Author Topic: Under the magnifying glass ??  (Read 680 times)

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
Under the magnifying glass ??
« on: February 28, 2019, 08:59:14 AM »
the beteljuice is experimenting with IP look-up, geolocation etc. etc.

It has boughtup a regular one-shot visitor that has a dynamic IP and cookies barred, it also passes a bot / spider check.

The culprit ? ........

... M$  :shock:

I didn't think I was that interesting .....  \:D/
Imagine what you will KNOW tomorrow !

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: Under the magnifying glass ??
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 12:34:35 PM »
Microsoft's various networks are the source of half the firewall logs at work.  The company spends less on qualified abuse report handling than they do for toilet paper, and all the bad guys know where to go for "bullet-proof" hosting.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 12:40:31 PM »
Some of my logs are from various Microsoft networks(I allow their bingbot to index my site), but over half of mine come from Amazon's cloud, which I have completely blocked. A lot of the traffic from Microsoft can be most likely attributed to the lovely OS Windows 10 with its "telemetry" data.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline graculus

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 01:55:53 PM »
I don't know if it's still true, but there used to be a whole bunch of 'bots faking Microsoft owned IP addresses.

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 02:10:01 PM »
Some of my logs are from various Microsoft networks(I allow their bingbot to index my site), but over half of mine come from Amazon's cloud, which I have completely blocked. A lot of the traffic from Microsoft can be most likely attributed to the lovely OS Windows 10 with its "telemetry" data.

If you really poke around Windoz10 you can turn off almost all of that MS surveillance BS. But most people just let it run wild out of the box.
Between MS, Google, lots of others, and hordes of various domestic and foreign governments 'analyzing' the beejabbers outta us all, it's a wonder that the 'toobs still work.

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 08:41:05 PM »
I don't know if it's still true, but there used to be a whole bunch of 'bots faking Microsoft owned IP addresses.
T'would seem that is the case, now spoofing IP and ID.
Latest claim to be "DataWeb Global" who are Dutch and don't have any IP in the US
Imagine what you will KNOW tomorrow !