Author Topic: WU offline ?  (Read 9659 times)

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
Re: WU offline ?
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2020, 04:20:54 PM »
I lost my station on the web page map this morning but returned after a few hours. Back to the wagon spokes (spiders) and lost my gold star. Had it for a month (longest interval in over a year). Sigh...  One step forward 2 steps back.  :?

Offline tincup

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2020, 05:06:27 PM »
Same with mine, "offline". KMIROGER7

Greg H.

I've been down for about 3 days, KCANILAN14 with the same "offline" issue.  The Vantage Pro II is working and sending data.

Offline jmmctighe

• High St. Ipswich
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2020, 08:28:26 PM »
I've down for 26 hours, but only in weewx.  I plug my PWS into my PC and run Cumulus and it publishes fine to WU.
Weewx does publish to PWSweather just fine so it isn't the station or the Raspberry Pi, but an issue at WU.

Offline jmmctighe

• High St. Ipswich
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2020, 08:50:47 PM »
I posted my issue on the Weather Underground User's Group on Facebook and was pointed to this post:

Regarding the extension of the PWS maintenance window.

If your station isn't reporting please try restarting it. We have noticed about 2000 weather stations do not correctly obey a internet standard called DNS that tells your weather station where to send data. As part of the maintenance our internet address changed. DNS is supposed to handle this, but we are seeing many stations that use some sort of work around to DNS. There is one other lingering issue with SSL certificates that is causing some issues for some stations uploading data "also the device listing page" We expect to complete maintenance today

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2020, 06:08:40 AM »
That doesn't explain the spider returning.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline dave.mccreath

• Wunderground Cambridgeshire UK
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2020, 06:48:34 AM »
Spoke too soon!

SSL Certificate error went away last night, still failed to upload (on third error), now back to SSL Certificate error again!

Jan 31 10:50:27 raspberrypi weewx[545]: restx: Wunderground-PWS: Thread exiting. Reason: hostname 'weatherstation.wunderground.com' doesn't match either of '*.prod-pws-ng-546567-997b58a668d15d562a6bed58ea7c5f9e-0000.us-south.containers.appdomain.cloud', 'prod-pws-ng-546567-997b58a668d15d562a6bed58ea7c5f9e-0000.us-south.containers.appdomain.cloud', 'prod-pws-ng-546567.us-south.containers.appdomain.cloud'

Bummer.

Offline wbnethery3

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2020, 07:26:28 AM »
Got my 5-in-1 as a Christmas present (nerdy yes) and set it up successfully on 12/29. It went offline on 1/29 around 5:00 p.m. CST after a continuous month of operation and hasn't returned since. I found this forum, posted a question on the AcuRite section and was directed here.

My station is using the direct connection to WU via router from the display unit (06086M). I followed instructions setting it up I didn't have any problems in December. Last night I restarted the base unit several times and it appears to be transmitting as far as I can tell. I didn't have a My AcuRite account set up for it because I was satisfied with looking at WU... when trying to set up the app during all of this, it produces an error message saying it cannot be found on the server or some such language.

I could not find any documentation on how the info flows from my base station to the WU page, but now wonder if it goes to AcuRite first. I'm a nooob, and haven't done any reading on this so please bear with my ignorance. When I first discovered the problem yesterday, and looked at My Devices on WU, it didn't show up in the list (it's the only one). It now shows up on the list but is shown Offline.

Following this thread and hope to see some resolution soon. Was enjoying having a new gadget...

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2020, 08:39:45 AM »
Seems like WU moved to different hosting or to different servers. This has caused an IP address change for their servers. Normally any weather station that was programmed to upload to a fully qualified domain address (URL) would only need to possibly be restarted or the router restarted to get new DNS IP addresses. Or wait out till DNS expires (usually less than 24 hours), and then the new IP addresses would be acquired to be able to send to the new servers.

But there are a number of possible problems...

• If the weather station is configured by the user or by the manufacturer to upload to an IP address rather than a fully qualified domain address (URL) then you have an upload problem until you or the manufacturer updates the address. What this means is that DNS is as not being used to find out IP addresses.
  • In some weather stations the upload server address may be hard coded by the manufacturer. This leaves the user with no way to fix the problem, unless the manufacturer issues a firmware update. Or in the case of some manufacturers like Davis where you upload to Weatherlink.com and then they upload to WU, would be a situation where it is out of the users hands to remedy, as the upload is handled by the intermediary service.
  • It is also possible that WU has dropped an old URL address that does not conform to their current Upload Protocol Documentation. For example let's suppose at some point it was possible to upload to purpledinosaur.wunderground.com and DNS would resolve this to WU servers and now WU has decided to drop purpledinosaur.wunderground.com, well then in this case your weather station would be using DNS but you would be using a URL that is no longer valid and hence you would not be able to upload. As before if you can change the URL then you can fix the problem, but if it is hard coded then you would need to depend on the manufacturer to fix the problem.

