Author Topic: What would be the BEST weather station to get?  (Read 1326 times)

Offline MchWxEnthusiast

• That Guy
  • Contributor
  • Nothing Much
What would be the BEST weather station to get?
« on: December 04, 2020, 03:45:01 PM »
Specifically at least under 500$, one that you can put in the yard, includes rain gauge, and doesn't have too many problems.I hope i'm not asking for too much.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 11:04:09 PM by MchWxEnthusiast »
Weather Radio Freq: 162.475 MHz
Weather Radio Loc:  Plainwell, MI
Transmitter Call Sign: WWF34
Streaming Status: NN

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: What would be the BEST weather station to get?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 03:55:26 PM »
has forecasts,
I wouldn't use that as a criteria. PWS's don't truly forecast with any consistent accuracy, it's a gimmick.

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 03:57:54 PM »
Are you looking to send your station data to websites like Weather Underground and have access to your station data locally?

Answer depends partially on that.

Davis Vantage Pro 2 is a nice and reliable station that without sending data to internet would be around $500 and include local console to view data.
To send to internet and weatherlink.com will run about $200 in addition for weatherlink logger/hub.

Another option is Ecowitt GW1002 about $200 with console HP2551-c  which is local color console for an additional $140 . This station will send data to Weatherunderground and interent with what is included for this price.

Just my 2 cents of few options, and am sure others will share recommendations as well.

Good luck and enjoy

Frank

Offline MchWxEnthusiast

• That Guy
  • Contributor
  • Nothing Much
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 04:25:20 PM »
Are you looking to send your station data to websites like Weather Underground and have access to your station data locally?
Yes!
Weather Radio Freq: 162.475 MHz
Weather Radio Loc:  Plainwell, MI
Transmitter Call Sign: WWF34
Streaming Status: NN

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 04:50:14 PM »
You can't go wrong with a Davis shop | Davis Instruments

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Storm017

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 05:19:18 PM »

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 06:47:41 PM »
Agreed, place I also bought my station and addon parts from.

Station I have that is very accurate and have had no issues with is:
https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/complete-weather-stations/vantage-pro2-series/wireless/davis-6152-wireless-vantage-pro2-with-standard-radiation-shield/

To get data onto the internet and will cool app (need to have internet connectivity to  work with this) bought this logger/ hub
https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/hardware-data-loggers-software/hardware-software-bundles/davis-6100-weatherlink-live/

Very happy with it and has run through Buffalo, NY  winter and summer humidity with no issue.

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 11:03:20 PM »
After having several inexpensive stations along with their problems and failures, I finally convinced myself to go with the premium Davis station you see in my signature below. I'm very pleased with the accuracy and reliability.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline vinceskahan

• Senior Contributor
    • home site
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 08:13:00 PM »
Specifically at least under 600$, one that you can put in the yard, includes rain gauge, and doesn't have too many problems.I hope i'm not asking for too much.

If you can spend that much, you can't go wrong with Davis.  The usual vendors like scaledinstruments and scientificsales are great to deal with and have very cheap prices currently.

VP2 currently is about $450 and a Vue is down to an amazing $267 if you don't mind the all-in-one sensor suite.  The VP2 also has the upside of being able to repair/refresh its sensors piece by piece, which might be of interest.

Add a datalogger (usb or serial) if you want to handle outages if you lose power and missed data would bug you. Add a raspi running weewx as well if you want to generate fancy dashboards, feed places like WU/PWS/CWOP etc., or the like.   Even $50 there gets you plenty enough pi horsepower.

A Vue plus datalogger plus pi with a pi display+case would be under $550 if you have a little bit of linux chops and don't mind investing a little time.  The Vue+datalogger only is way under $400.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 08:15:02 PM by vinceskahan »
WeeWX sites:
  Davis VP2+DFARS to a pi4
  EcoWitt GW1000, WH32 outdoor T+H, multiple WH31 indoor T+H, WH51 soilMoisture, WH34 soilTemp (pi4)
  Davis AirLink (inside)
  PurpleAir (outside)
Home site:        https://www.skahan.net/
Wunderground: KWAFEDER15
PWS:                KWFEDER15
CWOP:              CW6881

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 08:29:34 PM »
Specifically at least under 600$, one that you can put in the yard, includes rain gauge, and doesn't have too many problems.I hope i'm not asking for too much.
VP2 currently is about $450 and a Vue is down to an amazing $267 if you don't mind the all-in-one sensor suite.  The VP2 also has the upside of being able to repair/refresh its sensors piece by piece, which might be of interest.
If you can sensibly sit a VP2, don't even think of a Vue.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 08:33:05 PM »
 In my opinion you can't go wrong with a Davis. Had a Weather Monitor II I bought in 04 that was working great until a direct hit from lightning in 2011 ended it's days. Shortly afterward I bought a VP 2 and it's still going strong after 1 refurb.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 08:34:55 PM »
This, although don't sit on it. Site it.  :grin:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 09:11:46 PM »
This, although don't sit on it. Site it.  :grin:
Yeah, yeah, yeah... I got hammered a couple of years ago for spelling it as "sitting vs siting" as well. Forrest would be proud of me, "Stupid is as stupid does..."
#-o

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2020, 06:30:05 PM »
 Hi MchWxEnthusiast,

Any luck narrowing down/deciding what station you planning to get?

Just curious in case have questions

Offline Storm017

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2020, 06:41:08 PM »
I have a Vantage Pro2 since late 2009 and is still going strong.

anything