Author Topic: Gold Stars are Back!!!  (Read 4204 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Gold Stars are Back!!!
« on: November 09, 2018, 04:11:56 PM »
I've never had a Gold Star since I first connected to WU this past August 2018. I've just noticed today that I have a Gold Star. I've looked at some other nearby new stations that never had one before and they now have Gold Stars.

I hope that the return of the Gold Star indicates that it will start working better than before...as it seems the whole Gold Star was a joke before from what I've read.

Upon hovering over the Gold Star it still says the same thing it has always said for those that had it:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I am finding that some stations whose data is definitely not worthy do not have Gold Stars. So they aren't passing them around like candy to everyone. So that is somewhat reassuring... lets hope.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 05:00:17 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Gold Stars are Back!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 05:44:07 PM »
 :lol: I know you think I'm your proverbial "turd in the punch bowl", but I just looked and I've lost my star :roll: which I've had from day one but the POS down the street that constantly has 30-40F too high of a dew point still has his.
They may 'try' to get this right, but I highly doubt ever will, just too many PWS's and too much data to analyze properly.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 06:03:37 PM »
 :???:  Ive always had it neve lost it..
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 06:54:25 PM »
I’ve always had mine until recently. Now I don’t anymore, but I still have the same data flow and spot on data accuracy from my Davis VP2 w/24 hr FARS, which I check for proper calibration on a regular basis. I know my data is high quality, so I’m not going to fret over recently losing my ‘gold star status’!  :lol:

In fact, a station just 1,000ft down the road from me regularly reports temps as much as 15F too high, but they currently are considered a ‘Gold Star Station’  :roll:
  - Matt
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 06:56:52 PM by MonumentHillWeather »
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 07:28:24 PM »
Interesting. I've had one on both stations for over a year...until now....   :lol:
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 08:09:27 PM »
:lol: I know you think I'm your proverbial "turd in the punch bowl", but I just looked and I've lost my star :roll: which I've had from day one but the POS down the street that constantly has 30-40F too high of a dew point still has his.
They may 'try' to get this right, but I highly doubt ever will, just too many PWS's and too much data to analyze properly.

I totally do not think that of you. We've had good dialog and I think we both disagree at times but in the end I think we both respect each other and accept each other's views. At least that is how I see it from my end.

Now just playing devil's advocate here (not being a jerk) but do you think that if you were to start reporting SLP instead of Altimeter, that you might gain your Gold Star back?  What is the difference between your SLP and Altimeter?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 08:18:59 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 08:20:42 PM »
My station had one until today.  CWOP quality check looks good.   MADIS looks good.  I think there is still work to be done, at minimum communication to station owners of the specifics of current pass/fail.
MADIS:
WS-1400-IP, Galaxy S3 for cloud cam and Web Server
QV Website | Source Code | WU | WC | PWS | MesoWest/CWOP

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 09:05:00 PM »
Now just playing devil's advocate here (not being a jerk) but do you think that if you were to start reporting SLP instead of Altimeter, that you might gain your Gold Star back?
8-)

As far as MSLP vs ALT getting my star back? Complete crap shoot as I've been sending the ALT long before the "star" was born. Point being, the star to me is completely meaningless, as is their non-existent QC (although WU say's differently :roll: :roll:) I'll continue to send the ALT because those who truly use it are the sites I care about, WU is an afterthought.

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 11:29:49 PM »
I reckon its just based on consistent uploads, too many breaks and thats the start gone until next check, its also a rolling 5 day i think, i really doubt its based on quality of sensors cause ive lost many when ive lost internet connections and thats frequent here cause i have a dicky router, well, its brand new but from my ISP so i am gonna get a nighthawk soon... ps, its just my opinion :)
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 12:44:45 AM »
What is the difference between your SLP and Altimeter?
Peruse away...
https://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base.cgi?stn=C2274&unit=0&time=LOCAL&product=&year1=2018&month1=2&day1=15&hour1=12&hours=24&graph=0&past=0

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2018, 03:44:11 AM »
Gold Stars are worthless and absolutely pointless.

WU still accept erroneous data and give gold stars. 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IUNITEDK471#comment-3812581177

just look at all the other stations around this one. I ahve raised issues with this site for near a year. WU ignore all correspondence.

Why because they dont know how to fix it.

Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 04:46:04 AM »
What is the difference between your SLP and Altimeter?
Peruse away...
https://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base.cgi?stn=C2274&unit=0&time=LOCAL&product=&year1=2018&month1=2&day1=15&hour1=12&hours=24&graph=0&past=0

Since temperature affects SLP it tracks differently than Altimeter. I wonder if that lack of symmetry is cause. But seeing as others have reported that they have lost stars too it looks like it there probably is no good reason.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IUNITEDK471#comment-3812581177

just look at all the other stations around this one. I ahve raised issues with this site for near a year. WU ignore all correspondence.

That is pretty bad. I guess reporting a bad station has no effect. Seems like from this example and other accounts the Gold Star is not any better than it ever was before.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 12:15:48 PM »
I just turned back on one of my test WU Station IDs that I have not used since October 2nd, so no data there for long time. That is over a month of not reporting to WU with that ID. And instantly my station dashboard was up and working and it had a Gold Star from the get go! The station dashboard with Gold Star and Wundermap marker showed up within 5 minutes of going live. So much for saying that the Gold Star means that the station has passed quality control for 5 consecutive days.

Now maybe it really means that there haven't been any errors in the past 5 days??? That could work right? So then the Gold Star is something everyone starts off with unless bad data causes you to lose it. If that is the case then as I've always recommended anyway because you don't want bad data (especially since you can't delete it), you should calibrate your station before it starts reporting online.

