Author Topic: Three Weather stations - One graph  (Read 1395 times)

Offline garyghj

• Munlochy PWS
Three Weather stations - One graph
« on: April 24, 2019, 07:34:51 AM »
Hi, I have three automatic weather stations all reporting to Weather Display on three separate PC's. I am trying to adjust these three weather stations so they read as close as possible to each other and therefore it would be very useful if all three outputs could be presented on one graph.

Does anyone know of any software that can combine three WD logfiles into one graph or data table?

If such software exists it need not have to use WD logfiles as I could send the information to an online weather reporting site and then obtain an api key for each set of data, for example.

Thanks
Garyghj

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Three Weather stations - One graph
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 09:44:54 AM »
One thought is to send them all separately to their own CWOP. Then you can use the compare feature in Gladstonefamily.net to see all at the same time. You can manipulate the URL to show you just the 3 stations you want. Their location doesn't even need to be nearby. Then use the simple calendar navigation to see the date you want.

For example here is my CWOP compared to two other stations. I choose airports in NJ and CA as an example how location doesn't matter. They could just as well been three CWOP stations.
https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/qchart/F3708?date=20190424&addnl=KLAX&addnl=KEWR&Add+to+charts=Add+to+charts&.cgifields=addnl
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 09:49:06 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline garyghj

• Munlochy PWS
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 12:31:28 PM »
Thank you galfert,

I never thought of this and will give it a try. My main station is already registered with CWOP (FW2415) so I will add the other two.  [tup]

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 12:54:47 PM »
Your station FW2415 is registered but not fully registered where you validate your position, elevation and other info so that you can show up on Gladstonefamily.net.

You won't get MADIS analysis (being in Scotland) but you can still show up on Gladstonefamily.net if you complete this last step. This is valuable because you can use a nearby airport and superimpose graphs like I showed so that you can fine tune calibration. If that airport is nearby and if you follow other calibration best practices. You can even use a bit further out airport if you pay attention to isobars.

Take a look a this guide I wrote on isobars and using them to assist in calibration.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36579.0

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 12:59:50 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline garyghj

• Munlochy PWS
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 02:12:17 PM »
Thanks again,

Great guide. I never completed my CWOP registration as I felt it was very Americacentric, however your suggestion for combining weather stations onto one graph is very good and will give me the reason to complete the registration.

It is good to see that other people are properly calibrating there weather stations, this is one of my campaigns. It is too easy to buy, even expensive stations, and just 'set them up and plug them in' with little thought to calibration and maintenance. Some of the new 'locked to phone apps' hardware such as 'Bloomsky' do not even give an option to adjust the pressure, unless linked to WD or other good weather reporting software.

I am at exactly the same height above sea level as my local airport EGPE and 12.5km line of sight so I tend to use the the METAR to check pressure. Your method is more accurate though. I also have an array of manual instruments for calibration and checking. All my weather details are at www.millbankhouse.co.uk

What I am trying to do at the moment is combine rain detail on one graph from two of my weather station and then add the output from my RG11 rain sensor (set to tipping bucket mode and using the Rainwise 2 Rain Data Logger. The RG11 has reports of not being very accurate in tipping bucket mode and therefore I need two other 'controls' to test it properly.

Thank you again for your advice, very much appreciated.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 02:31:01 PM »
Gladstonefamily.net does not graph rain.  :sad:

CWOP is not that Americanized is it? It uses milibars!  :grin:
Tele-Pole

Offline garyghj

• Munlochy PWS
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 02:37:33 PM »
Back to finding software that graphs rain from multiple stations! Although I must complete my CWOP registration.  [tup]

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 03:03:40 PM »
Here is another idea unless someone else has a better idea...

Export your data to .csv files. Then import into Excel. It isn't so much an import as you just open the .csv and each .csv is a separate sheet in the same workbook file. You can basically copy/paste the data of each .csv into their own sheet.

Then you can make all the custom graphs you want as you can pull data from multiple sheets to make a graph.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 03:19:17 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole