Author Topic: Ambient's new station, WS-7078  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Kbklarry

Ambient's new station, WS-7078
« on: November 11, 2020, 04:21:21 PM »
Hello,

I own a WS 2902A and love it. For my purposes, it easily beats the Vantage II Pro I had until it totally broke down and I tired of paying for repairs.

I now want a second station for my second home but don't feel like paying $170 for it. Ambient Weather is showing a new station with similar capabilities, the WS-7078, which is $120. I asked the company what the differences were and what was the advantage of the 2902C, the current 2902 model. The only response I hot was that the two models have different sensors which doesn't help me make a decision.

I have seen no reviews anywhere. Does anyone on this forum own this model or know anything about it besides its specs?

Thanks,
Larry

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Ambient's new station, WS-7078
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 06:43:48 PM »
The reviews on Amazon (yeah yeah I know they are fixed) are mixed. Seems like a communications range/quality problem. Looks nice.

https://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-WS-7078-Wireless-Forecast/product-reviews/B00008T95J

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 06:45:40 PM »
The reason you don't hear much about the WS-7078 (nor prior versions of it) is because it is manufactured by a different company than the other stuff that Ambient sells. This is the real reason that it uses different sensors. See Ambient sells stuff from different manufactures and then slaps their brand on all of it. The reason the WS-7078 and prior versions is not popular is because it runs internal software (called firmware) because it is from a different company and this causes it to not be compatible with many of the expandability options that the enthusiasts community has developed. In truth even if you aren't concerned with expandability options it works different too. I'm only giving that as an example that may or may not be true. The truth is that there are inherent operational differences that make it cheaper for a reason...there is less customization ability built in. For people that don't care and only want to upload to Weather Underground and to Ambientweather.net then perhaps it doesn't matter. But if you come around these parts (this forum and others) looking for help and wanting to know how to make your weather station do more, then you need to start with the right station. It pays to do the research and come around here asking these questions. Unfortunately too many people buy without doing the research and then they come in here asking how to connect their station to a Meteobridge or to a TNC ...etc... and the answer is you can't.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 07:59:58 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Kbklarry

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 06:51:58 PM »
The reviews on Amazon (yeah yeah I know they are fixed) are mixed. Seems like a communications range/quality problem. Looks nice.

https://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-WS-7078-Wireless-Forecast/product-reviews/B00008T95J

Hi,

This is NOT the right product. This a LaCrosse station and not an Ambient Weather Station and it bears no resemblance to the Ambient one which oddly has the same model number. This is the Ambient model:

https://ambientweather.com/amws7078.html

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 06:54:14 PM »
Ambient is a funny company. The WS-7078 keeps morphing into totally new model numbers....it was WS-8478..and many other numbers. At the same time the preferred Fine Offset line from Ambient has a model that has gone from being called WS-2902, WS-2902A, WS-2902B, WS-2902C. Hmmmm....that is rather peculiar...... /s   Not!.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Kbklarry

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 07:02:35 PM »
The reason you don't hear much about the WS-7078 (nor prior versions of it) is because it is manufactured by a different company than the other stuff that Ambient sells. This is the real reason that it uses different sensors. See Ambient sells stuff from different manufactures and then slaps their brand on all of it. The reason the WS-7078 and prior versions is not popular is because it runs internal software (called firmware) because it is from a different company and this causes it to not be compatible with many of the expandability options that the enthusiasts community has developed. In truth even if you aren't concerned with expandability options it works different too. For example you may not be able to manually calibrate the barometer. I'm only giving that as an example that may or may not be true. The truth is that there are inherent operational differences that make it cheaper for a reason...there is less customization ability built in. For people that don't care and only want to upload to Weather Underground and to Ambientweather.net then perhaps it doesn't matter. But if you come around these parts (this forum and others) looking for help and wanting to know how to make your weather station do more, then you need to start with the right station. It pays to do the research and come around here asking these questions. Unfortunately too many people buy without doing the research and then they come in here asking how to connect their station to a Meteobridge or to a TNC ...etc... and the answer is you can't.

Hi,

That's interesting. I always thought that Ambient designed and produced their own products. I know for sure that I'm not interested in expanding  the weather station's capabilities. My only interest is to have an accurate enough readings of inside and outside temperatures and humidites and rainfalls that I can check from my home or remotely. I am not even able to mount a station in a decent location to get accurate window speed because both of my homes are condos.

Thanks for your response. Well, I ordered the Ambient Weather WS 7078 so I'll be seeing if it's as dependable as the 2902.

Larry

Offline Kbklarry

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 07:08:22 PM »
Ambient is a funny company. The WS-7078 keeps morphing into totally new model numbers....it was WS-8478..and many other numbers. At the same time the preferred Fine Offset line from Ambient has a model that has gone from being called WS-2902, WS-2902A, WS-2902B, WS-2902C. Hmmmm....that is rather peculiar...... /s   Not!.

Hi, The WS-8478 doesn't look at all like the 7078. Also, they even take different batteries. The WS-2902 A, B, and C versions all look the same and have the same specs I believe.

anything