Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 110454 times)

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
PaulMy i to would like to know how you are showing Cumulus Console, pretty cool site you have there.
Thank you, and I need to clean up some of the dead links.

Since the Cumulus console is not related to this WiFiLogger thread I'll send you a PM.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
I am preparing reboot option. Sometimes WiFiLogger don't send data to the Internet and needs reboot.
My already working proposition is ping server 8.8.8.8 (Goodle DNS) every 60 minutes. If there is no valid ping, then 3xretry (1 min interval) and reboot.

Is this function should be always turn on?
Or should I make option to turn on/off?

Reboot is less than 8 second.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
127.0.0.1 is very reliable for ping tests.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
127.0.0.1 is very reliable for ping tests.
Best in the world to test if computer has Internet connection working :D  =D>

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Glad you got the joke.

In a situation where an Internet outage would leave the WiFiLogger needlessly rebooting, surely there is a better way. What if you ping test every 60 seconds and then on successive failure 3x then reboot, but set a flag before reboot. Then test for if flag exists before rebooting again in 60 seconds. So if flag is set then change check every 10 minutes then reboot again. Only clear flag after success ping.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Glad you got the joke.

In a situation where an Internet outage would leave the WiFiLogger needlessly rebooting, surely there is a better way. What if you ping test every 60 seconds and then on successive failure 3x then reboot, but set a flag before reboot. Then test for if flag exists before rebooting again in 60 seconds. So if flag is set then change check every 10 minutes then reboot again. Only clear flag after success ping.

I just don't want to generate network movement. This option is for units which stuck with no reason.
Not very often, but sometimes I have info about such thing. Sometimes reboot WiFiLogger helps, sometimes router reboot helps.
I just want to be sure that I have made my work to make it run. I won't make firmware for all router on earth to reboot, but in WiFiLogger this function already exist and working.
Only question is if it could stay fixed in firmware, or should user could turn it on.
From my point of view users don't want to setup anything, just plug in and should work. So no options at all, but there is no problem to ask :)

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
I am preparing reboot option. Sometimes WiFiLogger don't send data to the Internet and needs reboot.
My already working proposition is ping server 8.8.8.8 (Goodle DNS) every 60 minutes. If there is no valid ping, then 3xretry (1 min interval) and reboot.

Is this function should be always turn on?
Or should I make option to turn on/off?

Reboot is less than 8 second.

My vote would be to have it default to on but allow the user to turn it off. I neither need nor want my WiFiLogger to communicate with anything outside my local network, so it is a matter of supreme indifference to me whether it can reach the wider internet. I wonder, in fact, whether the very occasional problems I have had with weewx crashing might have anything to do with my WiFiLogger rebooting at just the wrong moment because it was having a problem reaching google.com!
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
    • Anthem North Parkside, AZ
Why not default to 8.8.8.8 but allow the user to change to another address if they want?

I was also thinking about an option to reboot WFL on a user defined schedule. Thoughts?

Davis Vantage Vue, Davis Pro 2 Console with Wifi Logger
Weather Display software
WU: KAZNEWRI17
PWS: ANTHEMNP
CWOP: EW7526

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Make the reboot/upgrade like that on Meteobridge.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
I am not familiar with Meteobridge and its topics. Could you say something more?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Why not default to 8.8.8.8 but allow the user to change to another address if they want?

I was also thinking about an option to reboot WFL on a user defined schedule. Thoughts?
Can be done, but in "secret" menu. I want menu more clear.
I will clear this manual pause option, because it has no sense, so why people have to look at this?

Offline bahuga

• Meteo-Sciez
I would prefer to have the option to turn on/off the automatic reboot.
Davis Vantage Pro 2
http://meteo-sciez.fr

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
I am not familiar with Meteobridge and its topics. Could you say something more?

Version control and reboot is user selectable.  See https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/System for public info
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
I have a wifi logger setting problem.
I have the 2.16 firmware on board, it should be the last one.

I am trying to make a template for my website work and I need the realtime.txt file to upload the data.
The wifi logger creates the file for me and loads it without problems but the file created has spaces in the text that shouldn't be there.
I go under Setup-Custom Export Setup and go to adjust the FTP File Settings .... here you can adjust the spaces etc. Do you know how to adjust?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
I have a wifi logger setting problem.
I have the 2.16 firmware on board, it should be the last one.

I am trying to make a template for my website work and I need the realtime.txt file to upload the data.
The wifi logger creates the file for me and loads it without problems but the file created has spaces in the text that shouldn't be there.
I go under Setup-Custom Export Setup and go to adjust the FTP File Settings .... here you can adjust the spaces etc. Do you know how to adjust?

Realtime.txt is a Cumulus export file. If I didn't make any mistake, then this file has to be like this. https://cumuluswiki.wxforum.net/a/Realtime.txt
It is made, because there is some software which is using this file.
In Custom menu there is only option to change CSV file with archive records. Only FTP at this moment.
I have made wflexp.json file to export real time data from WiFiLogger to the Intnernet. This JSON file contains all data from console + some config.
So this JSON file is a copy of console data.
JSON file you can export it with MQTT, to PHP script, via FTP.
JSON file is in console native units, you have to calculate it on your own, but it is very easy.

