Author Topic: Insect in rain gauge  (Read 789 times)

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
Insect in rain gauge
« on: August 08, 2018, 02:42:24 PM »
Let me apologize in advance if I have hit a topic covered in another post, but I did look before I posted this.

This morning we had 1.25" rain in 1 hour. My console recorded 0.00.

When I checked later, I found a field beetle (aka blister beetle) at the bottom of my rain cone. Since the cone is very similar to the ant lion trap, the beetle died there.

Question

1. Can a beetle actually keep the gauge from registering any rain at all? It would seem to me that the gauge would record something as the rain sort of squeezed past the beetle.

2. Something else I should check/do before the next rain?

My gauge is about 3 months old. Vantage Pro2

Thanks!

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: Insect in rain gauge
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 02:57:15 PM »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 03:02:31 PM »
If water wasn't backed up into the cone it should of worked maybe just tipping slower over actual rainfall rate. Make sure cable is plugged into proper plug all the way and test again. Something's not right.  Did it work before? 
Randy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 04:08:08 PM »

When I checked later, I found a field beetle (aka blister beetle) at the bottom of my rain cone. Since the cone is very similar to the ant lion trap, the beetle died there.

Pics, or it didn't happen.  :-P
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 07:58:23 PM »

Field beetle is the common name in Kansas. I live near an alfalfa field, which these critters like. No pictures. Sorry.

Valentine: If water wasn't backed up into the cone it should of worked maybe just tipping slower over actual rainfall rate. Make sure cable is plugged into proper plug all the way and test again. Something's not right.  Did it work before?

The gauge was working fine when I left a week ago. My wife reports that it was registering rain during that time. I just tested the gauge with a couple tenths and it did not work. No time to do more today. Tomorrow I will open the panel and check connection.

If that isn't it, I will be begging everyone for help.

Offline EA1EF

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 04:07:59 AM »
Definitive solution are the Chinese stain steel spherical tea filter. Usually are two sizes, smallest fit down new rain filters included in Davis.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1610/3863/products/Globalkitchen.japan_tea_ball75_2_2048x2048.png

uy a spherical tea filter, cut the mid spheres, Turn the mesh around forming a cone. With sphere down push up and fold up, then push border circle to fold more, need fit in rain cone and do not  hold the mesh only hold the metallic circle. The mesh must form a pyramid with some plain circle of mesh arround.

Better try share a video, cost 3 euro and 1 minute.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 04:32:46 AM by EA1EF »

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 10:08:29 AM »
I put one of these in the bottom of the rain cone and have had one for years when I had other stuff in there.  I got it a the hardware store,but any store that sells kitchen faucets or parts  has them and they are cheap.  I have never found any rain on the lip of the strainer.  But I have a lot of stuff in the basket. So when I do an inspection, I clean that out and occasionally check under the cone and it is clean.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 10:17:20 AM by Aardvark »

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 10:52:43 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Here is what I have found so far. Removing the insect did not take care of the problem. The console still read 0.00 when I put in a couple tenths of water after taking the bug out. So it is more than an insect problem.

All the other console displays are reading normal. Did the diagnostic and it came out 100%. 

I have emailed Ryan at Scaled Instruments, where I purchased my unit.

This has got to be me, right? We will see what Ryan thinks. 

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 01:47:24 PM »
Ryan has a day job if you need immediate tech help call Davis directly. They may have ideas to test. Reed switch most likely  burned out already.

I wouldn't accept a reed switch you will need soldering skills to install, have them send a new rain gauge being under full warranty.

You can test reed switch by using a multimeter across terminals on bucket and see resistance as you tip buckets.  If nothing reed switch is burned out. If needle moves each tip you have another issue.

Also Check this page for troubleshooting. https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/fixing-rain-gauge-faults
Randy

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 02:09:14 PM »

The gauge was working fine when I left a week ago. My wife reports that it was registering rain during that time. I just tested the gauge with a couple tenths and it did not work. No time to do more today. Tomorrow I will open the panel and check connection.

If that isn't it, I will be begging everyone for help.

When you tested with 'a couple tenths'  did you HEAR the spoon tipping?
Did you take the bucket off the tipping mechanism to verify that it is not jammed?

I have had a pine needle get through the debris filter and wedge the spoon so that it would not tip. It was not visible until I removed the bucket.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 03:06:02 PM »
I used to listen to the bucket tip in my Rainwise. I could hear it. (There is so little to do in Kansas  :-) ). I wasn't sure I would be able to hear the bucket tipping on the Davis. But, no, I did not hear it.  Good to know.

I'll be checking the connection later today. Then go from there.

Thanks

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 01:49:35 PM »
UPDATE on the Insect Topic
Questions:
Can the bubble level being more than half out of the circle lead to problems with the tipping bucket?

Can just a film of dirt in the buckets lead to a problem with their efficiency?

I found both. I suspect the J Pipe mount was effected by the 75 mph wind, which led to the level problem. I am going to have to think of a solution for this.

Dirt? It's KS and I will have to clean every 3 months.

Anyway, I got it working. Thanks for your help.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 01:53:17 PM »
I put one of these in the bottom of the rain cone and have had one for years when I had other stuff in there.  I got it a the hardware store,but any store that sells kitchen faucets or parts  has them and they are cheap.  I have never found any rain on the lip of the strainer.  But I have a lot of stuff in the basket. So when I do an inspection, I clean that out and occasionally check under the cone and it is clean.

Aardvark, I found another field beetle inside the debris shield today. I don't see how they are squeezing in between those slots. Coming up from the bottom? Seems unlikely.

Will the basket (your picture) fit over that pointy debris shield, or do you replace the original with the basket?

Thanks