Author Topic: WS-80 Ultrasonic Wind sensor array  (Read 22486 times)

Offline mark014

• Weather conditions in Ślesin (Poland)
Re: WS-80 Ultrasonic Wind sensor array
« Reply #125 on: January 18, 2020, 02:18:51 PM »
I wanted to check the operation of WS80 anomometer with a heater at a snowstorm, but in Europe we have a warm winter and I haven't had any snowfall yet, so I don't know if I will check it this season. For now, the sensor works without any problem.

However still HP3501 console does not upload your readings coming from WS-80 on weather servers including ecowitt.net.

This is already not entirely true. The planned firmware will provide also uploading data  from WS80 sensor to weather servers by the HP3501 console, which can be seen here: https://www.ecowitt.net/home/index?id=3684
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 05:57:39 PM by mark014 »

Offline ZoRaC

« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2020, 11:15:31 AM »
Does anyone know the consequence of not using the heating plate in cold weather (like down to -25C)? Will it just cause inaccurate wind measurements?

Here it can be -10 one day and +15 the next, so connecting/disconnecting the heating plate power supply many times each winter will be a bit annoying...

I’m after wind and sun measurements in the summertime and temp/humid all year. If not using the heating plate simply causes inaccurate wind measurements in the wintertime, that’s not a problem for me. :)

Ecowitt is closed until feb 9th, so I figured I’d ask here while waiting for them to be back from holiday...

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #127 on: February 01, 2020, 11:54:19 AM »
I might be wrong but my understanding is that the issue with temp is down to icing and that screwing up the speed of sound calculations that the sensors use to make the very tiny but accurate assessment of wind speed and direction.
If its perfectly dry and cold I believe that the calculations will continue to be correct, its only if you mix ice into the equation that it goes a bit wrong.

My WS80 has only been down to -5C this season but no ice and the calculations still seemed to match normal versus the Tri-wing sensor array I have.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline ZoRaC

« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2020, 10:22:59 AM »
Seems they cut the holiday short:
The consequences of not using the heating plate in cold weather just cause inaccurate wind measurements.
According to your requirement, you could not use the heating function in the winter.:)
Any other question, please let us know.

Best Regards,
Lucy

And it seems we both had the right conclusion, @Mandrake. :)

Offline Big Sky Weather

« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2020, 01:52:59 PM »

Offline mark014

WS-80 sensor video
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2020, 09:32:25 AM »
5 months have passed using the ultrasonic anemometer and I created a video summarizing my impressions and measurements. To date, the sensor works without interruptions and in fact the data on wind speed and gusts are in my opinion more reliable than using a cup vane anemometer - in the first place, gusts have a higher value and wind sampling is much frequent than for the WS68 wind gauge:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioBj_7DSf18&fbclid=IwAR3umVmo1SWzWrHIgmmSD-eWat3xDBtDmcQTui8XqgygLytBp632I12gZa4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioBj_7DSf18&fbclid=IwAR3umVmo1SWzWrHIgmmSD-eWat3xDBtDmcQTui8XqgygLytBp632I12gZa4[/youtube]

Weather readings from the sensor are being uploaded on:
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ILESIN3

WS68 sensor, with wind speed cups, readings are here:
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IWIELKOP26
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 09:42:14 AM by mark014 »

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2020, 04:52:11 PM »
Do you have to use the temperature sensor/shield with this?
Trying to see if can be installed lower profile without or if is required.

Because uses sound can this be installed lower than the 3 cup sensor and still be accurate?
If yes another plus and also makes it easier to get power to it in snowy location i am located at

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2020, 09:49:10 PM »
You can't move the built in temp/hum sensor because it is required as part of the wind calculation. But you can certainly add a optional WH32 to become the main outdoor temp/hum sensor, thereby leaving the built in WS80 tem/hum to only be used for wind calculations.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline mark014

« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2020, 03:07:19 AM »
Do you have to use the temperature sensor/shield with this?
Trying to see if can be installed lower profile without or if is required.

Yes, the built-in temperature sensor is required for proper wind calculation and this module is necessary, it cannot be disconnected and placed elsewhere.

Because uses sound can this be installed lower than the 3 cup sensor and still be accurate?
If yes another plus and also makes it easier to get power to it in snowy location i am located at

I don't have space on the roof to place two poles and the ultrasonic anemometer on top too, but even in this location it gives accurate wind readings and recorded gusts are higher than these ones from the cup anemometer attached above.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 04:19:34 AM by mark014 »

Offline Waimarie

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #134 on: May 11, 2020, 09:30:24 PM »
Just wondering... has anyone mounted a WS 80 on the same pole as a tri-arm?   I guess it would have to sit at least slightly lower to be in clear air. 

