Author Topic: What happened to El Nino?  (Read 1144 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
What happened to El Nino?
« on: February 04, 2019, 06:40:05 AM »
Remember all the El Nino talk for this winter and how they were 95% sure it would develop. Never developed, so best chance is a weak spring, El Nino, about 65% is what they say. Spring El Nino's have little impact on global climate.
Randy

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
Re: What happened to El Nino?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 08:32:28 AM »
El Nino tends, or has in my recent memory, to bring drought here.  I don't want El Nino. We have just had a nice 2 years with neutral and La Nina.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 09:24:58 AM »
I'm thinking the warm water Blob was blocking a lot of the Pacific activity. It broke down over the last 2 years.
Really caused a lot of drought in Southwest. I don't know if they ever figured out why it occurred,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blob_(Pacific_Ocean)
Randy

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 09:30:11 AM »
A local meteorologist I watch posted something I think is on the right track.

Basically the patterns are/were there for an El Nino.  But we are also at a state of Solar Minimum that occurs roughly every 10-12 years.  None, or almost no sun spots are occurring.  This leads to less energy making it to earth.  And it has basically counteracted any El Nino effects.

As I understand it, the weather flow is matching an El Nino.  But the energy patterns aren't.  And that is tracking fairly close to what we are seeing in ND.  El Nino usually means dry and warm.  It's been about normal temps and on average precip.  The big difference is we're getting more shots of cold countered with normal temps.  And more smaller shots of precip to total normal.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 03:10:24 PM »
I can't keep 'em straight.  Which one made Bugs miss the left at Albuquerque?

Offline TheOtherBlueRIdgeGuy

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 09:18:35 AM »
For us here in the Heartland and who love the snow this makes sense. I was wondering how we are setting records for February snow during of all things, El Nino year. We are supposed to be a tad warmer but well short of precipitation norms in these years. Well, this is certainly not coming to light

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 10:35:54 AM »
We are in a low sunspot activity year. Doesn't always get this cold but activity varies as we cycle through every 11 years or so. 
Sunspot activity is the main player in climate change they don't want us to know about. There are some good scientist that have been predicting a mini ice-age soon.

I don't expect a major revelation on CNN about the worlds greatest hoax, but all will know for sure as we enter into the next mini ice-age sometime in the 2030s with extended low sunspot activity what really controls the climate.  Even then they will spin it where Co2 has caused the ice age.

Meanwhile, some will continue to be hysterical about Co2 emissions with statements like the world will end if we don't go 100% renewable and end all Co2 emissions within 12 years.
Randy

anything