Author Topic: WeatherLink Auto Startup  (Read 1856 times)

Offline JRHill

WeatherLink Auto Startup
« on: April 16, 2023, 04:00:37 PM »
It's just a minor annoyance but has happened often in past times.... My computer has restarted after an update or I did it and I forgot to manually execute WeatherLink so it transmits to Davis. I was going to add it to the list of startup apps but that won't do any good because the Bulletin has to be clicked manually to establish the weatherstation download. Grrr. I forgot.

Does anyone know of a command line option to start the Bulletin when WeatheLink is executed? Or a different way to do this?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: WeatherLink Auto Startup
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 04:39:04 PM »
What about the [Auto Download] option under [Settings] or [Internet Settings] configuration under [Settings]

Offline JRHill

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 04:57:13 PM »
Hmm. What am I missing? I can't find a way to get to WeatherLink Network Upload: On until I click on upload or Bulletin.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 04:59:48 PM by JRHill »

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2023, 05:09:47 PM »
Could you outline in more detail exactly what you are uploading and for what purpose? Archive data, near real time and what logger?

Offline JRHill

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2023, 05:28:09 PM »
Pro2 Console via USB to the PC using WeatherLink 6.0.5, uploading to WeatherLink.com. The broken link is after a reboot and WeatherLink 6.0.5 has to have the manual step of clicking on the Bulletin to establish the communication between the PC/WeatherLink 6.0.5 to Weatherlink.com

I'm looking for a way to autostart WeatherLink 6.0.5 at boot and to have it self initiate the console download without manual intervention. If it can be done.

I have the ethernet memory adapter for the Pro2 console on my shopping list but the budget isn't cooperating so I have to play games with what I have.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2023, 05:44:28 PM »
There is a -d option that automatically downloads data from the station at startup, look under Help.Index Command-Line options

Offline JRHill

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 12:19:13 PM »
According to Help > Command Line Options using -d by itself will start WeatherLink, download the console data and the program will terminate. Using the -o option with  -p will keep WeatherLink running, supposedly. Unfortunately it still terminates after the download finishes  :-(  Oh well.

Thanks for all the pointers though!

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 04:58:14 PM »
So what terminates after the download, Weatherlink (itself) or the Upload?

Not that I run either the serial or USB logger uploading to WeatherLink.com but is it a condition that the Bulletin has to be open/running for this upload to occur? Is there a reference for this requirement as I have not seen anything in this regard?

Offline JRHill

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2023, 06:25:33 PM »
Starting WeatherLink, it displays an empty screen until Bulletin is clicked and the station is opened and data downloaded. When download is complete the station dashboard is displayed. From there the console data is collected from the console and WeatherLink uploads the data to WeatherLink.com at intervals.

Using "C:\WeatherLink\WeatherLink 6.0.5.exe" -o -d , WeatherLink opens the station, downloads the data and immediately closes when complete. It's supposed to stay running. I've reversed and tried -d -o with no difference nor does adding the station name (but since I only have one station is is opened by default).

I wish this program was still supported.... But I guess all this is why God had them create the ethernet adapter. Sigh.

Offline zeppline

• Las Vegas Weather Guy
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2023, 11:56:27 AM »
Try Google search for WeatherLink 605, look near bottom of page for the old version manuals. You can also use the task manger to start programs when Windows starts.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2023, 02:04:18 PM »
I remember a post here long back about a way to have WeatherLink go straight to bulletin after starting and downloading. I searched but couldn't find it. Anyone remember that ?

Offline JRHill

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2023, 03:24:57 PM »
It's probably along the same lines as this thread with the same command line options appended.

We've had our VPro2 for a long time. We've uploaded data for a long time. I have had the station redone by Davis and added options to make it a Plus with the calibrations. But in these days and times, purchases, upgrades and discretionary expenditures are highly scrutinized in our household. We have all we need with the station for our purposes. And our neighbors rely on our station to the degree they can get an internet signal. Which is another fun topic: we are on the side of a canyon. A microclimate if you will. Our data is rejected/minimized as the 5-10 mile away stations on a high prairie show completely different wind and temps. We always get one or two thumbs down for quality. But is our weather. I just want the uploads without hiccups. So we'll budget for the ethernet plug in to the console. It may be a while.

Offline Linkraft

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2024, 04:54:53 AM »
One approach could be to create a simple script that starts WeatherLink and then simulates the necessary clicks to open the Bulletin. This script could then be added to your startup items. Depending on your operating system, there are different scripting tools available, such as PowerShell for Windows or AppleScript for macOS.
For more detailed and customized solutions, especially if you're looking into automation and scripting, it might be useful to explore professional services that specialize in customizing software processes. A service like https://planfix.com/teams/marketing/ could offer the expertise needed to create a seamless and automated startup process for your WeatherLink.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 06:15:36 AM by Linkraft »

Offline meteosanjuan

• Meteosanjuan
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2024, 07:08:14 AM »
Take a look at this program. The author abandoned it a long time ago. I bought it years ago and I still use it. Take a look at the attachment.

https://www.snapfiles.com/get/startwatch.html

Offline mongo

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2024, 11:33:16 AM »
thanks for StartWatch link. Been looking for something like that [tup]
FW7415
KCOCASTL611
Stella Ranch WLL

anything