Also my pole is 45mm (1.77in) dia.  The tri-arm just fits it,  will the bracket fit that pole?  The web site pictures show it mounted on a pretty thin pole.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 01:29:49 AM by Waimarie »
Fine Offset WH3081 (Deceased)
Mi-Sol  WH2900C
Ecowitt HP2553
Ecowitt GW 1000 915MHz
Ecowitt GW 1000 433MHz
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt WH57
WU: IFEATH6
WOW: 910486001

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2020, 03:17:17 AM »
So I have had a good look at my setup this morning.
I have my two on separate poles about 2 feet apart.

I guess that you could put both on the same pole, however there is a downside that might be detrimental.
The WS80 must also be aligned North like the WH65 (tri-Wing) so that would mean that the Tri-Wing rain gauge would be sitting directly above the WS80 almost exactly.
That would effect the solar panel and Lux sensor which if you are using the WS80 takes precedence over the Tri-Wing sensors and is needed of course for power.
There is a way around that I guess which is deliberately to rotate the WS80 on its offset pole away from the bottom of the rain gauge and then apply a wind direction offset in the Console/GW1000 to make up for the misalignment. That should work and would allow the Solar panel to be exposed again although there might still be some shadowing from the Tri-Wing above at some point, so not perfect.

As for the mount to your pole, I cannot say for sure as my WS80 was a pre-production model and I know the mount to the pole is not the same as production models but I would suspect that you should be OK. Take a look at the WS80 manual and see if the dimensions of the mounting pole are described there.
http://www.ecowitt.com/upfile/201912/WS80%20Manual.pdf

G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline Waimarie

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2020, 01:28:49 AM »

I guess that you could put both on the same pole, however there is a downside that might be detrimental.
The WS80 must also be aligned North like the WH65 (tri-Wing) so that would mean that the Tri-Wing rain gauge would be sitting directly above the WS80 almost exactly.

Just reading this again.  Maybe not.  Because I'm in the southern hemisphere, I already flipped my station 180 degrees to get the solar panel out of the shadow of the rain gauge, so my wind vane/anemometer are actually at the northern end.  So If I were to mount the WS80 below the tri-arm it could be under the open "V" of those 2 arms.  Could work?   Otherwise it will have to go on the roof on the TV ariel mast, and that could screw the temperature reading.
Fine Offset WH3081 (Deceased)
Mi-Sol  WH2900C
Ecowitt HP2553
Ecowitt GW 1000 915MHz
Ecowitt GW 1000 433MHz
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt WH57
WU: IFEATH6
WOW: 910486001

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2020, 02:59:30 AM »
In that case it could work, though only advice I would give is that the Ultrasonic sensor is so sensitive and takes so many readings it really does see swirl!
My own sensor is really too near a neighbours house and that impacts readings somewhat.
At some point I am going to have to find a better spot in my garden though as has often been observed here its a case of compromise and living with the conditions that your 'spot' provides!

In your case I think as long as you give a reasonable gap of a foot or two between the sensor arrays then the wind readings should be OK.
It will also give a reasonable separation of the electronics as two transmitters on top of each other is not too good either. (The ultra sonic one is much stronger)
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline cmeyer

« Reply #138 on: June 02, 2020, 11:21:33 AM »
I've got an ecowitt GW1000 and thinking about getting a WS80. From what I can tell, the GW1000 will lose 2/3 of the data from the WS80, though, because in WS View I can't configure it to send data more frequently than every 16s and the WS80 reports every 5s from what I understand.

Does anybody have experience with this?

I reached out to EcoWitt and they were super responsive, but unfortunately since I'm in the US where the WS80 is an AmbientWeather exclusive, Lucy basically said that unless other customers were interested in this, they'd hold off on doing anything about it.

Ideally, I'd like the GW1000 to transmit data as and when an RF packet is received. That's what my ambient weather ObserverIP does.

