Author Topic: CWOP is no longer on my ftp list.  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Faceng Ret

• West Melbourne, Florida Weather
CWOP is no longer on my ftp list.
« on: September 27, 2019, 11:19:11 AM »
I have decided to no longer send my data to CWOP after wasting too much time with their errors. For a quality control website they have lots of errors that I am tired of researching. The latest quote on my CWOP page reads "The elevation does not correspond with the estimated elevation (32 metres (105 feet) -- source Geonames) at that point. Either the location or the elevation (or both) are almost certain to be incorrect. Please use the 'send the updated information' link below to update the location or elevation." Between this new error and the previous wind related error, I will now look elsewhere for quality control. I have duplicated my ISS's in a side-by-side configuration and if they don't agree, I will look for a problem. If they are in agreement, I leave everything alone.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: CWOP is no longer on my ftp list.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 12:05:04 PM »
CWOP is having issues with its QC as it relates to wind. They supposedly are working on a fix. The elevation is a different matter. They match the coordinates you furnished when you signed up and compare the elevation via USGS maps, probably, to what you submitted. Me and many others submitted elevation in feet rather than meters. If that is your situation, contact cwop-support@noaa.gov with the proper elevation, in meters.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 12:09:33 PM »
That is not CWOP

Plenty of people use CWOP and ignore and never visit Gladstonefamily.net. That analysis website is a separate thing. Everyone knows that their analysis is not the best.

If you want CWOP station analysis that works then use MesoWest and MADIS Surface Map for other QC analysis.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35089.0

There are many stations that are not even part of CWOP but because they are part of other weather networks that report into MADIS then they show up on Gladstonefamily.net. For example ASOS, AWOS, and several other like WeatherSTEM. My point is that Gladstonefamily.net is not CWOP.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 12:11:59 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 12:53:45 PM »
There is a misunderstanding between the two for sure.
I rarely visit Gladstone but once maybe twice a year. I do use them for station location changes because they have a direct link for those changes.

Agree MesoWest is a good source for looking at your CWOP data.
The CWOP data is useful and fed into the RAP and possibly HRRR model for hourly updates so it does get used. Many times forecasters rely on the RAP model for daily short term forecast especially during weather events so we can thank the CWOP stations for that.
Randy

Offline gwminor48

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 08:40:09 PM »
The mention of cwop, mesowest, and noaa made me look which I haven't done in awhile. I see my station on map of noaa, gladstone, findu, but not mesowest?
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display
Wunderground: KTXRICHA35
CWOP: FW4622
AWEKAS: 15385

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Randy

Offline gwminor48

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 09:53:42 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I do see from the link you gave me that my data is getting there but I still don't see it on the map even with different browsers. I did reinstall Windows and Weather Display a couple of days ago, maybe related because the latitude and longitude on Mesowest don't agree with what I see in WD, noaa. I do notice that registered location on gladstone is wrong but is also what mesowest is showing.
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 10:01:59 AM »
Yes MesoWest uses the Registered location. I see you on the MesoWest map....at the Registered location.

If you look at Gladstonefamily.net you'll notice that there is an 18.5 mile location error. You need to send an email to NOAA (CWOP-support@noaa.gov) to correct this.
https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/F4622

Tele-Pole

Offline Faceng Ret

• West Melbourne, Florida Weather
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 10:55:44 AM »
My confusion of Gladstone with CWOP has been sorted out and I will continue sending my data to CWOP and I have found how to eliminate the emails from Gladstone along with their officious directives. The annoying part is that the latest complaint from them was regarding the elevation and location which is correct and they assure me that I am at 32 metres instead of the stated 7 metres. Anyway, I am done chasing their errors.

Offline gwminor48

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 07:42:49 AM »
Yes MesoWest uses the Registered location. I see you on the MesoWest map....at the Registered location.

If you look at Gladstonefamily.net you'll notice that there is an 18.5 mile location error. You need to send an email to NOAA (CWOP-support@noaa.gov) to correct this.

Thanks, I will send email. Not sure where the "registered location" comes from. I have my original emails I sent to cwop and mesowest and I didn't give them the coordinates they have but that is something you would be familiar with, I'm not.
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2019, 08:04:58 AM »

Thanks, I will send email. Not sure where the "registered location" comes from. I have my original emails I sent to cwop and mesowest and I didn't give them the coordinates they have but that is something you would be familiar with, I'm not.

The way it works is this:

- You fill out the form to join CWOP. They then get your name, email, city, state, zip, and elevation..... No coordinate location is sent in join form.
- You then get your ID and begin sending packets with your software.
- Then you are supposed to check that your location is showing up correctly on FindU. The location on FindU comes from your software configuration that is uploading.
- If your software is working correctly (and location is correct) then you send an email to CWOP-support @ NOAA confirming that everything is correct and that you are ready to complete the registration.

Therefore they got your location from your sent upload packets. If you later change your software to a different location the change in your registration will not reflect this. Only your location on FindU shows the new location automatically. It won't change automatically for MADIS. You have to send an email to indicate that your location (or elevation) has changed.

Therefore if your registered location or elevation needs correcting. Fist make sure it is correct on your software. Double check with what shows up on FindU. Then send email to CWOP-support @ NOAA.

But you are not done. You also need to notify MesoWest. Your location is currently wrong with MesoWest.
https://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base_dyn.cgi?stn=F4622
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 08:41:42 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline gwminor48

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2019, 02:41:01 PM »
I will send emails. I double checked my original emails to mesowest and cwop-support@noaa.gov and they have the correct info. I have not moved so I don't know where this incorrect registered info is coming from but hopefully more emails will correct it.
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display