Now just because you may be in a situation where the manufacturer has hard coded the WU upload server address does not mean you can't fix the problem a different way. With most stations regardless of brand; Acurite, Ambient, or Davis (and others), you can change the way you upload to WU by using other means, like other software. Some examples of other software are; Acuparse, Cumulus, Meteobridge, WeeWx, Weather-Display. Depending on what your station is will determine compatibility with these options, but typically one or more of these will work. Using these other software provides you with more control, direct upload and often better options like rapidfire to WU.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 08:41:51 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Online DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2020, 08:55:26 AM »
People running Weewx are also not able to upload I read.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2020, 09:01:37 AM »
People running Weewx are also not able to upload I read.

And these WeeWx users probably have an old WU address configured. I mentioned WeeWx as a solution because you can easily edit the server address. It is also possible that some of the people using WeeWx are from people that are running old versions of WeeWx that may have used a different and now unsupported URL.
Tele-Pole

Offline wbnethery3

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2020, 09:10:26 AM »
Seems like WU moved to different hosting or to different servers. This has caused an IP address change for their servers. Normally any weather station that was programmed to upload to a fully qualified domain address (URL) would only need to possibly be restarted or the router restarted to get new DNS IP addresses. Or wait out till DNS expires (usually less than 24 hours), and then the new IP addresses would be acquired to be able to send to the new servers.

But there are a number of possible problems...

• If the weather station is configured by the user or by the manufacturer to upload to an IP address rather than a fully qualified domain address (URL) then you have an upload problem until you or the manufacturer updates the address. What this means is that DNS is as not being used to find out IP addresses.
  • In some weather stations the upload server address may be hard coded by the manufacturer. This leaves the user with no way to fix the problem, unless the manufacturer issues a firmware update. Or in the case of some manufacturers like Davis where you upload to Weatherlink.com and then they upload to WU, would be a situation where it is out of the users hands to remedy, as the upload is handled by the intermediary service.
  • It is also possible that WU has dropped an old URL address that does not conform to their current Upload Protocol Documentation. For example let's suppose at some point it was possible to upload to purpledinosaur.wunderground.com and DNS would resolve this to WU servers and now WU has decided to drop purpledinosaur.wunderground.com, well then in this case your weather station would be using DNS but you would be using a URL that is no longer valid and hence you would not be able to upload. As before if you can change the URL then you can fix the problem, but if it is hard coded then you would need to depend on the manufacturer to fix the problem.

Now just because you may be in a situation where the manufacturer has hard coded the WU upload server address does not mean you can't fix the problem a different way. With most stations regardless of brand; Acurite, Ambient, or Davis (and others), you can change the way you upload to WU by using other means, like other software. Some examples of other software are; Acuparse, Cumulus, Meteobridge, WeeWx, Weather-Display. Depending on what your station is will determine compatibility with these options, but typically one or more of these will work. Using these other software provides you with more control, direct upload and often better options like rapidfire to WU.

Thanks for the details... is one of the above alternates to direct upload to WU preferred?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2020, 09:18:17 AM »

Thanks for the details... is one of the above alternates to direct upload to WU preferred?

No, not really. They are all good and popular and actively supported options. It just depends on what is compatible with your station and personal preference. I recommend taking a look at all of them and then learning how they work and  what is compatible, requirements, and features offered.

I also didn't mention all the options available. Another popular option for Davis stations is WiFiLogger.

Tele-Pole

Offline wbnethery3

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2020, 09:22:14 AM »

No, not really. They are all good and popular and actively supported options. It just depends on what is compatible with your station and personal preference. I recommend taking a look at all of them and then learning how they work and  what is compatible, requirements, and features offered.

I also didn't mention all the options available. Another popular option for Davis stations is WiFiLogger.

Should've clarified - my system is an AcuRite 5-in-1 with the direct updates to WU built into the base station.