But I imagine a trivial fix for this should be to allow us to configure a reporting interval of 5s and above instead of today's 16s and above.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #139 on: June 02, 2020, 11:42:47 AM »
I've got an ecowitt GW1000 and thinking about getting a WS80. From what I can tell, the GW1000 will lose 2/3 of the data from the WS80, though, because in WS View I can't configure it to send data more frequently than every 16s and the WS80 reports every 5s from what I understand.
We need more clarity on what you are trying to say. First some corrections. WS View does not send data. WS View only receives data from the GW1000 because it asks for it in its live view. I don't have a WS80 so your input here would be helpful. If you are saying that the WS View only sees updates every 16 seconds that is because that is how the WS View app has been configured....basically to just ask only every 16 seconds.

Yes you use WS View to configure the upload to various services...but it still isn't WS View that is doing the sending to those services. The WS View is just a window into the settings inside of the GW1000. It is the GW1000 itself that then sends the data to the various services at some determined interval. These upload intervals are not able to be changed as they are defined by the receiving service. What I'm saying is that it isn't up to the GW1000 to decide how often to upload data to the various services...unless they allow it. For example Weather Underground is the only service that allows less than 16 second uploads. In my experience (from various brands of weather stations and loggers) you should not exceed 3 seconds when uploading to Weather Underground as the Weather Underground counter will really not process your data any faster than every 3 seconds. I believe that the GW1000 right now only uploads to WU every 16 seconds because that was the maximum of their spinning anemometer. I can see changing the GW1000 to be able to upload to WU quicker than 16 seconds if you own a WS80. The fact that the WS80 is only available through Ambient in the US in inconsequential for this change in the GW1000, because the GW1000 is used worldwide where the WS80 is available from Ecowitt....so this potential update to the GW1000 would be beneficial to GW1000 users worldwide.

I reached out to EcoWitt and they were super responsive, but unfortunately since I'm in the US where the WS80 is an AmbientWeather exclusive, Lucy basically said that unless other customers were interested in this, they'd hold off on doing anything about it.
See my point above regarding US sales of WS80. This should not be an issue. Ecowitt doesn't need to know where you are. This potential change would benefit all users worldwide. But I still need clarity that you are referring to WU or to just WS View itself or both.

Ideally, I'd like the GW1000 to transmit data as and when an RF packet is received. That's what my ambient weather ObserverIP does.
Again the GW1000 uploading data to where? You aren't being clear as to where the data is going as it goes to many places. If you are referring to WU then this would be a change needed in the GW1000 firmware. If you are referring to the Live Data on WS View then that is not a change in the GW1000 firmware but rather a change in the WS View app as to how often to refresh its Live Data view, because what you see in WS View is only there because WS View is continuously asking for it.

But I imagine a trivial fix for this should be to allow us to configure a reporting interval of 5s and above instead of today's 16s and above.
Again lets be clear of where and for what?
Tele-Pole

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #140 on: June 02, 2020, 11:48:25 AM »
Just checked WSView and the GW1000 that is reading from the WS80 and I can confirm that the Wind data updates every 5 seconds on the display.
Hope that helps some, though not if you are unable to get the device in the USA.
Do you have any relatives overseas who could trans-ship it for you
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #141 on: June 02, 2020, 11:50:38 AM »
I'd like to revisit this point regarding the ObserverIP. What exactly are you saying that the ObserverIP does??? The ObserverIP is inferior to the GW1000 in just about every way possible. Are you talking about the ObserverIP's Live Data page? That is what I think you are talking about. The ObserverIP Live Data page does refresh quite frequently from what I remember. This data though is just for viewing pleasure and I suppose you could use one of the scripts that scrape this page for data. This is a poor method of getting data as it overwhelms the ObserverIP and it crashes often. The GW1000 with its local network API is superior. I understand that perhaps this Live Data page on the ObserverIP could get you quicker data. But if the question is about getting quicker data to some software then you can use one of the various 3rd party software packages with the GW1000 and you'll gain much better results. The "Customized" server upload feature of the GW1000 is limited to upload every 16 seconds and perhaps you can request that this limitation be changed and that would be a firmware upgrade on the GW1000 and other consoles with this feature.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #142 on: June 02, 2020, 11:52:54 AM »
Just checked WSView and the GW1000 that is reading from the WS80 and I can confirm that the Wind data updates every 5 seconds on the display.
Hope that helps some, though not if you are unable to get the device in the USA.

If you are in the US and you have GW1000 you can get the WS80 from Ambient. It will work. Because Ecowitt console with Ambient sensor is a working solution. It is currently out of stock...but it should be available at some point.
https://www.ambientweather.com/amwewsreulan.html

Excellent that the WS View does update quick enough to view the WS80 in its glory. I suppose that it still only uploads to WU every 16 seconds???
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 11:54:35 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline cmeyer

« Reply #143 on: June 02, 2020, 11:58:05 AM »
We need more clarity on what you are trying to say. First some corrections. WS View does not send data. WS View only receives data from the GW1000 because it asks for it in its live view. I don't have a WS80 so your input here would be helpful. If you are saying that the WS View only sees updates every 16 seconds that is because that is how the WS View app has been configured....basically to just ask only every 16 seconds.

My reference to WS View was for configuring the GW1000. AFAIK, the only way to configure the GW1000 so it directly reports to weather services is using WS View. I've configured mine to report to a custom server (I've got a server running http://www.weewx.com/) using the ecowitt protocol (being received by https://github.com/matthewwall/weewx-interceptor/). When configuring that, the reporting interval can be configured, but unfortunately only for 16s+. This determines how often the GW1000 will send a data packet to my web-based weather station.

Yes you use WS View to configure the upload to various services...but it still isn't WS View that is doing the sending to those services. The WS View is just a window into the settings inside of the GW1000. It is the GW1000 itself that then sends the data to the various services at some determined interval. These upload intervals are not able to be changed as they are defined by the receiving service. What I'm saying is that it isn't up to the GW1000 to decide how often to upload data to the various services...unless they allow it. For example Weather Underground is the only service that allows less than 16 second uploads. In my experience (from various brands of weather stations and loggers) you should not exceed 3 seconds when uploading to Weather Underground as the Weather Underground counter will really not process your data any faster than every 3 seconds. I believe that the GW1000 right now only uploads to WU every 16 seconds because that was the maximum of their spinning anemometer. I can see changing the GW1000 to be able to upload to WU quicker than 16 seconds if you own a WS80. The fact that the WS80 is only available through Ambient in the US in inconsequential for this change in the GW1000, because the GW1000 is used worldwide where the WS80 is available from Ecowitt....so this potential update to the GW1000 would be beneficial to GW1000 users worldwide.

Yes, I'm aware. Though you're mistaken on the upload intervals, when configuring a custom weather service, the reporting interval is one of the settings that is configured, along w/ IP/Port/Path/Protocol.

And yes, this change would be beneficial to GW1000 world-wide, which is why I'm reaching out on this forum.

See my point above regarding US sales of WS80. This should not be an issue. Ecowitt doesn't need to know where you are. This potential change would benefit all users worldwide. But I still need clarity that you are referring to WU or to just WS View itself or both.

I agree it shouldn't matter, but that's literally the first thing I was asked in response to my initial email. When I said I was located in the US, I was politely informed about AmbientWeather's exclusivity. I tried one more time to make my case, in response to which I was told they would consider it if more customers had the same requirement.

Again the GW1000 uploading data to where? You aren't being clear as to where the data is going as it goes to many places. If you are referring to WU then this would be a change needed in the GW1000 firmware. If you are referring to the Live Data on WS View then that is not a change in the GW1000 firmware but rather a change in the WS View app as to how often to refresh its Live Data view, because what you see in WS View is only there because WS View is continuously asking for it.

Yes, I should have been more clear on that in my initial post, sorry. For reference, this is what I did: https://github.com/weewx/weewx/wiki/gw1000-recipe

Again lets be clear of where and for what?

Hopefully we're clear now :)

Offline cmeyer

« Reply #144 on: June 02, 2020, 12:08:48 PM »

Yes, sorry for not being clear enough. WSView was just a means to an end for configuring the GW1000.

And yes, I do have overseas connections, so definitely interested in finding a solution :)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #145 on: June 02, 2020, 12:20:07 PM »
Yes, I'm aware. Though you're mistaken on the upload intervals, when configuring a custom weather service, the reporting interval is one of the settings that is configured, along w/ IP/Port/Path/Protocol.

Okay you are more clear now. But I did mention that "Customized" server upload is limited to 16 seconds as a minimum and that this could be a requested change in the GW1000 firmware, or maybe it is WS View that is acting as the limiter of valid configuration to send to the GW1000.

There are other ways to get data. If you use Cumulus MX for example it uses a different means for getting data from the GW1000 that is more instantaneous. The crutch that you are experiencing stems from the limitation of the "Customized" server upload and its 16 second limit. WeeWX is in the process of being updated to support the GW1000 API instead of needing to rely on the "Customized" server upload feature. Then WeeWX will be able to query for data as frequently as it wants....just as other software that currently uses the API can....like Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, and Weather-Display.