What's going on Weather Underground???? Why are the Gold Stars back and seemingly not really doing anything? How is the new UI coming along? If you are testing some stuff why not let us know what is happening so that we can offer feedback.

A few days ago I noticed that for almost 48 hours the rapid update was seriously delayed no matter which station dashboard I pulled up (I tried different brand hardware stations too). My station for example instead of updating every 16 seconds was more like between every 25 seconds varying up to just over a 1 minute sometimes...and averaging around 48 seconds. Then without doing anything I noticed that the rapid update was back to working on a very timely manner now. It would be nice to have a place to go that shows you the health of your servers and a log of current and past issues with resolution time. Lots of cloud services offer this kind of insight into their infrastructure health. Food for thought hopefully. Thank you for all you do.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 02:59:52 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 12:54:15 PM »

So much for meaning quality...LOL

Randy

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 01:06:00 PM »
Indeed and thus that erroneous data probably goes towards forecasting for this area
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 01:10:07 PM »
I haven't heard anything from wunderground saying the "gold stars" are fixed yet.

It could be we're seeing unstable behavior as they are tinkering. 

I wouldn't be concerned about it until they say they think it is fixed and they want us to test it.

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 01:39:12 PM »
My station's gold star reappeared.  Maybe we are just subjects of a social experiment.  "Let's add and take away some gold stars and see what comments we get" :)

With current performance it could be a gold star is not the right icon to use.  Since it is ambiguous on how/when they are applied maybe the gold star should be replaced with the puppy  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ] .  If a station reaches a minimum level of puppiness then the puppy will appear.  Maybe if it exudes enormous levels of puppiness then the reward is not just a static puppy icon but an animated gif with the puppy wagging its tail -> more puppiness, faster wagging  :lol:

Hopefully they do get this fixed soon.  Data without some QA can be pretty worthless.
WS-1400-IP, Galaxy S3 for cloud cam and Web Server
QV Website | Source Code | WU | WC | PWS | MesoWest/CWOP

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 03:23:20 PM »
As others have so eloquently stated before 'Gold Stars are a joke!' I currently do not have a gold star (not that I care) even though my data is consistent with surrounding stations and I've not missed any data transmission to WU for months. Until WU decides to share their "quality standard" with us, we'll never know if it's their system that's broken or whether we might actually have a metric that needs adjusting.

Offline Tommysmallss

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 08:49:35 PM »
I'm somewhat of a weather newb, I've only been doing it since April.  And I have never gotten a 'gold star' until this week.  They must have changed something, it seemed everyone got one before except me, and now it's the reverse.  I wish they would be more forthcoming on their quality criteria.
Vantage Vue | WeatherlinkIP | Meteobridge

WU:  KDNEWAR69

CWOP: FW2897

NOAA:  F2897

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 09:12:45 PM »
I'm somewhat of a weather newb, I've only been doing it since April.  And I have never gotten a 'gold star' until this week.  They must have changed something, it seemed everyone got one before except me, and now it's the reverse.  I wish they would be more forthcoming on their quality criteria.

There used to be a PowerPoint presentation floating around the internet that explained what they were trying to do.  I can't find it now, though.  I think the author may have left wunderground and the presentation was removed, but maybe someone managed to grab a copy.

Just keep cool and wait.  They've still got a lot of things to fix before they get back up in full glory.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 09:24:54 PM »
I wish they would be more forthcoming on their quality criteria.
Every time I say this, it falls on deaf ears....they won't, because they have none. Complete gimmick.

Jeez, wake up people. :roll:

They've still got a lot of things to fix before they get back up in full glory.
:lol: Never happen, certainly not to the point that's worthy.  Waaay in over their heads.

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 02:35:08 AM »
Personally I do not think there is any reference to quality Control of data, rather just there is data so you get a gold star.

I know the likes of AWEKAS will block incoming data if it is deemed erroneous.

Something WU just does not do.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Regards Simon

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2018, 07:06:00 AM »
I've got two WU station IDs running off the same outdoor sensor (console and Meteobridge). Those two are separate from the test station ID that was inactive for over a month (that was tested with the ObserverIP which I keep turned off from reporting). The two station IDs (console and Meteobridge) have been running side by side without interruption. They both got Gold Stars this past week for the first time. Yesterday at 10:02PM EDT I needed to reboot my router. I was off the Internet for all of 3 minutes as my router changes took effect. I checked my Gold Star status upon getting back online and my Gold Star was gone for my console station ID. But the Meteobridge station ID still has a Gold Star. Same outdoor sensor hardware, same data! I lost the Gold Star because of a 3 minute router reboot?! That is ridiculous. And it all makes even less sense because the Meteobridge with the same data did not lose the Gold Star. This morning my console station ID still has no Gold Star and the Meteobridge station ID does.

So yep Gold Stars may be back but whatever WU is doing with them makes no sense.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:59:30 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2018, 08:05:07 AM »
I know the likes of AWEKAS will block incoming data if it is deemed erroneous.

Something WU just does not do.

I do like how AWEKAS blocks bad data. They do it on a sensor by sensor basis rather than an entire station. I've heard though that some people get upset that they get kicked off potentially erroneously because of bad neighbors and sometimes it is difficult to get back on. Seems that AWEKAS can be a bit hard nosed too.

P. S. Did you know Toxic is the word of the year?
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/word-of-the-year/word-of-the-year-2018
Tele-Pole

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 08:48:51 AM »
I thought one of the WU reps had posted here some of the changes they were making to the quality control process. Or maybe it just was that they were making changes...I can't recall.

Both my stations lost their stars. I'm sure it's something that's being worked on right now on the back end.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut