUE TEMP+HUM ---- DONE to exit.

1.90 is for Vantage PRO2. From version 1.90 there is a second batch of data. Before 1.90 there was only LOOP command to read 99 bytes frame with current data.
After 1.90 there is another command LPS which gives another 99 bytes of current data.
WFL takes this additional data and export it.
WU, PWS needs does data, example dew point.

There is no any problem to update your console to the newest 3.80(Vantege PRO2), or Vue to (4.33). After update you have better working console.

There is many people who thinks that when they update VP2 they will change it to become GREEN DOT sensitive, but that won't happen.

Summary:
Vue is always ok to use with WFL.
Old VP2(before 2006) when you update it to 1.90.
Newer VP2 when you update it to 1.90 or higher.

Offline Lars_Olsson

« Reply #454 on: August 26, 2018, 05:22:48 PM »
Thanks!

Offline stefano90

« Reply #455 on: August 27, 2018, 03:53:25 AM »
I tried the wireless console firmware update and it worked great.  The Davis direct firmware update software was able to find the console by tcpip and the IP address.  The whole upgrade process took about 15 minutes.

No way. WeatherLink is finding WFL normally, but Davis firmware software do not want to do this. I don't know why, maybe MAC address is wrong. WL IP has pool of addresses.
I always need to write IP address manually.
Please use AUTO PAUSE option to update console, this is the safest way.
When something will go wrong, there is no problem. Console will not turn on, but there is always possibility to start from beginning. This operation is fully safe.
After correct console update, console will start to working again.

How are the plans after Brexit?
This means vat and customs fee to other countries in Europe.

There is no problem at this moment, so there is no plan to solve it.
I believe that UK will be like Norway and Switzerland. These countries have appropriate international agreements.
If not, problem will be solved when it will be occurred

Apply Occam's Razor:  FTP or HTTP

I have started with Realtime.txt, which will have same format like Cumulus has.
Not all fields will be populated, because Cumulus is making own statistics. WHL is not.

Realtime.txt via FTP will be first, but I will prepare other exports.

Problem is, I want to export all console data. Common interfaces are very nice, like this Cumulus onem there is a many tempates to read it, but these won't export extra temp, extra hum, soil moisture & temp, leaf etc. HiLow data ....
Hello, you're right, usually files of common Weather softwares doesn't include all parameters available in Davis' Console. Maybe you can create an XML file like Weatherlink.com API, otherwise a new file with your standard wich contain alla available values (include leaf wetness, soil parameters, extra temp, ecc...)

I think the best result is to have all the values available.

Offline anubis81

« Reply #456 on: August 29, 2018, 03:05:58 PM »
Hi there. Do you have a rough timeline on MQTT support? I'm hoping to use this to log data in InfluxDB and MQTT support would make that extremely easy.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #457 on: August 29, 2018, 03:24:10 PM »
Hi there. Do you have a rough timeline on MQTT support? I'm hoping to use this to log data in InfluxDB and MQTT support would make that extremely easy.

I think I will make it in 2-3 weeks. You can have not tested firmware before that.
Problem is still I don't have data format to share.
I have almost made Realtime.txt in Cumulus format.
I really would like to use existing format, but there is no such thing to export all VP2 data. To send is real time data and Hilows.

I am thinking on JSON format, but it won't be "OutsideTemp":20.1, it will be like "OT":20.1. I will provide XLS with data meaning.

In first step I will send this data via FTP as a JSON file.
Second step is MQTT.
But this operation is for real time data. Arch. records won't be send via MQTT for a moment. And if it will be avaible, that will be last reading of arch. rec..
Same last reading will be available to send to WU, PWS ... instead of real time data.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #458 on: August 29, 2018, 03:29:58 PM »
Hello, you're right, usually files of common Weather softwares doesn't include all parameters available in Davis' Console. Maybe you can create an XML file like Weatherlink.com API, otherwise a new file with your standard wich contain alla available values (include leaf wetness, soil parameters, extra temp, ecc...)

JSON format is much more appropriate for this system. Unfortunately I am forced to make my own JSON file, otherwise I won't be able to send all data.

Offline Lars_Olsson

« Reply #459 on: August 29, 2018, 05:55:57 PM »

JSON format is much more appropriate for this system. Unfortunately I am forced to make my own JSON file, otherwise I won't be able to send all data.

Doesn't most websites support php. To read an ftped file and populate whatever DB shouldn't be that much work on the site. Or is it?

Offline gbothwell

« Reply #460 on: September 02, 2018, 04:39:21 PM »
After I started using WIFILogger. which is working pretty awesome, I noticed that my weather station is reporting spikes in temp and pressure...  I have noticed that others who are also using WIFILogger are also reporting spikes...

Here is a link to my station data:
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KFLSTPET130

Is this a known issue?  I am using a wireless Davis Vantage Vue… please let me know if there is anything that can be done to resolve.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #461 on: September 02, 2018, 04:59:27 PM »
After I started using WIFILogger. which is working pretty awesome, I noticed that my weather station is reporting spikes in temp and pressure...  I have noticed that others who are also using WIFILogger are also reporting spikes...

Is this a known issue?  I am using a wireless Davis Vantage Vue… please let me know if there is anything that can be done to resolve.

This is not spike. This is data at 6:01 from 9:59. I will check those time functions.
I am trying to make JSON export now. I need to make it as a first.

What time do you have? UTC -4h?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 05:05:29 PM by WiFiLogger »

Offline gbothwell

« Reply #462 on: September 02, 2018, 05:16:05 PM »

This is not spike. This is data at 6:01 from 9:59. I will check those time functions.