Offline wbnethery3

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2020, 09:35:48 AM »
And FWIW - AcuRite support isn't very helpful. They did tell me that my base station isn't compatible with their app... so I'll have to try some of the other suggested ways of connecting to it this weekend.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2020, 09:43:38 AM »

Should've clarified - my system is an AcuRite 5-in-1 with the direct updates to WU built into the base station.

In that case you should look at; Acuparse, Meteobridge, Weather-Display, and WeeWx. Some of these require that your console supports USB mode 3 as not all Acurite's do. An alternative is to get the Acurite Access bridge device although that doesn't work with all of these software. I suggest you find or start a new thread for more help on choosing a solution.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 09:45:55 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline frankpc

• Lakepoint Weather
  • Build it and they will come.
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2020, 10:36:29 AM »
FWIW,

My weather software is written in PHP.  And I am getting an Offline indication since 5:02PM on Jan 29 CDT.  Using curl, I send the data to https://weatherstation.wunderground.com/weatherstation/updateweatherstation.php?ID=........

I am getting the error:  SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate

Does this mean WU's requirements have changed?

WU: Lakepointe KKSSHAWN122
.--/-.../-..../--.-/.--/.---

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2020, 11:18:31 AM »
Change weatherstation.wunderground.com to rtupdate.wunderground.com

These both resolve to the same three addresses but changing the URL might force a DNS lookup if the current choice is cached.

You could try http instead of https because of SSL error. Normally I would not recommend using http instead of https but what's the risk in this instance?... Your station key?.. Not likely a problem from a home network.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 11:57:29 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2020, 11:34:52 AM »
Okay here is more info on the matter. It seems like the SSL certificate is not set up correctly. It is not linked to a trusted root. This is a WU problem to resolve.

This link below takes a few seconds to produce the status of the SSL certificate:
https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html#hostname=rtupdate.wunderground.com

Therefore if your station is uploading using https then there will be a problem.

As I mentioned before, in this case, for uploading to WU, who cares about needing to use http instead of https. The threat to using http is that data is not encrypted and the biggest vulnerability is the local network where rouge devices or other computers may steal your data during transmission. But in the case of a weather upload on a local network I hardly see the need for https. Of course if you can, then use https whenever possible as a good habit. This is just a temporary suggestion until WU fixes this problem.

I'm sure WU will fix their SSL certificate issue within a day or two.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 12:00:20 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline frankpc

• Lakepoint Weather
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2020, 11:55:43 AM »
I agree.  This risk is small.  If someone wants to know the windspeed in Kansas, they can have it.  I am using https but I disabled SSL in my curl statement and I am now getting successful updates to WU.

Evidently a change was made to WU's servers on January 29 (?)

I notice that most if not all the PWS's in my area are working.  Does that mean that my PWS is one of the few that used https?  When I wrote the software in PHP, I used https from habit.  And it has always worked until now.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 01:29:24 PM by frankpc »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2020, 09:01:47 AM »
SSL certificate is now checking out okay. Problem should be resolved.

Tele-Pole

Offline frankpc

• Lakepoint Weather
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2020, 10:52:57 AM »
SSL certificate is now checking out okay. Problem should be resolved.

Yes.  SSL works on my PWS now.  I'll just leave it off for now.

Offline Kpabutle9

WU offline ?
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2020, 11:08:37 AM »
Got my dot back, I’m happy till the next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2020, 11:16:33 AM »
My last upload was 5:05 PM today so I'm guessing that mine will be back online at 7:35 PM :?:

Well, that didn't work.   :grin:  Still not online.

Just check your station and as of 8:15am PST your up and running and your web cams working also !!

Offline Flessan

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2020, 11:29:46 AM »
Using weewx.  I switched back to https after reading these last few comments. Worked well for a while, then quit again. I'll leave it with just http. Works reliably that way.

Offline wbnethery3

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2020, 11:37:26 AM »
AcuRite 5-in-1 with Wifi direct upload to WU is still not working... and I'm not sure I have any other options. Haven't investigated the services mentioned in response to my previous post because, as built, it doesn't appear I can configure my equipment to connect to anything but WU. When the base unit wifi network host is active, I can navigate to the configuration page (IP address 192.168.4.1 on that network) but all it lets me do is give it my WU station ID and key. Am I correct in concluding that is the only way I can use the hardware I have and upload data? Was hoping maybe there is a different IP address on the base unit network that would allow me to reconfigure where it directs the uploads, but there isn't any information like that available in the user manual.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXBAYTO114