Author Topic: The beginnings of a rain lab  (Read 1431 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
The beginnings of a rain lab
« on: November 16, 2016, 02:51:45 PM »
Rain is forecast for the weekend here, so i put up a rain gauge shelf so I can do some testing.

There is a Rainwise, standalone Davis, and Texas Electronics on the shelf, and a Stratus, 3 RG11s, and VP2 Plus ISS on the post.

I still need to run cable and do programming, and figure out where to put the 8" Standard Gauge.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 02:58:55 PM by SLOweather »

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
Re: The beginnings of a rain lab
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 08:02:06 PM »
I realize this post was quite a while ago but, I've been thinking of trying something similar. Do you have any findings to report from your rain lab?
Kevin Mahler
Skywarn Storm Spotter, AKQ3785
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 03:54:45 PM »
I realize this post was quite a while ago but, I've been thinking of trying something similar. Do you have any findings to report from your rain lab?

I suppose the main one is that I need to spend some time calibrating the tipping bucket gauges before I compare them any more. To that end, I've accumulated the equipment to build an automated calibrator (peristaltic chemical feed pump, calibration column, industrial controller, etc), and formulated a program to do the calibration runs.

I got a little wrapped up in using 2 of the Hydreon RG11s to estimate raindrop size, and also in elder care.

Lately, I've been measuring micro-local variations in rainfall with a Stratus gauge and 2 4" PVC Stratus clones, all within a foot or so of each other.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 08:16:35 PM »
One thing about using a programmable controller of some sort... You can track and log tips, time them, and then sort them in to one side or the other to make adjustments more accurate.