Author Topic: The search for live web based weather data other than WU RapidFire - clean slate  (Read 702 times)

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
There are some discussions about this that are several years old. Some recent issues with WU and continued frustration prompt this.

HW: Davis Vantage Pro2 6152; Davis Weatherlink Live
SW: Cumulus MX running on dedicated home Windows 10 PC consumes WLL data. Pushes my local weather data to WU, PWSWeather, CWOP and Windy through CMX.
Goal: access LIVE data similar to WeatherUnderground's RapidFire display of wind, temperature and rain data anytime, anywhere, any device; push to the above weather services and others.

What sort of works:
Davis WeatherLink Android app while IN HOME NETWORK. Once I'm off WiFi it's just another static at the moment display.
Cumulus MX requires running on individual machines while in home network. Off WiFi it's unavailable.
WeatherUnderground: perfect when not broken. It's often broken and continues to degrade since Weather Channel and IBM purchases.

So, what are options? I can program a little and can futz my way through hardware setups. I'm willing to completely scrap my hardware and move to something else if I can reach my goals, but would prefer to use my current investment if possible.

Thanks for listening.

John
Weather Underground PWS KMDNEWWI3

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
From MX, you could push real time updates through an MQTT service, you would need a little client of some sort to read the data stream and display it. I'd envisage this as a simple text based app for your primary data of interest, not a full blown web site type affair, though it could be made as glossy as the effort put in!

If you had your own web site, then that could be real time as well. If this were for your own consumption, you could host a web service on a rPi and allow in-bound connections to that (usual security precaution caveats apply). Then it is local on your own network and you can get your 2.5 second update rate for wind anywhere in the world via a browser.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 07:06:58 AM by mcrossley »
Mark

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
From MX, you could push real time updates through an MQTT service, you would need a little client of some sort to read the data stream and display it. I'd envisage this as a simple text based app for your primary data of interest, not a full blown web site type affair, though it could be made as glossy as the effort put in!

If you had your own web site, then that could be real time as well. If this were for your own consumption, you could host a web service on a rPi and allow in-bound connections to that (usual security precaution caveats apply). Then it is local on your own network and you can get your 2.5 second update rate for wind anywhere in the world via a browser.

So if I purchased website hosting on HostGator or GoDaddy, I could run MX on it, consume the data with a server client, then present to my own home grown web page? Hmmm...it's been a long time since I've written code but if it's that straightforward...
Thanks.
Weather Underground PWS KMDNEWWI3