GMT -5 , but it is not showing on the network info tab.  Also, just restarted the logger but still no time info showing on that screen.  On the station info screen it is accurate at GMT -5.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #463 on: September 02, 2018, 05:20:09 PM »

GMT -5 , but it is not showing on the network info tab.  Also, just restarted the logger but still no time info showing on that screen.  On the station info screen it is accurate at GMT -5.

I think NTP time was downloaded. Was synchronized with one timer and not with second.
There is two times in WFL. UTC and local console. I think times where mixed for a second.

Offline gbothwell

« Reply #464 on: September 02, 2018, 05:35:51 PM »

I think NTP time was downloaded. Was synchronized with one timer and not with second.
There is two times in WFL. UTC and local console. I think times where mixed for a second.

Thank you, when i look back at my station history I see this happening once or twice daily.  Is there some setting I can make in wifilogger to adjust this?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #465 on: September 02, 2018, 05:47:22 PM »
Thank you, when i look back at my station history I see this happening once or twice daily.  Is there some setting I can make in wifilogger to adjust this?

Navigate to SETUP|WiFi SETUP and change NTP interval to 0. Save.
This will disable NTP. I think there is a problem.
Please let us know if it's ok.

Offline gbothwell

« Reply #466 on: September 02, 2018, 05:58:06 PM »

Navigate to SETUP|WiFi SETUP and change NTP interval to 0. Save.
This will disable NTP. I think there is a problem.
Please let us know if it's ok.

Ok, I’ll make this change and watch for a few days and report back.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #467 on: September 03, 2018, 01:11:45 PM »
This firmware here http://wifilogger.net/files/WiFiLogger121.zip needs to be tested and it is not finished. From HTML folder only ftpexport.html is needed.
This is my proposition of export of current data.

Let's assume that my WFL has IP 192.168.2.203, you need to know yours IP.
You can have now access to JSON files
http://192.168.2.203/realtime.txt - local + ftp   http://wifilogger.net/Cumulus/realtime.txt
http://192.168.2.203/wflexp.json - local + ftp   http://wifilogger.net/Cumulus/wflexp.json
http://192.168.2.203/loop.json - local -  first part of wflexp.json
http://192.168.2.203/hilow.json - local -  second part of wflexp.json
http://192.168.2.203/settings.json - local

Also you can navigate to SETUP|Archive Export Setup and there you will find new form for FTP current data export.
"Folder path" has to looks like this: /public_html/Cumulus/
or simple: /    or : /myStationFolder/
With this FTP export, two files are exported in one time realtime.txt and wflexp.json

RealTime.txt has Cumulus format, but probably still need some work.
wflexp.json - contains full console data in JSON format. Units are fixed to US. F, inches, mph.

I want to start discussion how this wflexp.json file should looks like in final stage.
When somebody will make template for this file, this file will not be change any more. So we have here maybe a week/two, to make final shape of this file. Then it will be fixed.

If you have problem go to
http://192.168.2.203/debug
check what is going wrong. Text printed will be change in future to be more "human".

Offline Lars_Olsson

« Reply #468 on: September 03, 2018, 01:34:29 PM »
I've certainly changed my mind!
A wifilogger is ordered. :-)

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #469 on: September 03, 2018, 02:30:50 PM »
Hi Wojtek,I am on v1.19.  Should I update to v1.20 before going to v1.21?
Paul

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #470 on: September 03, 2018, 05:58:27 PM »
Hi Wojtek,I am on v1.19.  Should I update to v1.20 before going to v1.21?
Paul

No. There is not such thing. Only sometimes you have to upload more HTML files.
Now is only ftpexport.html changed and as I remember ther where no HTML between 1.19 and 1.20

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #471 on: September 03, 2018, 08:24:25 PM »
I have updated to v1.21 .bin and ftpexport.html
I can see each of the 5 files at 192.168.0.25/realtime.txt etc...

In the new FTP current data export settings I have set at 1 min interval and realtime.txt www.komokaweather.com/wifi-console/realtime.txt and wflexp.json www.komokaweather.com/wifi-console/wflexp.json are being FTP every minute. 

I already had the FTP archive export set as enabled and this had been FTP the logger data every 5 minutes and now having both FTP archive export and FTP current data resulted in the FTP current data files FTP to be delayed from about 2 to 3 minutes.  So have disabled FTP archive export for now.

I want to start discussion how this wflexp.json file should looks like in final stage.
When somebody will make template for this file, this file will not be change any more. So we have here maybe a week/two, to make final shape of this file. Then it will be fixed.
Sorry, can't give any comments or suggestion on this at the moment as making a new script or template is beyond me.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #472 on: September 03, 2018, 09:01:47 PM »
I have my test http://www.komokaweather.com/pws-new-20180903/ successfully using www.komokaweather.com/wifi-console/realtime.txt

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Negu

« Reply #473 on: September 04, 2018, 04:36:45 AM »
Hi all, this question may have been answered but I can´t find it: is this logger compatible with weathercloud network?

Offline flyingdutchwx

« Reply #474 on: September 04, 2018, 08:34:15 AM »
Good morning Paul

I gotta say that your webpage setup is excellent........would love to do something similar myself!

Cheers Paul @flyingdutchwx (London Northeast)

I have my test http://www.komokaweather.com/pws-new-20180903/ successfully using www.komokaweather.com/wifi-console/realtime.txt

Enjoy,
Paul