Author Topic: VWS and METAR report  (Read 7188 times)

Offline daybreak

• Alma Weather
Re: VWS and METAR report
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2024, 07:11:08 PM »
Hi Ken,

I've been thinking that thought.  I haven't checked CumulusMX out but is it a fairly easy switch?  Mostly what I use from VWS on my website are the html tags and NOAA reports.  I'm using a script from Murry Conarroe that takes the NOAA reports and creates NOAA Daily Reports and NOAA Daily Records.   

Thanks,
Richard

Offline ohlone

• Weston Road Weather
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2024, 07:12:26 PM »
Hi Ken

I have WLL running just for this reason.  VWS is on its last gasp I agree.  But it has been fun overcoming all of the deficiencies and keeping it running.

I will likely consider something that has support like Cumulus (is that what you are using?)

I also could consider weather display.

I like the look and feel of my site as it is, but it’s probably gonna be time to migrate everything.  I will have more hobby time Next year if everything goes to plan.  So I need to do more homework this year.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2024, 09:07:40 PM »
The one thing I have always like about VWS and WV32 is that you can create your own dashboard/desktop. Also the VWS graphics are very good compared to others.

Offline Blizzard

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2024, 10:25:28 AM »
Does Cumulus allow NOAA download, website templates to integrate data in your website et ftp download to retrieve data. Juste curious if you know.

Offline ohlone

• Weston Road Weather
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2024, 10:34:25 AM »
Yes.  There is a complete template setup by Saratoga-weather.org you can install and customize.  Many sites are using it.  Also has template set for weather Display . 

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2024, 10:40:06 AM »
CumulusMX does create NOAA-style climate reports (like VWS), allows website templates (and has two different ones built-in), is supported in Saratoga and pwsdashboard templates, has 'realtime' updates (5-second recommended), and can download data on a schedule.

See https://www.cumuluswiki.org/a/Software

It doesn't have a converter for VWS weather data files to Cumulus, but I think that Weather-Display does have a VWS data importer.

My main site is driven by Weather-Display with a bit done by WeatherLink (PC version)

I think getting off VWS is a good thing.. it's not maintained and future Windows (or source website changes for data) will likely kill it off.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2024, 10:53:42 AM »
Hi,
Does Cumulus allow:
NOAA download;
I am not familiar with this, but possibly the HTTP as below?

website templates to integrate data in your website;
In addition to the standard CumulusMX template files, your own template files can be created with including CumulusMX webtags that will be processed and FTP or PHP upload at either realtime, set-interval, end-of-day, or incremental.

ftp download to retrieve data;
Would it be similar to this setting:
Code: [Select]
HTTP File Settings
HTTP Files
 Add New Item
Enabled   URL   Destination Filename   Download Interval   Upload Enabled   Timed Downloads   Time of first download of the day   Actions
Save Settings
URL: This the url used to access your source file

Destination Filename: This the path and file name where you want your downloaded file to be saved.
This is either a path on your web server, or a local path where Cumulus is running - the Upload Enabled option controls which.

Download Interval: This a multiple of your web interval, or at the End of Day rollover
For example, if your web interval is 5 minutes and you select "x12", then the download will occcur once an hour.

Upload Enabled: This controls if the file is just downloaded to the local file system, or it is then uploaded to your web site.

Timed Downloads: If this is disabled, then the file will be downloaded at the set interval, starting whenever Cumulus is started.
If you enable this option, then the downloads will start at First Download and repeat each interval

First Download: If timed uploads are enabled, then the first download of the day will occur at this time and repeat at each interval until the end of the day

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2024, 11:11:11 AM »
I think the old Cumulus Version 1 had a way to import VWS data.  It's been quite awhile, but I think I installed that on a test computer and imported it in.

It didn't get my wind run values very well.  But the core temp/wind/humdidity worked.

I could be wrong, it has been like 10 years ago since I switched...
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline ohlone

• Weston Road Weather
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2024, 11:14:45 AM »
FTP is supported from what I read on the Saratoga scripts setup.  The pc running Cumulus software configures the FTP or HTTP site transfers , I’m not clear if they are done from the PC or the remote server.  The local pc pushes weather station raw data in tag files that are used by the php scripts on the remote server to render the pages , which is a paradigm change from VWS pushing most of the graphics and html pages created locally by templates from the  PC.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2024, 02:20:40 PM »
CumulusMX can parse pages (templates) on the local PC and substitute for weather variables, then push the processed pages to the website - that's how the built-in templates work (just like VWS).  The weather tag files used by the Saratoga templates are just a CumulusMX template file that is processed and pushed to the website where the PHP scripts in the wx...php pages display that data.  CumulusMX also produces JSON data files (that need to be pushed to the website) for display of current graphs.  CumulusMX doesn't generate static graphs -- to display on a website, it uses JavaScript HighCharts to render the graphs from the JSON files.

