Author Topic: Pour one out for my Ambient Weather WS-1400-IP... what to replace it with?  (Read 941 times)

Offline horseflesh

My Ambient Weather 1400 stopped reporting yesterday. It may only be batteries, and I am charging some fresh AAs, but I am prepared for the worst!

I actually bought it well used on Craigslist for $20 and got about 2 years out of it... not bad. It is my first (only) Fine Offset device and I would be happy to stick with that manufacturer if I have to replace it. My budget is ~$300 so the Davis stuff is probably not a contender. I am also spoiled by the old 1400 and Observer IP's ability to get the data online without needing another computer or expensive computer interface.

If I want something similar but modern, I guess I am looking at Ecowitt, or at Ambient Weather if I decide I want the no-moving-parts WS80? (Though, Ecowitt.com seems like it will sell me the GW1003 with ultrasonic sensors?)

BTW I am in Seattle so it does freeze overnight in fall and winter. If necessary I can supply AC power at the WX station location. So, I could get the WS80 heater if needed. I'm still reading here to see if the WS80 is worth getting over the 3-arm style though.

I do not need NOAA class accuracy but I sure do value reliability and connectivity. With that in mind, how would you spend about $300?

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Pour one out for my Ambient Weather WS-1400-IP... what to replace it with?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 10:22:05 PM »
You need reliability and connectivity with a station that can handle cold weather and is compact .... right ? The Davis Vantage Vue hits all those marks without having to add an additional heater. You can add on a WeatherlinkIP or put a WiFi Logger in the console. That way you don't need a computer always on. If you want UV and Solar then you will have to go to a Vantage Pro and add parts on as you go. Remember that all you want at a cheap price might be expensive in the long run when you have to replace batteries and parts. I did that with my first station and had to replace batteries and sensors nearly constantly and I scrapped it and bought a Davis. Instead of downtime and problems I was able to spend more time working with my website and local software and other fun indoor weather projects.

Offline horseflesh

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 10:26:16 PM »
The Davis stuff is great and I could do $400 for the station... but another $250 for the WeatherLink is pretty hard to swallow. Can you explain the console wifi logger?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 06:24:45 AM »
The Davis Vantage Vue is a terrible investment. Humidity sensor goes out and the whole outdoor unit is useless and unable to be repaired and must be replaced. With Davis the Vantage Pro 2 you can replace parts at reasonable price.

The WeatherlinkIP is no more. For uploading without a computer the most economical way for a Davis is the WiFiLogger. But you give up some expandability, and connectivity to 3rd party software. But for many it does more than most need.

The notion that an Ecowitt or Ambient is a wasted expense in the long run is hogwash. That may have been true for older generation stuff. Yes Davis VP2 is still better quality. I'm not denying that. In some environments like coastal regions then the VP2 will fair much better. But if a Fine Offset needs to be replaced a few times you are still not in VP2 money.

If you are in the US and you are interested in the ultrasonic WS80, then you'll have to order from Ambient. Ecowitt will not sell you the GW1003. Ambient has a contract with Fine Offset for the ultrasonic WS80 exclusivity in the US.

If you want real UV and real solar radiation sensors then you need to go with the Davis VP2+. The UV and solar radiation sensors on Fine Offset are simulated with a Lux sensor.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 05:53:22 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 08:03:25 AM »
I like my Ambient 2009A-good for home and neighborhood use.

If you want to get more to the internet, get a console with a data logger. Not sure of the number.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 11:47:51 AM »

The Davis stuff is great and I could do $400 for the station... but another $250 for the WeatherLink is pretty hard to swallow. Can you explain the console wifi logger?
WiFiLogger is a third-party alternate to the now discontinued WeatherlinkIP.  Like the WeatherlinkIP logger it plugs into a Davis console but it is WiFi so can be placed wherever you like.  It can do whatever WeatherlinkIP does and more, including uploading to WL.com, WU, PWS, AWEKAS, WOW, WC, Windy, CWOP, GLOBE and also FTP realtime.txt and wflexp.json.

But you give up some expandability, and connectivity to 3rd party software.
This is wrong!

The Davis Vantage Vue is a terrible investment.
I disagree with this!

You can get the Davis Vue WeatherlinkLive bundle (no console) at $321.34 https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/complete-weather-stations/vantage-vue-series/davis-6110-vantage-vue-sensor-suite-with-weatherlink-live-bundle/

The VP2 WLL bundle is also available but didn't see it listed at Scaled.

WLL is a good investment https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/4385fa0803a94c3cb7d5b73da60dd20d/summary

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 12:42:58 PM »

But you give up some expandability, and connectivity to 3rd party software.
This is wrong!

The Davis Vantage Vue is a terrible investment.
I disagree with this!

I suppose it depends on how we define expandability. The WiFiLogger can only be expanded with one 3rd party software. It doesn't have the expanse of options like a Meteobridge, and more.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=39751.0

Everyone is entitled to their opinion as to if the Vue is a good investment or not.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 01:06:14 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 12:11:29 AM »
I also upgraded from an Ambient Weather 1400IP a few months ago.

After a lot of research I decided to just spend the money and go with the Davis system you see below in my signature.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 04:11:04 AM »
Since you are in Seattle you have the possible option of buying in Canada or having Ecowitt ship to Canada and pick it up yourself?
There are no contract ties on purchasing the WS80 or any other FineOffset/Ecowitt in Canada.

I don't know if that would work for you but it might make the difference!
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

anything