That said your point is valid. You don't need to mention WS80 to Ecowitt. The simple request you basically have is that they change the "Customized" server upload feature to allow for less than 16 seconds as an upload interval. The WS View is just a means of getting to the GW1000 settings. Perhaps though it is WS View that prohibits sending the configuration of less than 16 seconds to the GW1000.
Tele-Pole

Offline cmeyer

« Reply #146 on: June 02, 2020, 12:29:42 PM »
I'd like to revisit this point regarding the ObserverIP. What exactly are you saying that the ObserverIP does??? The ObserverIP is inferior to the GW1000 in just about every way possible. Are you talking about the ObserverIP's Live Data page? That is what I think you are talking about. The ObserverIP Live Data page does refresh quite frequently from what I remember. This data though is just for viewing pleasure and I suppose you could use one of the scripts that scrape this page for data. This is a poor method of getting data as it overwhelms the ObserverIP and it crashes often. The GW1000 with its local network API is superior. I understand that perhaps this Live Data page on the ObserverIP could get you quicker data. But if the question is about getting quicker data to some software then you can use one of the various 3rd party software packages with the GW1000 and you'll gain much better results. The "Customized" server upload feature of the GW1000 is limited to upload every 16 seconds and perhaps you can request that this limitation be changed and that would be a firmware upgrade on the GW1000 and other consoles with this feature.

Yes, the GW1000 is way more interesting than the ObserverIP, which is why I bought one in the first place.

What the ObserverIP does do well, however, is report RF-data as soon as it's received. So for instance w/ a WH24 that reports every 16s and a WH31 that reports every 60s, the ObserverIP reports to weather underground 4x per minute (3x for each WH24 update, once for the WH31). Hope that makes sense. If it supported the WS80, I'm pretty sure it would push out a report every 5s to my weewx interceptor (aka "customized" on the GW1000).

So just to be absolutely clear: for both the ObserverIP and GW1000, I'm only interested in their push abilities, not in their local web server (ObserverIP) or WSView polling (GW1000).

I figured out how to configure the ObserverIP via telnet to report to my WeeWX instead of Weather Underground years ago and that works great.

And yes, the customized server upload feature on the GW1000 is what I'm talking about:

I may still get a WS80 even w/ the current limitations, but having the GW1000 push out all the wind data would be awesome.

Okay you are more clear now. But I did mention that "Customized" server upload is limited to 16 seconds as a minimum and that this could be a requested change in the GW1000 firmware, or maybe it is WS View that is acting as the limiter of valid configuration to send to the GW1000.

There are other ways to get data. If you use Cumulus MX for example it uses a different means for getting data from the GW1000 that is more instantaneous. The crutch that you are experiencing stems from the limitation of the "Customized" server upload and its 16 second limit. WeeWX is in the process of being updated to support the GW1000 API instead of needing to rely on the "Customized" server upload feature. Then WeeWX will be able to query for data as frequently as it wants....just as other software that currently uses the API can....like Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, and Weather-Display.

That said your point is valid. You don't need to mention WS80 to Ecowitt. The simple request you basically have is that they change the "Customized" server upload feature to allow for less than 16 seconds as an upload interval. The WS View is just a means of getting to the GW1000 settings. Perhaps though it is WS View that prohibits sending the configuration of less than 16 seconds to the GW1000.

For my setup, the push configuration is way more interesting, because it simplifies deployment (don't need an extra piece of hardware on the same network polling the GW1000).

The GW1000 also has a firmware update bug when it's being used w/ a polling service, that'd be another reason to just use push instead.

For reference, here's the error about 16s-600s:

And not mentioning the WS80... That ship has sailed :)

However if any of you are interested in the same feature, send an email to support@ecowitt.com asking them to lower that limit from 16s to 5s :)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #147 on: June 02, 2020, 04:05:47 PM »
The GW1000 API also governs the WH2650 which is the generic name for the ObserverIP. I know this because the documentation for the GW1000 API is the same as the WH2650, as in the same document. Yes this means that the WH2650 can do the same API as the GW1000...but it can't be an ObserverIP from Ambient as they have modified their firmware. But please people....do not get overly excited about this. I highly recommend the GW1000 over the WH2650.

Therefore I think what you have accomplished by telnet into the ObserverIP is to basically override the default range for the upload interval. Since the GW1000 does not support telnet you can't go in and change this value to less than 16 seconds.