CumulusMX doesn't generate a current conditions icon from METAR (or station) data -- the saratoga template generates one from METAR data (+ current rain/wind) using a script on the website.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 02:23:31 PM by saratogaWX »
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Blizzard

• Contributor
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2024, 02:25:52 PM »
Thanks a lot. I will eventually turn to this one since it offers the same possibiliies as VWS and I am using my own templates. Using Virtual VP, I can run cumulus with interuption on my main site.

BTW, I've been using your script ohlone ti shut and open VWS and VVP since VWS will sometimes not communicate to VVP when it has been running for a while. I don't know if you can help, but when VVP is in the tray like it is always, your script won't turn it off. It has to be active on screen. Any idea why?

Offline ohlone

• Weston Road Weather
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2024, 03:44:26 PM »
It might be a service?   Try “net stop ServiceName”.

Offline Blizzard

• Contributor
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2024, 06:01:07 PM »
Where do I type this and/on instead of what? And if I want the script to run wothout being seen on the screen. Do you know I must do?

Offline ohlone

• Weston Road Weather
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2024, 06:37:17 PM »
Modify the script or try it from CMD Prompt.    Does it stop the service if you enter the command: "net stop "VVP.?"

To start a program minimized using Task Scheduler, you can try the following steps:

1. Open Task Scheduler and create a new task.

2. On the "Action" tab, set the "Action" to "Start a program".

3. In the "Program/script" field, enter the path to the executable file of the program you want to start minimized.

4. In the "Start in" field, enter the working directory of the program, if it's different from the executable file path.

5. On the "Conditions" tab, uncheck "Start the task only if the computer is on AC power".

6. On the "General" tab, check "Hidden" next to  "Configure for".

7. Save the task and test it.

Note: If the above steps don't work, try creating a shortcut for the script and starting the shortcut in Task Scheduler.  And you can modify the shortcut to at least run minimized

Report back the results here afterward.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 06:47:28 PM by ohlone »

Offline ohlone

• Weston Road Weather
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2024, 08:20:53 PM »
I had no luck suppressing the window unfortunately.  It does not really bother me much as it is hourly and the WS is rebooting anyway.  There may be a way to run it from some third party SW that can hide it.

Offline Blizzard

• Contributor
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2024, 07:50:14 AM »
Thyere seem to be a problem in my code

@echo off

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\VirtualVP

net stop service virtualvp.exe

TIMEOUT /T 20 /nobreak

start virtualvp.exe

exit /b %WINSCP_RESULT%

I can't try to shut VVP from the tray with this.

Offline ohlone

• Weston Road Weather
« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2024, 03:19:16 PM »
Look in task manager when it’s in the tray.  See if you can kill it from there.  Then see if you can copy the path and app name to the bat file.

Offline Blizzard

• Contributor
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2024, 11:12:16 AM »
I can't even see it in task manager. Isn't weird?

Offline ohlone

• Weston Road Weather
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2024, 11:20:42 AM »
There should be some process or service associated .  Check those tabs.

Offline Blizzard

• Contributor
« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2024, 11:23:02 AM »
I did. It should wear the name of VVP somewhere, no? Is it realy in the task planning? I tried again. The script kills perfectly VVP when the window is openned, but not when it is in the tray.

Offline ohlone

• Weston Road Weather
« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2024, 11:26:20 AM »
Maybe script maximize the app first. Then kill.  Not sure how to do that

Offline Blizzard

• Contributor
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2024, 11:29:58 AM »
Maybe. I found where to look for. I have a list of processus running background and I see VVP. Let see if I can locate where it runs.

Offline ohlone

• Weston Road Weather
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2024, 11:31:10 AM »
A more forceful task kill might work. Try this

taskkill /im filename.exe /t /f

Offline Blizzard

• Contributor
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2024, 11:37:49 AM »
Great! This time it worked. I can kill VVP and VWS. I set 10 sec for VVP and 20 sec for VWS. I just need to run them invisible not to annoy my wife lol

Offline ohlone

• Weston Road Weather
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2024, 12:54:01 PM »
Any luck running the bat files hidden?

anything