Author Topic: Davis VP2 or Ambient WS-2000?  (Read 3075 times)

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: Davis VP2 or Ambient WS-2000?
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2019, 02:29:08 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone! Sounds like Davis is the way to go.

The cheapest place I can find to buy the station is at Scaled Instruments. Does anyone have any experience with that store?
Thanks.

I have purchased several items from Scaled Instruments and its owner, Ryan Wilhour. He is the best. If something doesn't work right, he fixes it. His prices are very fair, and frequently the best as well. He knows the Davis product line backwards and forwards so if you have a question regarding Davis products or features, he probably knows the answer. Ryan also has some useful "how to" manuals on his website about Davis products. For example, I had to disassemble and clean my Integrated System Suite that has a 24 hour fan that I had purchased from Ryan. While I knew how to clean the ISS, reassembly can be a challenge. He has a very useful manual on his website on how to reassemble the ISS so it works correctly!   
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 11:22:18 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 02:39:48 PM »
Ryan over at Scaled will take care of you.  I've bought a few parts for my older VP2, and Envoy, and the WiFi logger.  Always delivered quickly.  When it comes time to replace my VP2, I'll be buying there.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 02:50:16 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone! Sounds like Davis is the way to go.

The cheapest place I can find to buy the station is at Scaled Instruments. Does anyone have any experience with that store?
Thanks.
nice ! i hope it gives you years of service and enjoy the learning curve as above your in the right place in your choice , ive heard nothing but good things about Scaled Instruments from that side of the pond ...have fun ...

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2019, 09:08:07 PM »
Agreed on Scaled instruments recommendation.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2019, 03:38:37 AM »
Didn't see anyone mention it yet, but Ryan usually gets any order I place shipped within a day, usually the same day if I order in the early hours of the morning. He's out of Florida, so if you live nearby (I live in GA), you'll get it really quick too.

Also, he's got a cell number on the site and you can text him if you have any questions about a product.

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2019, 07:18:15 PM »
I got a WS 2029A clone and right up there with my Davis vue in accuracy. I got it as no extra cost getting online like Davis.

I find the clones pressure readings more accurate than my vue in it reacts to weather changes better and gives a better weather forecast projection. Also the display is a nice step up from Davis.

Still love my Davis though all the same.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2019, 07:23:12 PM »
Dennis,

You just gotta stop using and mentioning that wrong model number for your station. You've done it like 4 or 5 times already.

WS-2902A
correct model number

Write it down a few times. Let it sink in your head. Forget that other wrong number.

Or call it a WH2910C if you have an Ecowitt or just call it a WH2900 ...everyone will know what you are talking about and if they don't they can Google it. But if they Google that wrong model number you keep using then everyone is going to get really confused because it happens to be a model number of something totally different from some company nobody ever heard of. Just trying to help buddy.  :-)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 07:37:48 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2019, 07:59:35 PM »
I find the clones pressure readings more accurate than my vue
Just as an FYI, then you have Vue console issues as the Davis on paper is 175% more accurate at pressure than your WS is.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2019, 10:53:30 PM »
I have both

School---the Davis and software options are great. I run WL and WD with VVP. It gives me many options for websites and getting info to a variety of sources. Davis 2.5 second data cannot be beat. Running for many years with one refurb and the latest issue.

My Ambient is great for home. It pushes to an Ambient website, WU and PWS. My neighbors can see it.  But, there is no option for really adding it to a full website-unless I am lazy and missed something. I am having issues with it reconnecting with the internet here decides to be stupid (comcast) It does not alway reconnect. Wife did buy a warranty on it.

You will not go wrong with either. Depends on what you are looking to do and want.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.