My conclusion is that the WS View app is acting as a rule checker and not permitting the selection of anything less than 16 seconds. But if the WS View app were to allow this value through to the GW1000 then I think the GW1000 would accept it and use it just as you have done with the ObserverIP.

What the ObserverIP does do well, however, is report RF-data as soon as it's received. So for instance w/ a WH24 that reports every 16s and a WH31 that reports every 60s, the ObserverIP reports to weather underground 4x per minute (3x for each WH24 update, once for the WH31). Hope that makes sense. If it supported the WS80, I'm pretty sure it would push out a report every 5s to my weewx interceptor (aka "customized" on the GW1000).
I ran an ObserverIP with a WH65 and WH31 for a long time. I don't see that it ever uploaded to WU but every 16 seconds is all...and they were not necessarily triggered by RF reception. I believe it just uploaded every 16 seconds on its own schedule and not determined by RF packets received. The GW1000 seems to do the exact same thing (send to WU every 16 seconds). Now I'm talking about the Ambient ObserverIP with Ambient firmware. If you have used telnet then you are either running an Aercus firmware or similar or you are running very old Ambient firmware since before the removed telnet. I still have my old ObserverIP (actually 2 of them) and they are in some box in a closet that I don't plan on digging out...I should have tossed those in the trash as I can't even in good conscience even sell them on eBay.

The GW1000 also has a firmware update bug when it's being used w/ a polling service, that'd be another reason to just use push instead.
What does this mean? I see your error screenshot regarding not allowing upload unless it is between 16-600. But how is that a bug? How is that an update bug? I see this as just telling the user that you can't enter in anything unless it is between 16 and 600 seconds.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 04:09:04 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline cmeyer

« Reply #148 on: June 02, 2020, 04:29:20 PM »
Therefore I think what you have accomplished by telnet into the ObserverIP is to basically override the default range for the upload interval. Since the GW1000 does not support telnet you can't go in and change this value to less than 16 seconds.

The ObserverIP does not allow for a "customized" weather service by default. What I accomplished by telnet is to have it send its data to my own web server instead of to WU's web servers.

I did not change any setting related to timing on the ObserverIP.

My conclusion is that the WS View app is acting as a rule checker and not permitting the selection of anything less than 16 seconds. But if the WS View app were to allow this value through to the GW1000 then I think the GW1000 would accept it and use it just as you have done with the ObserverIP.

My suspicion is it's the GW1000 itself, but I'll try running a network sniffer to see if the request ever makes it to the GW1000.

I ran an ObserverIP with a WH65 and WH31 for a long time. I don't see that it ever uploaded to WU but every 16 seconds is all...and they were not necessarily triggered by RF reception. I believe it just uploaded every 16 seconds on its own schedule and not determined by RF packets received. The GW1000 seems to do the exact same thing (send to WU every 16 seconds). Now I'm talking about the Ambient ObserverIP with Ambient firmware. If you have used telnet then you are either running an Aercus firmware or similar or you are running very old Ambient firmware since before the removed telnet. I still have my old ObserverIP (actually 2 of them) and they are in some box in a closet that I don't plan on digging out...I should have tossed those in the trash as I can't even in good conscience even sell them on eBay.

Since I have the ObserverIP report directly to my web server I can see exactly when each report comes in and it's definitely synchronized with the sensor reporting intervals. When my WH24 goes belly up, I only get reports every 60s (from the WH32). Whereas otherwise I get 4 reports per minute. I think that's pretty conclusive. WU wouldn't show you that level of detail.

And yes, I'm running an old version of the Ambient firmware precisely because they removed telnet in newer versions, preventing me from customizing the WU server target.

What does this mean? I see your error screenshot regarding not allowing upload unless it is between 16-600. But how is that a bug? How is that an update bug? I see this as just telling the user that you can't enter in anything unless it is between 16 and 600 seconds.

In the GW1000 thread people have reported that when it's used in polling mode, firmware updates will fail unless polling is suspended.

Offline cmeyer

« Reply #149 on: June 02, 2020, 04:50:48 PM »

My suspicion is it's the GW1000 itself, but I'll try running a network sniffer to see if the request ever makes it to the GW1000.

You are correct, it's the app. I used a network sniffer and confirmed your suspicion that it does not round trip to the GW1000 before showing the error (though it does when it succeeds w/ the settings save).

Whether or not the GW1000 would reject it, I don't know. But I might tinker with that.

anything