Please check my export:
http://wifilogger.net/station/php/wflexp.json
and simple template to view:
http://wifilogger.net/station/php/index.html
To change units, just click on it. Like on [°C]

Realtime.txt is a dead end. It contains only some part of console data.
JSON file can be readed by JavaScript and PHP libraries. Less work than with Realtime.txt, more usable info from file.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Learn something every day... I didn't know you can change units like that :oops:

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Learn something every day... I didn't know you can change units like that :oops:
Enjoy,
Paul
Only in this simple template. In WiFiLogger not, but I would like to change it to this system. It has COOKIEs which remember in your current browser what is your choice.

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
Thanks to all the advice I fixed the realtime.txt file, it was a question of setting the spacing.

I note that among the various options, I can use the wifi logger to load data on WU. I opened a free WU account, but in the settings it asks me whether to use RapidFire or not. What's the difference ? What interval should RapidFire give? Does the wifi logger manage all this stuff or is it overloaded ??? At the moment I'm uploading the files to WL Pro with a 10 minute interval, via FTP I'm sending the realtime.txt file for my site ..... if I add also WU, will everything work?

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
Thanks to all the advice I fixed the realtime.txt file, it was a question of setting the spacing.

I note that among the various options, I can use the wifi logger to load data on WU. I opened a free WU account, but in the settings it asks me whether to use RapidFire or not. What's the difference ? What interval should RapidFire give? Does the wifi logger manage all this stuff or is it overloaded ??? At the moment I'm uploading the files to WL Pro with a 10 minute interval, via FTP I'm sending the realtime.txt file for my site ..... if I add also WU, will everything work?
WU accepts your data and stores it. You can request your past data in .csv files. Think about your data at WU as your database but without the hassles.
A 5 minute interval is enough for historical data. And you can use the data from your WU account for the graphs for your HWS-template.

Wim
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 07:04:15 AM by wvdkuil »

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor

WU accepts your data and stores it. You can request your past data in .csv files. Think about your data at WU as your database but without the hassles.
A 5 minute interval is enough for historical data. And you use the data from your WU account for the graphs for your HWS-template.

Wim

I wanted to take it to 10 minutes as in WL is too much ?? He works well in WL in 10 minutes.

What is RapidFire for?

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe

A 5 minute interval is enough for historical data. And you use the data from your WU account for the graphs for your HWS-template.

Wim

I wanted to take it to 10 minutes as in WL is too much ?? He works well in WL in 10 minutes.
5 minutes  is more often used as more variance is logged into the history. But if you prefer 10 minutes, fine also.
What is RapidFire for?
RapidFire, (fuoco rapido) is the "name" of the every so many 3 or 5 seconds upload of the data. But for now you have no use of that data and WU is changing the protocols of that  upload also.
Wim

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster

Some weather services don't want to have data upload more often than every 5 minutes.
RapidFire is a service in WU which accept 2.5sec. intervals, but in WiFiLogger minimum 3s. In my opinion it is for wind observation, temperature don't need such fast uploads.
WeatherLink IP is uploading to WL.COM data with interval 1min. This is for real time data.
WeatherLink.com accept also archive history data from logger. It is exported every 1 hour in WL IP, but WiFiLogger makes this when data is written to console flash memory. So when logger is set to 1 min, then WiFiLogge will send it to WL.com every 1 min.
This history data can be downloaded to your PC using WeatherLink PC software. Ten you will have history data table and graphs on your PC. In 1995 year style, but it is working fine.

Other services accept real time data. Only WeatherLink.com accept archive records. This is a littlebit different data than real time. It is statistical data from arch interval time like 15, or 30 min.

About how many uploads can make WiFiLogger?
When you open debug page of WiFiLogger. http://WFL_IP/debug then there is text like : "Client response time: 202" this is in milliseconds.
Timeout is set to 15 sec. because of some services like wow.metoffice.gov.uk. It has big latency.
When you start to open new free accounts on different weather services you will notice that only WL.COM and WU.COM has servers good enought for all those weather stations. I like to use also PWS like this station here: https://www.pwsweather.com/obs/JULIANOWO.html

When WiFiLogger is triggered to make upload then it is a queue. So it should take 2-3 sec. to make uploads to all services, but sometimes can take more up to 15 sec. when connection is dropped and another service is served by WiFiLogger. Debug windows will show you the truth.

WiFiLogger has problem with one thing still, but I think I know what to do with it.
When WFL is reading archive from data logger memory, then console is freezeing. In this state It don't accept info from station, like temperature etc.
Reading of this memory can take up to 2 min and 15 sec.
So FTP export to CSV file it is not suitable for intervals like 1, 5 minutes.
WL.COM archive export works better because WL.COM server is sending info from when data should be uploaded. Then this operation take less than 1 sec. Great success.

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
The wifi logger is really spectacular !!!! Do what you should without problems.
I have a question ... when new firmware comes out and I will update online, do I lose my settings or keep them?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
I have a question ... when new firmware comes out and I will update online, do I lose my settings or keep them?
No. Settings are saved. You don't have to set your logger from the begining.

Unfortunatly you can't save settings to your PC, because settings contains your passwords, so reading of settings is blocked.

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
No. Settings are saved. You don't have to set your logger from the begining.

Unfortunatly you can't save settings to your PC, because settings contains your passwords, so reading of settings is blocked.

Very good, that's fine

anything