Author Topic: Bloomsky Locations  (Read 9465 times)

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Bloomsky Locations
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2016, 07:42:41 PM »
After trying a few spots, I settled on the front of the house mounted on a board attached to a garden stake.

very nice....good job

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2016, 09:52:14 PM »
After trying a few spots, I settled on the front of the house mounted on a board attached to a garden stake.

Nice but, I think I would repaint that board so it blends in with the background colors. As it is, it's SCREAMING COME STEAL ME!!  ;)
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2016, 10:25:42 PM »
I guess the colour depends on what the owner likes in their garden and surroundings.  Mine at the moment is just some scrap 2x4 that I was able to pound in the front flower bed (which was limited due to ground frost).  However, someone stealing it is one of the last things we would think of in our neighbourhood.

Paul

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2016, 12:20:49 AM »
With me in Christchurch, New Zealand owning one, which us on its own, would be easy to track. After all when you connect it up, shows were it is located

Offline kc2kzz

• Solitude Village Weather
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2016, 08:15:20 AM »
My plan is to eventually put in a 4x4 post and mount it to that.  Right now I just have one of those green garden stakes with the plank screwed to it.

Ironically, I have a camera watching the camera.  I have a camera on the porch and the bloomsky is in sight of that, so if someone comes by and messes with it I will at least have them recorded.

Nice but, I think I would repaint that board so it blends in with the background colors. As it is, it's SCREAMING COME STEAL ME!!  ;)

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2016, 12:38:15 PM »
Yeah, but when someone connects it to wifi then it becomes track able,  so if it gets stolen and then a week later you see a new one appear near you, it maybe yours, so they can be tracked as they show up on map.

If you have it marked, or take note of serial numbers, etc then go and check it out, then you got the theft.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 12:40:22 PM by denodan »

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2016, 04:15:15 PM »
Yeah, but when someone connects it to wifi then it becomes track able,  so if it gets stolen and then a week later you see a new one appear near you, it maybe yours, so they can be tracked as they show up on map.

If you have it marked, or take note of serial numbers, etc then go and check it out, then you got the theft.

The way I understood it...if its stolen and you don't remove it from your account, then no one can register it....?

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2016, 07:21:35 PM »
Then the best thing is unregister it, then when they connect you got them.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2016, 09:07:13 PM »
Then the best thing is unregister it, then when they connect you got them.

Perhaps...but only if Bloomsky tracks stolen units.  For all you know your unit could end up across country or even overseas.

Offline thewxobserver

• Chester, Virginia
  • "Covering the weather one story at a time"
    • RVA Weather Network
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2016, 07:46:03 AM »
When I first received the unit it was on the ground to get everything set up. I too had issues with somebody walking into the front yard and just taking it. Left it there for about a week, we had a couple of days of winter weather followed by severe weather.

Since it was nice this weekend decided to move it to the roof because the kids like to play at the end of the street and I could see somebody kicking a ball into it or something. Didn't want to take a chance.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

While I was moving the unit it had some trouble checking to the router but it quickly fixed when it uploaded another photo. The router is about 50 feet away from the unit so no connection issues. Would like to get another unit for the backyard so overall you could have a complete view of the sky.

...nice....my only concern with roof vicinity mounts is the possibility of heat reflection. :shock:

I put the device on the roof mainly for the picture. Farther on the roof and on a pole I have an acurite weather station is given the correct readings for the current weather conditions.

Acurite Station / CWOP D0015 / WU KVACHEST36
Twitter @thewxobserver
RVA Weather Network

anything